Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    When I was 20, I was fired for being a white male working at Subway. Swear to god haha. Everyone else was black. I was the only white male there. I only lasted maybe 4 weeks. They would ask me to come in and just do prep and dishes in the morning. I would hardly ever make sandwiches. 4 hours a day for maybe 4 days a week. Said forget this, im leaving for the air force soon anyways.

I remember when she went to " let me go because I wasn't, " Working out ", she wanted me to fill out this release form. I told her, " fuck you and you can take this form and shove it up your black ghetto ass ". Took off my apron and hat, threw it in the trash, walked to the door, turned around, flicked her off ( all in front of customers too lmao ), and left.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deezlar View Post
    Hmm. I personally (obviously with the luxury of choice) would not work for that company..

You do not EVER need to breed fear to promote your standards and processes in a business... being consistent and having the right processes in place in the first place, limit this kind of insubordination.

Note I say limit.. one place I managed, I was quite close with a guy that worked for me.. Same taste in music, same attitudes towards "stuff"... Yet I find out he was stealing from my tills almost every night.

Sometimes shit happens, and you cannot account for the personalities and quirks of people... I never once thought of making an example of him, even just as a stat on a firing board.
    I don't think it's fear, it's a very big and highly respected British company. I honestly don't know why it's there, perhaps I will read it all and maybe it will explain when I go to work next.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, many times. Apparently I make it a point to get fired instead of quit.

Subway: three write-ups. Here's the thing: I was "promoted" to closer, and did not receive the quarter raise. That wasn't the issue though. I was never actually trained on closing, I literally just had to wing it. The store manager at the time was someone I went to high school with. The first two write-ups came about when I closed one day. The side door was left unlocked, and something on the line was over the fill limit (yes, the lines on those pans mattered, if you filled it too high, the thing under it couldn't keep it properly cooled). I don't remember doing either, but the main problem was, I was written up almost a week later. Suspicious, no? The third write-up? Swearing, loudly, and a customer heard, or so I was told, after seeing that my paycheck had $50 taken out of it, because one of my registers came up short one night. It came up short, because I switched registers (I had to switch to drive-thru register each night because that's the only part open for an hour), so the numbers were off. There was never any proof that any money came up short (and of course, I didn't take anything, and there's no way I could even give away $50, we didn't even accept bills over $20 bills). After that, I was fired. Shortly before I was fired, she hired someone, and had them immediately training to be a closer. Which felt odd to me, since NO ONE got to close without working for awhile. Even weirder? She said, as soon as she hired him "he's a friend of mine, so.....". Stop right there. She hired a friend, had him immediately start a job he wasn't prepared for, and fired her main closer? uh huh, yeah, that's believable. Anyway, after I left, a few weeks later, her (dumb, and incredibly slow, might I add) friend, broke into and robbed the store. You can't make this shit up.

Wal-Mart: My fault mostly. Excessive absences, something I don't typically have a problem with. To be fair, I asked a manager how many days I had left before I got fired, and I was told I had another day available. Those of you who know Wal-Mart and it's reputation, know that this isn't really a surprise.

Dairy Queen: I could write a novel, but long story short, I complained about actual issues, including health and safety issues, and the other people in the kitchen doing zero work. Why did they do zero work? Well, because they were of the same nationality as the owners, so they could get away with fucking murder. Anyway, I complained one too many times, and the owner's brother started screaming at me during a store meeting (first one we ever had in the year and a half I worked there). I tried calming him down, but he wouldn't, and eventually told me to get the hell out of "his" store. I should remind you, his sister ran the store, signed the checks. Whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eldritchforeshadow View Post
    Yes because I told my work I wanted a career and wanted to leave on a certain date but instead of accepting my resignation, they fired me and I have been out of work for months. Luckily, I have just been hired for a new job!
    You should NEVER voluntarily leave a job, until you have been given a job offer at another place. Its the only way to avoid that problem. Plus it makes it harder to get another job if they fired you for quitting

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. Can't get fired when I've never had a job

