Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

1 billion to spend, don't know where to invest (monk)

Hi!

I've recently starting playing a Monk, due to my friend always talking about it, and I must admit, it's alot of fun.

I've already spend around 200mil on gear, used some stuff from my DH aswell but I'd like to get to a gear lvl that can handle MP10.
    (At a decent rate, should be np with the wave of light build.)

I've got 1 billion to spend and I'm not quite sure where to invest it.

My current hp & resist seem okey, I'd really like to stay above 600 resist and 40k hp, preferably even higher and reach the 200k dps mark.

Any tips, advice would be very much appreciated!

Thank you.
    Last edited by mmoc9e3819584c; 2013-05-29 at 05:28 PM.

you have a pretty solid base. craft amulets. can get better. craft bracers, can get better. nat's ring is meh. no cc or cd. nat's boots could use vit

weapons. i know some advocate for super high cd over dps but i disagree. for your mh, keep an eye out for something close to or over 1100 dps, 100-120+ dex, 60% cd, 2.8 LS.

your offhand could go several directions. first, ask yourself if you need dual ls. at 180-200k+ damage, one ls weapon can be enough until you run into RD packs. nice to have even a lower weapon for that scenario. otherwise look to upgrade that offhand with an ef that is 1000+dps, .24-.25 aps, 60-80% cd.

perhaps try a wkl. some people like em, i personally don't. certainly they can give a great boost to edps, but they can't really help past a certain point, they are just too limited on dps. however, the skills you are using make you a prime candidate for one.

worst case, look for another sword similar to the MH stats i described above.

try dropping resolve passive, too. pretty weak. with the abilities you are using, beacon of ytar could be very good

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Astug View Post
    Hi!

I've recently starting playing a Monk, due to my friend always talking about it, and I must admit, it's alot of fun.

I've already spend around 200mil on gear, used some stuff from my DH aswell but I'd like to get to a gear lvl that can handle MP10.
    (At a decent rate, should be np with the wave of light build.)

I've got 1 billion to spend and I'm not quite sure where to invest it.

My current hp & resist seem okey, I'd really like to stay above 600 resist and 40k hp, preferably even higher and reach the 200k dps mark.

Any tips, advice would be very much appreciated!

Thank you.
    Your weapons are bad, With that type of money i would invest in weapons ASAP. You can should be able to pick up new weapons on the AH around 1200 dps+ with Life steal and dex for cheap. Infact Last night i bought an Echoing fury for my monk friend with 1274k DPS 2.8% Life steal with 165 dex for just 25m so its not going to break the bank. If you dont see deals just wait. If it takes a week to gear - so be it. You can go really far with a billion.

You should be able to snip a better WH too off the AH for 5 - 50m.
    " The fear of God is the beginning of Wisdom, Therefore he who has no fear of god has no wisdom "
    People saying we are in the end-times really don't know anything. Such as there's going to be 7 years of world peace before it happens and as long as china and russia are still a thing its safe to say its not going to happen anytime soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get a Nat's Ring with crit chance. Found a 9 avg damage, 84 dex, 5 crit chance, 47 poison resist (your resist it seems) for 120 million, though this is U.S. server. The rest of your gear is fine, minus anything you can craft. Spend some time gathering Demonic Essence, go crazy crafting amulets, bracers, gloves, and shoulders. You can probably get some Nats boots with higher dex for a couple hundred million.

Your weapons are fine. With higher damage, you probably only need one with life steal, so you could look for an Echoing Fury or other weapon with no life steal, and higher damage. Remember, the crit damage knocks your damage up high, so high it's better than actual dps most of the time. Dex/crit damage Echoing Fury's over 1k dps are going to cost you too much. But I found a rare mace with 1084 dps, 126 dex, 73 crit damage, and socket for 35 million. Due to being able to compare your gear to auction house gear now, it's a lot easier to find good deals. Since you have a socket on yours, you can either take it off to compare, or think about 13k or so dps lower for the gem (probably easier to just remove if it's not marquise). If you really want, and you plan on sticking with that cookie-cutter build, you can go for a Won Khim Lau, but make sure it has high (25% max) lightning damage bonus.

Any Witching Hour upgrade is gonna cost you 40 million +, unless you drop the vitality, which I would not suggest.

You don't really need the 3-piece Inna's set bonus, but it's a nice chest. If you can, start crafting a bunch of BOA chests too. Might not end up with the best stats, but you can get one with all resist and possibly other stats on top of what you already have.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2013-05-29 at 08:28 PM.

no, seriously. like jaroko said, they are crap.
    use d3up: http://d3up.com/b/690338
    plug in an 1100 dps sword (say 550-1075 @ 1.4) at 55% cd. that's an 18k upgrade
    plug in a 1050 dps ef (500-950 @1.45 w/.25 aps) at 55% cd. now it's a 32k dps upgrade.
    4.5% cc on the nat ring brings it up to 40k. more likely you won't find the same avg dmg tho. but if you find an avg of say 30, you'll still be at 38k up.

at this point you will have lot some vit. try to gain it back with crafting. this is also a big reason vit on weapons is a *bad* thing. you get painted into a corner when you try to upgrade the weapon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelfin View Post
    no, seriously. like jaroko said, they are crap.
    use d3up: http://d3up.com/b/690338
    plug in an 1100 dps sword (say 550-1075 @ 1.4) at 55% cd. that's an 18k upgrade
    plug in a 1050 dps ef (500-950 @1.45 w/.25 aps) at 55% cd. now it's a 32k dps upgrade.
    4.5% cc on the nat ring brings it up to 40k. more likely you won't find the same avg dmg tho. but if you find an avg of say 30, you'll still be at 38k up.

at this point you will have lot some vit. try to gain it back with crafting. this is also a big reason vit on weapons is a *bad* thing. you get painted into a corner when you try to upgrade the weapon.
    If I change the stats on my MH to exactly what you describe, 550-1075 /w 55% CD and socket /w 100% crit gem I gain 1.9k. :/

Even /w 6% crit on nat's ring it's still worse than mine.

EDIT:

New EF, as suggested. Gained 15k dps, lost half my LS though.

I can't seem to find ANYTHING better than my MH without losing LS on it aswell. Which is a no-go.

ANY ~1100 dps sword, with 50% crit and socket is equal or worse compared to my current MH.
    I honestly don't understand where you get that number.

EDIT2:

Got new gloves and bracers after crafting 75 of each. Lost alot of resistance tho.
    Last edited by mmoc9e3819584c; 2013-05-30 at 01:45 AM.

???? wth ???
    if i go use your updated profile in d3 up and plug those numbers in, i see a 10k upgrade.
    go here: http://d3up.com/b/690338
    click simulate
    under your MH, Fulminating Rake, click simulate button to the right
    in damage, use 550-1075
    change crit damage to 55
    i see 10,577.29 dps upgrade

are you just looking at AH? if so, you are seeing a comparison to an empty socket. the filter you want is:
    dex: 100
    has socket
    crit damage: 55 (maybe even 45-50, to keep it cheap)
    life steal: 2.8 (or 2.9-3 if you can afford it)
    hit search and sort by dps. see if anything is affordable. with an ef, either a sword or axe will work equally well.

also, why did you do that to your ef? the point was to have high aps, dps, CD and OS

edit: example of good ef:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/A.../hero/30854234

that's my DW setup. i also use a unity to get a bit of LoH to make up lack of ls on 2nd weapon. have a little on my nat's, too, but that's just until i find something i like better.

don't copy my MH. that's actually my s&b weapon. works great for bells. i'll eventually grab an axe along the lines of what i described above. something around 1100 dps, 60%+ CD, OS, 2.9 LS. just haven't found one reasonable here in the US AH yet. atm it's cheaper to swap gems than to pay the insane prices since the gold dupe fiasco.
    Last edited by Aelfin; 2013-05-30 at 06:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    don't copy my MH. that's actually my s&b weapon. works great for bells. i'll eventually grab an axe along the lines of what i described above. something around 1100 dps, 60%+ CD, OS, 2.9 LS. just haven't found one reasonable here in the US AH yet. atm it's cheaper to swap gems than to pay the insane prices since the gold dupe fiasco.
    Aw, literally just sold one to a mate earlier today Was 2.8 LS though.

