Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by shanthi View Post
    Paul Krugman also wrote an article in the wake of these bids from California:
    A lefty defending barrycare....backed up by another lefty defending barrycare.

We'll see how everything looks in a few years. If my insurance costs go down, great...but i'm certainly not holding my breath.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maleficus View Post
    A lefty defending barrycare....backed up by another lefty defending barrycare.
    It is a shame that Barrycare is working out so well in the real world against the fear-mongering predictions from righties. I can see how that would sting.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

It is a shame that Barrycare is working out so well in the real world against the fear-mongering predictions from righties. I can see how that would sting.
    Not sure what you're talking about. In fact, i'm quite certain that one of the primary contributors to barry care recently referred to it's implementation as a train wreck..i think that guy was one of those fear mongering lefties. You can check on that if you want. Anyway, i believe i stated that i would be happy for my insurance costs to go down, but i am not holding my breath. I can see where you picked up that "sting" from.

Wait.
    No. I don't.

Let's wait until it's fully implemented and is rolling for a year or two and then issue the report card.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Oh look, a Democratic policy works and people are cheering it on.

Republican policy works and people ignore it or try to poke little holes in it.
    Told you their would be righties poking holes in a working policy instituted by a democratic government Took even less then 5 pages

There's another shocking option. Talk to your doctor, your dentist, etc. and ask what they charge you for a visit if you paid cash in full right there. You'd be surprised how affordable it can be.

Is there any difference between an individuals taxes taken from their paycheck before/after this was implemented? If so, factor that into the monthly cost of health insurance.
    Their average price of $270 something is about $100 more a month than I pay now and if the deductible is high, as a healthy individual that rarely goes to the doctor, I'd feel like I'm pretty much bleeding money I'll never see.

Of course, that's what insurance is for me to begin with. Bleeding money I'll never get back.
    If I had set $3,000 a year into a savings account for the past 17 years, I'd have a lot of money just sitting there since I've not had a car accident for that whole time.
    If I had set back my insurance costs per month into a savings account, I'd have a good bit also piled up by now, and I could pay cash at the doctor, which is generally a cheaper bill than them having to fight the insurance negotiation. And, even if miniscule, I'd be able to earn interest on those.

Insurance is a gamble. Not really a fan of increasing the money I'd lose on the monthly premium, plus increased taxes to support the program.

I think our current view of universal healthcare is basically just a bandaid, not a solution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyway, i believe i stated that i would be happy for my insurance costs to go down, but i am not holding my breath. I can see where you picked up that "sting" from.
    Deriding it ("oh look, a lefty defending barrycare") pretty clearly suggests where you're politically invested on this. Thus the sting. Hope that's clearer.

I agree, though, that you'll appreciate the cost-savings. So we all win! ;)

10+ Year Old Account
    It's definitely too early to tell whether or not this program will have a net positive impact on healthcare costs, but this is certainly good news.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    I think our current view of universal healthcare is basically just a bandaid, not a solution.
    Indeed, its still viewed from a business perspective, as a way to make a few people rich and make the rest of you a little poorer.
    Healthcare should be implemented as a service the government provides, like the police or fire department. Can you imagine what would happen if those where to be privatized?

His pay scale wouldn't be the same as yours. It's income based.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnaby View Post
    His pay scale wouldn't be the same as yours. It's income based.
    As it should be

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    It's definitely too early to tell whether or not this program will have a net positive impact on healthcare costs, but this is certainly good news.
    I certainly agree with this. This news doesn't conclusively prove that the policy will be successful. It's just that the early returns (the inflation of health care costs has slowed over the past few years, these premiums came in reasonably low) are good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure what you're talking about. In fact, i'm quite certain that one of the primary contributors to barry care recently referred to it's implementation as a train wreck..i think that guy was one of those fear mongering lefties. You can check on that if you want. Anyway, i believe i stated that i would be happy for my insurance costs to go down, but i am not holding my breath. I can see where you picked up that "sting" from.

Wait.
    No. I don't.

Let's wait until it's fully implemented and is rolling for a year or two and then issue the report card.
    There was another article on Forbes with the train wreck quote but it was discussing the implementation not the program itself. It's analogous to a florecent light bulb - costs more up front but still worth it in the long run if done properly. That said not every state is set up as well as California is right now.

---------- Post added 2013-05-30 at 10:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    There's another shocking option. Talk to your doctor, your dentist, etc. and ask what they charge you for a visit if you paid cash in full right there. You'd be surprised how affordable it can be.

Is there any difference between an individuals taxes taken from their paycheck before/after this was implemented? If so, factor that into the monthly cost of health insurance.
    Their average price of $270 something is about $100 more a month than I pay now and if the deductible is high, as a healthy individual that rarely goes to the doctor, I'd feel like I'm pretty much bleeding money I'll never see.

Of course, that's what insurance is for me to begin with. Bleeding money I'll never get back.
    If I had set $3,000 a year into a savings account for the past 17 years, I'd have a lot of money just sitting there since I've not had a car accident for that whole time.
    If I had set back my insurance costs per month into a savings account, I'd have a good bit also piled up by now, and I could pay cash at the doctor, which is generally a cheaper bill than them having to fight the insurance negotiation. And, even if miniscule, I'd be able to earn interest on those.

Insurance is a gamble. Not really a fan of increasing the money I'd lose on the monthly premium, plus increased taxes to support the program.

The problems with pay as you go are well documented and put you at huge risk if you fall ill.

Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    There was another article on Forbes with the train wreck quote but it was discussing the implementation not the program itself. It's analogous to a florecent light bulb - costs more up front but still worth it in the long run if done properly.
    Holy shit balls...did you really reference the absolute wretched fluorescent light bulb as something positive? Fail.

Anyway, there is yet another article on Forbes...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapoth...ums-by-64-146/

---------- Post added 2013-05-31 at 01:35 PM ----------

Deriding it ("oh look, a lefty defending barrycare") pretty clearly suggests where you're politically invested on this. Thus the sting. Hope that's clearer.

I agree, though, that you'll appreciate the cost-savings. So we all win!
    Money in my pocket = ALWAYS greater than ideology. However, i actually earn my money, so a lot of the left won't understand.

That being said, and specifically referencing your "We all win!", maybe you should check...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapoth...ums-by-64-146/

Assuming every state does implementation as awesomely as cali, i'll really be looking forward to my rate hike...

Does it sting?

i just read the forbes article, not an opinion fluff peice that started this thread.. hell, that guy who wrote the article even states he writes to the left but you liberals take a opinion piece as fact.. oh dear, no wonder we are in the mess that we are in.. and europe is doing soo well.. HAHAHAHA..

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...94U0DJ20130531
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/b...kets-live.html
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...lation-markets

I love it, some thorough analysis shows the OP is wrong, and that they did an apples to oranges comparison to make their claims of lower premiums. Result? All the people who were cheering on the first page have scattered like a fart in the wind on the third page.