Hell ya and I was totally expecting it. It was a combination of their lack of work for me and my "lack of detail". I pretty much missed something once that didn't even really matter, I mean all I had to do was go back in the computer and fix it so I think they just used it as an opportunity to fire me instead of lay me off. They had been sending me home early for a few weeks because they had nothing for me to do. They also fired probably about 4 people during the few months I was there, and this was a place that had no more than 8 employees at any given moment.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2013-05-29 at 10:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've got about two weeks left on my probation before I find out whether I've been hired or fired, due to the company downsizing by 10%.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Yup, was updating a database for a client, some file with a blank icon was on the desktop, which is where I copied the files to update the client. Same icon,very similar name, I thought it was the file to update the database, turns out it was an older version of their database.

Client lost database, and of course their backup program was backuping everything but their database.We were able to rebuild it but manager decided to fire me , she didn't saw a future in me for this company even though I had been working there for 5 months and she got hired after me.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    You should NEVER voluntarily leave a job, until you have been given a job offer at another place. Its the only way to avoid that problem. Plus it makes it harder to get another job if they fired you for quitting
    It all depends.. I left my £30k a year job as a food/bev retail manager because I was bored and wanted to go to Uni... Luckily my wife is all kinds of fucking shades of awesome, and believed that I could do it and supported me, 3 years later I graduated with a first class honours degree in Computing, and now earn shit loads more than that, and WAY more importantly, I am happy and really loving my work!!

Trust me, there are harder thing in this day and age to explain away in an interview than a case of Quitting to better yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got fired from a fire alarm testing company because my immediate supervisor was padding timesheets. Basically, the Lead Inspectors are salaries position, and had to work 38 hours a week to justify the salary. The regular inspectors are hourly, and while they want you to hit 40 hours a week, you only had to maintain 32 to keep your benefits. We were averaging about 36, and he was adding time to our sheets, just a couple hours a week, so he could stay on salary.

Probably didn't help my case when told by the Production Manager, after I was late by about 10 minutes one day, that he was requiring me to show up 15 minutes early to job sites from then on. I asked if I was going to be paid for that 15 minutes, and he told me no, and I told him, and I quote, "then you can't require shit, can you, John? Are we finished here?"

There are lots of jobs out there, and I refuse to let companies and bosses jerk me around. I know what my rights are, I know what they can and can't do, and I have no issue pointing out where there are discrepancies.
    When the going gets tough, the tough hide under the table...

Deleted
    Twice back in the day for gross misconduct.

First ever job I got was at halfords and it was me and some lads from school. All we did was fuck about. Some guy wanted to buy a radio so he put it on the counter (it was late store was dead). So I go 'i'll be right with you'. Anyway me and my pals were in the middle of our cricket match in one of the aisles. So I went back to finish it off (we were playing with various implements around the shop). The guy just picked up the radio and walked out. All on CCTV of us mucking about. Fired. To be fair I should have been fired for loads of things there, I used to do fittings of like windscreen wipers and radios charge the person outside in cash if I could and pocket it. My manager got fired because there was an item that we were meant to be selling and the incentive was bonus money for our christmas party. So we just got the tag and scanned it through like 4000 times. The budget was like £100,000...questions were asked. Used to be well dodgy letting people steal shit from there back in the day if they slipped us cash.

Second firing was again gross misconduct, worked on the docks at dover as a baggage monkey. Minimum wage...minimum effort. We used to lob bags on ships. There was some cruise ship and I just lobbed the bag, anyway it missed and went in the sea. The guys got a ladder and I had to go between the boat and the side and get it (if the boat had moved id of been crushed to death). Got the bag, lobbed it on the boat. Anyway boss found out and fired me. Imagine that you paid £2000 a person for some cruise and you find a fish in your luggage.

Good craic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Where I currently work there is a staff dismissals sheet that shows who has been fired from the firm all over the country. You'd be surprised to see how many managers and supervisors are on the list and the years they've done at the company (so you wouldn't in a million years expect them to do it), I think 36 years was the highest I saw.