Classic Herod: Sinnermighty - Blood Legion (Unretired)

Deleted
    ???? wth ???
    if i go use your updated profile in d3 up and plug those numbers in, i see a 10k upgrade.
    go here: http://d3up.com/b/690338
    click simulate
    under your MH, Fulminating Rake, click simulate button to the right
    in damage, use 550-1075
    change crit damage to 55
    i see 10,577.29 dps upgrade

are you just looking at AH? if so, you are seeing a comparison to an empty socket. the filter you want is:
    dex: 100
    has socket
    crit damage: 55 (maybe even 45-50, to keep it cheap)
    life steal: 2.8 (or 2.9-3 if you can afford it)
    hit search and sort by dps. see if anything is affordable. with an ef, either a sword or axe will work equally well.

also, why did you do that to your ef? the point was to have high aps, dps, CD and OS

edit: example of good ef:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/A.../hero/30854234

that's my DW setup. i also use a unity to get a bit of LoH to make up lack of ls on 2nd weapon. have a little on my nat's, too, but that's just until i find something i like better.

My bad, I was looking for a MH with the stats you described but without the dex roll.

I just searched for it, with the filters you suggest and there are none over 1100dps (neither sword or axe).
    And when I compare mine with the ones with the higher dps (~1050 dps, ~55 CD, 2.8 LS, ~100 dex & socket) I gain 2k dps at the most. (I unsocketed my MH to compare correctly in AH.)

What's wrong with the EF I bought? I know it doesn't have CD, but the high dex roll makes up for it, atleast in sheet dps.

An EF /w 50% CD & socket and with the same dps is better, but they are all listed at 700mil+
    If I were to go for an EF with only 1050 (as you suggest) with 50% CD and socket, the dps is about the same (some a 2k gain, some a 2k loss, f.ex. 1075 dps, 156 dex, .25 aps, 56 CD & socket is only a 1k dps gain) compared to the one I have now. That's why I bought it. It was 100mil, which is alot cheaper than ones /w CD at that dps.

EDIT: Bought a new MH, gained 6k.
    Last edited by mmoc9e3819584c; 2013-05-30 at 05:46 PM.

Deleted
    If you wanna use bell then grab a dex skorn with 5%+ ls, i use skorn myself and i rip mp10 apart ^^

What's wrong with the EF I bought? I know it doesn't have CD, but the high dex roll makes up for it, atleast in sheet dps.

An EF /w 50% CD & socket and with the same dps is better, but they are all listed at 700mil+
    If I were to go for an EF with only 1050 (as you suggest) with 50% CD and socket, the dps is about the same (some a 2k gain, some a 2k loss, f.ex. 1075 dps, 156 dex, .25 aps, 56 CD & socket is only a 1k dps gain) compared to the one I have now. That's why I bought it. It was 100mil, which is alot cheaper than ones /w CD at that dps.

EDIT: Bought a new MH, gained 6k.
    my turn to say my bad. missed the extra dex on your ef. outstanding inexpensive alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by nenshu View Post
    If you wanna use bell then grab a dex skorn with 5%+ ls, i use skorn myself and i rip mp10 apart ^^
    skorn is fun, to be sure. i def like in my tr build. and i know some that just dig going 2H. i've tried it out, and personally, i just don't dig the "slowness" of it. rip breath makes a bell big enough for me. i prefer the stats of shield without giving up to much attack speed. or the extra attack speed of ef.

mostly, oustside of tr, i just don't like the slow attack speed and spirit regen unless i go with a nirvana build

