old vs new computer?

I have been looking around trying to compare computers, I really want to get just a laptop but when I try to compare CPUs and Videocards new laptops seem to just not stack up or around the same. I bought my computer around 7 years ago and I have the case open with a room fan on it otherwise it overheats and I have spilt beer on the fan blowing the beer all over the internals, and yet it till runs and has better benchmarks than some laptops now? Am I missing something?

My computer now is

Windows Vista
    iIntel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 2.4 GHZ
    3.00 GB of Ram
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT

I am looking at HP Pavilion g6-2235us Refurbished Notebook PC - AMD Dual-Core A6-4400M 2.7GHz, 4GB DDR3, 750GB HDD, DVDRW, 15.6" Display, Windows 8 64-bit (RB-C2N50UAR) as an example

The scores I find on CPU are generally worse than mine, and video card benchmarks are not that much better if not worse. Am I wasting my money with buying that laptop? or is the CPU benchmarks not the same due to the difference in generation?
    Last edited by tattoocheeseburger; 2013-05-29 at 02:43 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tattoocheeseburger View Post
    I have been looking around trying to compare computers, I really want to get just a laptop but when I try to compare CPUs and Videocards new laptops seem to just not stack up or around the same. I bought my computer around 7 years ago and I have the case open with a room fan on it otherwise it overheats and I have spilt beer on the fan blowing the beer all over the internals, and yet it till runs and has better benchmarks than some laptops now? Am I missing something?

My computer now is

Windows Vista
    iIntel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 2.4 GHZ
    3.00 GB of Ram
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT

I am looking at HP Pavilion g6-2235us Refurbished Notebook PC - AMD Dual-Core A6-4400M 2.7GHz, 4GB DDR3, 750GB HDD, DVDRW, 15.6" Display, Windows 8 64-bit (RB-C2N50UAR) as an example

The scores I find on CPU are generally worse than mine, and video card benchmarks are not that much better if not worse. Am I wasting my money with buying that laptop?
    In short, yes.

Laptops are in a different league compared to desktop computers. Even if you look at a very high end gaming notebook for like $2000 or more, any somewhat decent gaming pc for $1000 (including monitor) will outperform it.

The laptop you linked is in the lower performance league, so it's no wonder that your old (but good for it's time) computer matches or outperforms that.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

So as I thought, I would be better off getting something like

HP Pavilion p7-1410 H3Y79AA#ABA Desktop PC - 2nd Gen. Intel Core i3-2130 3.40GHz, 8GB DDR3, 1.5TB HDD, DVDRW, Windows 8 64-bit

and tossing in a Geforce GTX 560?

Deleted
    How much is the cost?

Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    How much is the cost?
    I am getting one for my wife and one for myself, looking at around 500-600 per computer (tower only)

That is not particularly great for $600 per PC, it's using integrated graphics and an i3.

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    That is not particularly great for $600 per PC, it's using integrated graphics and an i3.
    yea I know but we only game like once a week so I didn't want to drop a ton of money for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't mind Medium settings, and don't plan on doing LFR reliably, then the HP G6 2235 is actually not all that bad. I did a review of that exact unit here, which is currently sitting on my desk behind me running my minecraft server.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ATI-7520G-GPU)
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab