Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Are you scared of death?

a couple of days ago I realised my own mortality and I haven't been able to think about anything since. The concept of dying is terrifying to me.

Are you guys scared of death?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, i am so scared of it that i alter my life to reduce the chances of death <3

The pain of departure doesn't scare me. But the dark, nihilistic, void that awaits beyond life does.

I'm not ready to die, I'm just prepared for it. I imagine it being like it was before birth nothing. So i really won't feel anything or be anywhere. And also if reincarnation is correct i wanna be a squirrel. Because yolo.

I am more scared of people I know dieing then I am of actually dieing. I mean if I die I am gone not like I can worry about it then. If a friend dies I have to live with never been able to see them again. Maybe I will change this opinion just before I die, but as of right now I am way more scared of the people I care about dieing

10+ Year Old Account
    not scared of death itself, but more as to what expect after it.

is there a heaven? walhalla? any sort of after-life? or an eternal dreamstate? what if there's nothing..just emptiness. your just..gone..sease to exist and your enitre concious just ends and your selfwareness isnt carried over to anything or any form.

but what if your a ghost? are you jealous of the living? or see everything in a better perspective?

think it would be best described as fear of the unknown for me.

and sharks..i hate sharks...

Dying painfully, yeah. Anyway, we probably get reborn, or something crazy like that. I think you get whatever afterlife you believe in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    I think I would save michal jordan's life. That guy was just such a great singer
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't pay for food for anyone I'm not sleeping with and you shouldn't either.

I am more afraid of the process of dying. I really can't see how anyone can be afraid of death itself. We know that it will happen, and when you die that is basicly it. It is not like you can regret dying or feel bad after death... you are dead you know.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I took great comfort in something that somebody once said to me on this very question: "Well, it didn't bother you in the 5 billion years before you were born...."
    Richard Dawkins has also often done something like this. When he is asked "So what happens to a person when he dies?" He often replies "How did you feel in 1863?". They often reply "I was not born yet, so nothing?", to which he answers "Well try to remember that feeling, cuz that is how you will feel after death. Nothing.".

I'm not afraid of dying if there is no suffering or a lack of pain. I don't want to die, and I'd imagine my views would change if I had a disease that would kill me or potentially could. I would never let the thought of someday dying bother me because everybody dies. Besides, I imagine being dead is kind of like when you dream and you wake up and you can't remember a thing. Just nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    The pain of departure doesn't scare me. But the dark, nihilistic, void that awaits beyond life does.
    But that doesn't make any sense... There's no 'you' to realize this dark, nihilist void. Actually, the dark, nihilistic void does not exist because... Well; ironically, there's nobody there to observe it.

So for me... It's definitely the part of pain of departure and the knowledge that it'll be over soon. But I don't worry too much because, you know; it's going to happen anyway. No sense crying over spilled milk and all that.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    A lot of people ask me, am I afraid of death? Hell yeah I'm afraid of death. I don't want to die yet. A lot of people think, that I worship the devil. That I do all types of retarded shit. Look, I can't change the way I think, and I can't change the way I am, but if I offended you? Good. Cause I still don't give a fuck.

Deleted
    I am scared of death but I am scared of dying to early, there is still alot of things I want to do before I die.

Deleted
    Yes I am afraid of being death. Religion with an after life would be the way out according to people, however I reckon it's a fairy tale from the ancient times... as much as I hope it to be actually real I can't believe it is.

I'm more scared of living being blinded or paralyzed or losing an arm or something than I am of death.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I took great comfort in something that somebody once said to me on this very question: "Well, it didn't bother you in the 5 billion years before you were born...."
    indeed, and yet it is both comforting and strangly terrifying at the same time.

im not scared of death itself - but how I die
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Uh... anyway. No, I'm not afraid of death.

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    im not scared of death itself - but how I die
    Same. I'm scared of how it occurs, not when it happens.

The only thing I'm scared of regarding that is not being with the ones I love anymore. What awaits after, not so much, I'm more intrigued by it.

I've been shaking for days and been feeling sick thinking about ceasing to exist. Any tips on how I can get my mind off it?