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Get a Nat's Ring with crit chance. Found a 9 avg damage, 84 dex, 5 crit chance, 47 poison resist (your resist it seems) for 120 million, though this is U.S. server. The rest of your gear is fine, minus anything you can craft. Spend some time gathering Demonic Essence, go crazy crafting amulets, bracers, gloves, and shoulders. You can probably get some Nats boots with higher dex for a couple hundred million.
    Thanks for the crafting tip. Got some great hands and bracers now, could still be better though. Can't seem to find any Nat boots with higher dex with similar rolls.
    I've been looking out for a GOOD crit/avg dmg nat's ring, but the ones worth the upgrade are ridiculously expensive (500mil).

skorn is fun, to be sure. i def like in my tr build. and i know some that just dig going 2H. i've tried it out, and personally, i just don't dig the "slowness" of it. rip breath makes a bell big enough for me. i prefer the stats of shield without giving up to much attack speed. or the extra attack speed of ef.

mostly, oustside of tr, i just don't like the slow attack speed and spirit regen unless i go with a nirvana build
    Personally, I agree. 2H just feels to slow for me, especially on a monk.

Deleted
    too slow? what's faster than 1 shotting white mobs and 3 shotting elites on mp10? i am sitting at 1.4 attack speed and spirit is not a problem at all, just don't use a crappy build but whatever works for you.

too slow? what's faster than 1 shotting white mobs and 3 shotting elites on mp10? i am sitting at 1.4 attack speed and spirit is not a problem at all, just don't use a crappy build but whatever works for you.
    Armory link? And how much did it cost you to make this set?

Gems are a good investment, don't forget those. You can always resell them for about the same as you purchased them for.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PropGames View Post
    Gems are a good investment, don't forget those. You can always resell them for about the same as you purchased them for.
    This is the 2nd thread I've seen you post a useless comment in today. You're just upping your post count, for whatever reason.

If you had checked my profile, you would have seen that I'd have to spend 90mil for a 1.2k dps upgrade if I were to upgrade my gems.

If you had checked my profile, you would have seen that I'd have to spend 90mil for a 1.2k dps upgrade if I were to upgrade my gems.
    I have to add a useless post, too. Just to say I LOL'd at this.
    Yeah, gems should be the last thing to upgrade.

nenshu, i'd like to see that profile, too. i'd be interested in going into an mp10 game with ya, too, and observing your setup for comparison.
    Last edited by Aelfin; 2013-05-31 at 10:34 PM.

Deleted
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/bnn-2863/

my profile, you can just add me ingame aelfin

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/bnn-2863/

my profile, you can just add me ingame aelfin
    Drats, you're on EU. I'm pretty poor myself so I doubt I'll be able to get much higher than I'm at. I see though that you're running a TR build sort of, because you have tailwind and SW: inner storm but with 35% AS and only 2 piece Inna's you couldn't possibly keep it up for long. I personally have a few gear changes that let me run forever but only 111k dps when I do. If I change out a few pieces I can hit 143k I believe but no more infinite TR.

As I said I'm poor, think I only have about 20 mil left to my name after buying some of the stuff but any thoughts on where I can pick up some more DPS?
    Profile: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/B...4/hero/7480753

Deleted
    i only use tempest rush to gather large packs of mobs and to move around so sweeping doesn't run out, it doesn't drain much spirit because of inner storm regens 3 pr second at 3 stacks, beside i get additonal 15 spirit pr crit because of quickening rune on fist so i restore 21 spirit pr. crit and i use "the guardian's path" passive which increase my spirit regen by 35% when using 2handed. I do get low on spirit at times from moving and gathering but i have 51% crit so with quickening rune i get full spirit in no time so i can use bell all the time as it's my primary damage dealer

edit: 20mil is not much, but craft better shoulders your vile wards are pretty poor, i don't know why you use 4 set inna, but you can get cheap better witching hour with dex/vit, other than that the rest will cost a bit more upgrading, next would be a better skorn imo.
    Last edited by mmoc617c38325f; 2013-06-02 at 08:20 AM.