Since MMO Champion offers a huge variation of experiences, I was wondering, have you ever been fired? If so, what for?

is that even legal in the UK to do that?
    dragonmaw - EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    is that even legal in the UK to do that?
    No. I believe it breaks employment law and data protection.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

10+ Year Old Account
    ive never actually been fired from a job, ive quit a job once that i would probably have been fired from in a few months, so i left before things got worse, on pretty bad terms.

---------- Post added 2013-05-29 at 11:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Well I technically quit before they got the chance... does that count?

don't think that counts as getting fired :P i did the same thing on my first job as a dish washer

---------- Post added 2013-05-29 at 11:39 PM ----------

really depends on circumstances, if you're an adult, got bills to pay, kids to feed or w/e, then its pretty stupid to quit a job without a new one lined up. i quit mine while i was in college, so wasn't required to work anyway.
    dragonmaw - EU

Yeah, I was moved into the cash office of a busy retail store, during banking one day with the store manager a banking bag bursts, we replace it, in the process I didn't recount the money coming out of the ripped bag & going into the fresh one, when it was checked at the bank it was short. I however had signed saying it was all present & correct, thus I was fired because I screwed up. Manager who was doing the banking was told immediately and HE personally checked the cash office (to verify the cash we had on premises was correct), when it tallied HE didn't check the confidential waste where we'd put the ripped bag. 4 weeks later we were both suspended pending investigation where all the evidence came out of his numerous screw ups (inclusive of allowing me to continue for 4 weeks unsupervised within the cash office, I'd also been checked on a daily basis during staff searches) - he unsurprisingly never returned to work, although dunno if he was fired or quit, either way it goes, his involvement stinks!

I don't have any quarrels over being fired, I screwed up, money went missing as a result of my carelessness thus I have no argument, I also wasn't given leave to appeal said decision either but that's life - it's not easy to explain, especially to potential employers, but I've had a job since and well, it's something I learned from.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

10+ Year Old Account
    the current job i have i think its near impossible to get fired it seems, everytime anyone does anything wrong, ive seen thefts, assaults and all sorts, they have a meeting with some managers, usually get a week off work, then when they come back they are watched closely for a few weeks then its back to normal. seen it happen to this one guy 3 times now for theft, not sure how many warnings they get :\
    i think you would actually have to kill someone here to get fired.
    dragonmaw - EU

It's not advised to do so, but there are situations where you have to judge it and personally I've now quit 2 jobs without another to go by for the benefit of my own health & wellbeing, continuing in either of those two jobs wouldn't have been good for me which is my ultimate & primary concern, no use paying bills if you're not here to have them!
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

I've never been "fired"... I have been laid off, however, due to cutbacks and downsizing.

the term "Fired" to me is when you're specifically targeted for poor performance and are let go after multiple write-ups. That has never happened to me.

Nope. Started at my job when I was 16, been here for the last 7 years. I've ALMOST been fired due to a misunderstanding though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. I was let go (idk if that would be the right way to put it in the case, the job just ended) from my first job as a draftsman because the consultant who hired me only really needed me for making design drawings for one design project. The draftsman the consultant had been using for quite a while apparently broke down and become an alcoholic (I really wish I knew the story behind that, apparently in just the span of a week the draftsman went from being a good, honest, competent employee to coming into work drunk every day) after the consultant accepted the project. The consultant was up front about that from the start so it wasn't unexpected or due to anything I did or did not do. In truth, I only took the job because it was a short term job that I could complete that would enable me to say I had actually had a job in my life.

Haven't been fired from any of the others either.

Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    the current job i have i think its near impossible to get fired it seems, everytime anyone does anything wrong, ive seen thefts, assaults and all sorts, they have a meeting with some managers, usually get a week off work, then when they come back they are watched closely for a few weeks then its back to normal. seen it happen to this one guy 3 times now for theft, not sure how many warnings they get :\
    i think you would actually have to kill someone here to get fired.
    Who do you work for that has policies like that lol? If you don't want to say just ignore me, but that kind of policy toward employees is just crazy so I have to ask.
    Last edited by DEATHETERNAL; 2013-05-29 at 11:04 PM.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8