10+ Year Old Account

Monk Tank, Struggling progression please help

Hello all, sorry if this is the wrong spot for this post. Our raid group is struggling and I am wondering if our Tank is pulling his own or should be doing something different. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Log
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/96d966uodjrgn46k/

Armory
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Kirmar/simple

I'll need to dive into the logs but at first glance at his armory I can tell you that he needs to get rid of all that haste and gem/reforge into crit. 7,000 haste is FAR too much when he has the 4 set and talents Ascension.
    Last edited by Nalloa; 2013-05-29 at 09:39 PM. Reason: spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanimus View Post
    Go tank. You'll live longer.

Can't say the same thing about keeping your hair, though.

Yes. He has too much haste.

Looking at Megaera attempts, he has good shuffle uptime. His elusive brew uptime is pretty high, even accounting for rampage phases when you're not burning it. I suspect he may be sitting on elusive brew stacks.

Mechanically, he seems to be doing pretty well. He accounts for much of his own healing, although I suspect he's missing out on some of his Gift of the Ox orbs. I imagine the problems with the raid lie elsewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good what I suspected but wanted confirmation. Thank you guys for your help.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggety View Post
    I imagine the problems with the raid lie elsewhere.
    This, logs doesn't really show anything that would make or break you on normal mode. Could be a joint thing, a missed purify, bad choice on Elusive brew and no energy for expel harm and he goes splat on some fights. But that could be a bad call from a healer, bit of trouble on mechanics from the rest of the raid.

Raiding is a team sport. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Biggety View Post
    Yes. He has too much haste.
    Everything I've read says haste is personal preference(between 3 and 8k is acceptable to me). It's certainly not why he's dying

If he's getting gibbed by boss melee damage you can try a bit more stam/mastery. The crit build requires a lot of skill managing active mitigation. Brewmasters have an unhealthy aversion to stam right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Felade View Post
    Brewmasters have an unhealthy aversion to stam right now.
    It isn't unhealthy, it just ISN'T needed. Brewmaster is HEAVILY dependent on skill at watching buffs/procs and telling what you need and where you need it. Then you have to top it off with knowing where to move the boss and what abilities to watch out for.

I would drop a little Haste down to about 7k if he really wants to stay there, it will give you a little more "give" in your rotation (there are plenty of brewmasters who go with 7k or more haste). 6000-6500 is what higher end Brewmasters hang around, but I don't recommend it for new comers till they get a really good feel for the spec and rotation. Overall his stats look okay.

I don't have time to look at his logs in depth but...... I don't think it is him that is causing you to fail.

Deleted
    His uptime on shuffle is great and looking at the frequency of his heavy stagger he is purifying pretty often. However he should really be using guard and dampen harm more frequently, especially since guard will stop the spike damage of breaths and in combination with using expel harm during/just after each breath there should be almost zero spike damage.

Out side of that he should really drop haste as considering he has the BM 4-set bonus there is no reason to run above 5k haste and the extra crit he would gain from the reforge massively reduces physical attack damage (especially considering the interaction with BM-2p). Basically if you have enough haste to maintain shuffle put everything else into crit. A few times he is sitting on 15 stacks of elusive brew which should be used (provided its not during rampage).

Looking at other parts of the raid, your palla tank should be using sacred shield for every fight and keeping this up, refresh at high veng/just before breaths.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by boborcs View Post
    ... A few times he is sitting on 15 stacks of elusive brew which should be used (provided its not during rampage). ...
    That's the second time I'm reading something along those lines ... is rampage damage not dodge-able? (seriously curious!)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hakhu View Post
    That's the second time I'm reading something along those lines ... is rampage damage not dodge-able? (seriously curious!)
    No, it's raid wide magic damage. Magic damage is never dodge-able.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DirewolfX View Post
    No, it's raid wide magic damage. Magic damage is never dodge-able.
    Wow. Logically that doesn't make any sense (but how much does in WoW). It's a slow-ass projectile ... if I'm gonna dodge anything it'd be that.

But no, with WoW logic I'm doomed to be hit by it but when there are 12 mobs beating on me from all sides ... sure, I'm gonna dodge 4 of those hits. Makes sense.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hakhu View Post
    Wow. Logically that doesn't make any sense (but how much does in WoW). It's a slow-ass projectile ... if I'm gonna dodge anything it'd be that.

But no, with WoW logic I'm doomed to be hit by it but when there are 12 mobs beating on me from all sides ... sure, I'm gonna dodge 4 of those hits. Makes sense.
    Rampage is a massive AoE.... there's fire and ice and acid (and maybe arcane bolts) raining down everywhere... Perhaps you take issue with the graphical representation of it, but the concept is that the entire room is being bombarded with elemental damage.

Meanwhile, a mage's fireball has homing properties, so you can't dodge it. It doesn't matter how slow it is, since it'll just lock on and keep following you.

Your monk tank looks good for a crit build. That being said I would recommend he run over to http://www.sunniersartofwar.com which is a great place to get Brewmaster advice.

The biggest issue I see looking at your Maegera fight is that your tank isn't talented correcty. On Maegera Dampen Harm wont out perform Diffuse Magic given that the the majority of incoming damage is Magic damage. I would also make sure he is using Glyph of Guard for this fight. Monk tanks have a pretty big tool box and using the right tools for each fight can have a huge impact on incoming damage.

Lastly, if your guild is doing progression I can't recommend enough a stam + mastery build. Theckphd and Sunnier have both recently posted extensively on the benefits of builds that smooth incoming damage vs builds that avoid it. The idea being that large spikes of physical burst damage cause the most tank deaths in ToT at this time. I used a heavy haste crit build for the first few weeks and have since switched to mastery for over a month now. I find Mastery to be a much better build as it makes my damage predictable and much less spiky my healers have even commented on how much easier it is to heal me and the raid.

Couple of things on megs tho- the spike damage is magic, so mastery build is not helpful. More valuable to go crit. Diffuse magic and guard glyph already mentioned. EB may well be pooled on this fight. You'll sit on a 15 stack both during rampage and breath, you only want it active in between breaths for the melee attacks.

Note that fire head dot also does a chunk of damage to any tank, if you're seeing 3 or more stacks it's just more work for healers. (i didn't look at logs)

After looking at the logs, your Brewmaster seems to be doing everything properly. Now looking at the dps that is where I think of the problem lies. Your Balance Druid is not pulling the numbers that he needs to pull at all. In my guide our druid is pulling insane numbers and he is usually first on our damage done. I know they are probably one of the best dps at the moment. Try and start there since the brewmaster is looking good! hope things work out for you!