Thread: Meth = US drug?

Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Meth = US drug?

http://news.yahoo.com/growing-crysta...085312029.html

This story has kinda pissed me off. Since when was meth a US only drug? Granted I haven't checked the history too much but according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methamphetamine Meth was first made a japan Chemist

Shortly after the first synthesis of amphetamine in 1887,[98] methamphetamine was synthesized from ephedrine in 1893 by Japanese chemistNagai Nagayoshi.[99]
    So why now is it labeled as a US drug?

Easy, people in the US use the most meth.

It's most commonly found in the US.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    What exactly offended you? The article is talking about growing meth usage in Afghanistan. Where does it say Meth is a US drug? All it says is the there is a big problem with meth in the US.

Nowhere in the article it is even implied that meth is a US drug.

Deleted
    Well I don't know a European street name for it, so I guess it isn't that well known here. And I live in the city with the biggest drugsmuggling harbor in Europe

Okay, I can't even find the part where it says it's a US only drug, nevermind even hinted at.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    According to a a highly reliable meth documentary (Breaking Bad, season 5), 5% of the population of Czech Republic are meth addicts! So there you go - it's a Czech, not US, drug!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    Easy, people in the US use the most meth.
    Go numbers to back that up?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue The Shaman View Post
    It's most commonly found in the US.
    Got numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    What exactly offended you? The article is talking about growing meth usage in Afghanistan. Where does it say Meth is a US drug? All it says is the there is a big problem with meth in the US.

Nowhere in the article it is even implied that meth is a US drug.
    Yeah first link I clicked on had the article labeled "US drug sweeps afgan youth"

I can probably blame that one on yahoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
    According to a a highly reliable meth documentary (Breaking Bad, season 5), 5% of the population of Czech Republic are meth addicts! So there you go - it's a Czech, not US, drug!
    5% is way too much, this drug simply kills the body

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Well I don't know a European street name for it, so I guess it isn't that well known here. And I live in the city with the biggest drugsmuggling harbor in Europe
    You might know it as speed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    You might know it as speed.
    Speed = amphetamine in Europe at least in the north, it include meth as well but never heard of if being used or read about it.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Speed = amphetamine in Europe at least in the north, it include meth as well but never heard of if being used or read about it.
    So close, I'm not really familiar with all the names :/

Baar, where does it say it's an US drug btw? Read the article, but it doesn't say it anywhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post

Got numbers?

Yeah first link I clicked on had the article labeled "US drug sweeps afgan youth"

I can probably blame that one on yahoo.
    A few years old...

"The UN estimates there are 35 million users of methamphetamine worldwide compared to just 11.5 million of heroin(5). More than a third are from the US – despite intense action by the government and drug control agencies."

5. World Drug Report 2007; United Nations (UN) Office on Drug Crime; 18 Jul 2007.

It's never really taken off in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
    Anything Meth comes up I wonder how long until someone makes a Breaking Bad reference.

I live in a small town in Canada and there have been a few local bust that where mainly Meth.

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    I thought that was Rotterdam?
    I think it's similiar to Amphetamine.

Anyways. meth isn't something we have a problem with here.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    http://www.google.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    "The UN estimates there are 35 million users of methamphetamine worldwide compared to just 11.5 million of heroin(5). More than a third are from the US – despite intense action by the government and drug control agencies."
    This fellow did it for you too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Dont we have some crack cocaine junkies instead?
    That, and heroin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Has noone watched Dog the Bounty Hunter? Come on man, every single person caught on that is doing Meth. Every. Single. One.

Another drug that's "mainly" American in use is PCP or Angel Dust. Criminal gangs hijacking the lorries for the few chemicals needed was what prompted extra protection on certain chemicals. We don't use that much over here, but then we use other ones moreso than Americans. I never got word of Mephedrone being used too much in the states? Or Ketamine? Was under the impression those were mainly European but then I guess Kentucky would have a good Ket access.

Edit: Did you read your wikipedia link btw? They don't just put random countries at the bottom when it comes to law about said drug in those places. They put the ones with the worse addiction rates because the rest is too small to bother about. Only North Korea and the USA are on there.
    Last edited by MerinPally; 2013-05-30 at 03:12 PM.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    I see a lot of unjustified butclenching in this thread

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    A few years old...

5. World Drug Report 2007; United Nations (UN) Office on Drug Crime; 18 Jul 2007.

It's never really taken off in the UK.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...-use-map-world

This would say you are wrong? Can you link your source please.

Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    http://www.google.com/

This fellow did it for you too.
    Did what for me? I'm not the one making a claim I'm not the one that needs to provide proof of said claim.