Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Good PvP class for 200+ Ping

Hi Folks
    Tired of the "you need to be behind your target" when standing perfectly behind someone on my rogue, I'm looking at trying a new class. Problem is I am not sure what will be a good class with 200-250 ping. Reckful recomended S.Priest, but wanted some more insight into this

If it helps, Guys i play with play DK, Hunters, Ferals, Boomies and Enh

Thanks for your time

For high Uptime Id recommend a class that doesn't require you to be in melee range, and has a minimum of spells with a cast time. So maybe Hunter, Frost Mage.

I Know how you feel. I live in Aus as well and have played an enhancement shaman for the last 5+ years over here. I find even with playing ranged classes, unless they aren't focusing you, you will find they are not in front of you half the time due to melee jumping around you. Sadly there's no real way to beat the ping. It always bothers me when my brother tells me over skype that his ping is under30ms and I look at mine and I'm closer to 300 =/

[Banhammer, Kungen's Bane]

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry
    "As you look upon the mace, you hear the whining of a thousand fanboys. Something deep with in your soul makes it impossible to think anything but 'lol.'"

Any ranged class should be fine

Hunter not so much, silencing shot / pet stun / scatter / trap all won't do well with latency.

Spriest, Ele Shaman, Boomkin, Warlock. All of those should be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryft View Post
    For high Uptime Id recommend a class that doesn't require you to be in melee range, and has a minimum of spells with a cast time. So maybe Hunter, Frost Mage.
    If you miss a pet nova cause of a 300 ms ping it can be pretty unforgiving. Spriest does sound like the safest lag pvp class on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Snuggli View Post
    Hunter not so much, silencing shot / pet stun / scatter / trap all won't do well with latency.

Spriest, Ele Shaman, Boomkin, Warlock. All of those should be okay.
    Since 5.3 I have been getting terrible latency, and I can tell you that just messing around with my Elemental Shaman has been very frustrating. Before realizing that I had latency issues I even posted on the bug forums (and here) wondering if anyone else had noticed that Shamanism is broken (the passive that lowers Ele cast time by 0.5 on Lightning Bolt).

Having cast take 0.5. second longer than they should is not fun.

I'd guess Shadow Priest if any.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the feedback guys, i'll give s.priest a shot

Yeah spriest would probably be the most forgiving, or like said about elem shammy might work too, have not tried one with high latency

Frost Mage or Arcane Mage would be my choice if I had latency problems.

Deleted
    Pretty much any class that's not melee. I played on the US servers while being european for over 3 years and my latency raged from 250-400. You will always be at a disadvantage no matter what you play, but melee if pretty much stupid because while on top of the target "not in range" , getting ahead "facing the wrong" way.

Do not play a melee if your latency is that high, probably a hunter or mage or any spellcaster in that fact.

I've wondered this as well. I'm in oz and on a good day I will sit on 209ms but can go 300+. Playing a warrior in pvp has always seemed a little more difficult than I thought it should because of things like pummel missing because I'm not in melee (when it looks like I am) etc etc. Auto attacks are even an issue when people skip in and out of range. I've played unholy dk and found that to be more forgiving (in the past and in its current slightly op incarnation ), dot's and pets help to keep up dmg even when people are jumping about.

For higher ping I have no doubt that any range class is a better choice.

If, like me, you like melee then I'd suggest unholy dk as being the most latency friendly melee class/spec.

I have almost all classes up and I play on transatlantic ping, spriest is the least disadvantaged for sure. lock isn't far behind.

Make sure you set your inpug lag setting correctly, that can help.

Melee classes are basically unplayable in arena with more than 200 or so ping, without resulting in a serious feeling of frustration and annoyance.

Quick question for those still reading this. As part of investigating all the latency I'm getting with 5.3, I've uninstalled every addon except Quartz. When casting Quartz has the red part of the bar that shows the millisecond delay, and it's always much greater than the number that Blizzard reports. I imagine Blizzards numbers (seen when hovering over the System menu icon on the default UI) is just some sort of average where Quartz is at the time, but does anyone know why there is such a discrepancy?

Also, what I've found is that even when my ping is low, casting time is always 0.2 seconds slower than the tool tip (at least for me) for the first cast. When spamming with Quartz (and the lag settings on), I find that each subsequent cast is the right speed. That's great for PvE, but for PvP the chances of free casting is pretty much zero, so I'm wondering if that's the best I can expect without an incredibly low ping?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I tried PvP for the first time back in 2007, Burning Crusade era, when my latency was typically around 500ms to the US realms (playing from New Zealand).

I had the most success with my hunter and my affliction warlock. Melee was a complete waste of time.

I'd be interested to see how many oceanic players (assuming they also have 200+ms latency) have a 2200+ arena rating actually and what classes they play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Coming from playing for years in California with super low ping (usually <30) to now playing in Thailand with a ping never under 200 has been really frustrating. I have always been a melee guy and love my rogue and DK but the lag just makes it so hard to pull off.

It sucks because I don't really like playing casters or pet classes. It's a tough call choosing between being a little more effective on a class you don't like all that much vs being frustrated on a class you like.
    You thought the leaden winter would bring you down forever, But you rode upon a steamer to the violence of the sun...
    And you see a girl's brown body dancing through the turquoise, And her footprints make you follow where the sky loves the sea.
    And when your fingers find her, she drowns you in her body, Carving deep blue ripples in the tissues of your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Shomari View Post
    I'd be interested to see how many oceanic players (assuming they also have 200+ms latency) have a 2200+ arena rating actually and what classes they play.
    Ive been playing at around 2k rating as a rogue (from Aus on bg9) and have just recently levelled up both a hunter and spriest because I just cant handle the frustration anymore.. Vsing Tich rogues I simply can never out-sap them and ofcourse the whole running ontop of people and not being able to land an attack has done my head in. Still unsure which class I will be maining, as ive always played melee.

Deleted
    out of current strong classes it has to be hunter.