Poll: Do you use an ereader?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[Books] How many uses ereaders?

So as the title says, how many have started using ereaders instead of paper? If so, what's your experience with it? And if not, why not?

I use my ipad as an e-reader.

Can never go back to regular print.

This year alone I have read almost 25 books on it.

And not to mention there are ways to get 1000s of books for free on an ereader.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like it for travel, especially when there isn't a lot of light. But I prefer paper. So my E-Reader has mostly light reading on it.

And I use it for magazines.
    Putin khuliyo

I have a Kindle and I also pick up books in physical form. It really depends on what I feel like doing.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Kindle; never thought I wanted one until I saw a friend with one, then HAD to have one, heh. There really is no drawback, except the minor one of not being able to loan someone a book you just read...
    22 miles of hard road
    33 years of tough luck
    44 skulls buried in the ground
    Crawling down through the muck
    Ah yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by leafs43 View Post
    I use my ipad as an e-reader.

Can never go back to regular print.

This year alone I have read almost 25 books on it.

And not to mention there are ways to get 1000s of books for free on an ereader.
    25 books in five months? Impressive.

I must admid, I never read. But if I had a e-reader, and I had to choose between paper book and a e-reader Id proboaly consider the e-reader, aslong as the screen showed a good quality and the scrolling/page layout wasen't clunky.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

I read on my tablet all the time. Its easy when you're on the go to just start reading and you can easily bookmark and pick back up later. I will say that it takes a bit of getting used to, or at least it did for me. I still prefer to read an actual book, but with things the way they are ebooks just end up being far easier to read and manage.

Bought the Kindle app on my Lumia 920 and have been surprised by how much I like it. Never thought I would.

Nothing beats the tactile sensation of reading a real book, but nothing beats the convenience of an e-reader. It's also a good way to hide some of the stuff I don't particularly want to advertise to everyone who comes to my house that I'm reading. I still rock an epic book shelf, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

I have a kindle. As far as actually reading stuff on it goes, I like it. It's a really great way to try samples of books, too. However, it's kind of expensive and I don't buy a hell of a lot of books on it. Most books I've read aren't worth the 10 dollar price tag associated with them.

On the contrary, buying books in physical form is significantly cheaper if you know where to get them. Other than the fact they take up space, I do largely prefer physical copies, much like I prefer to have physical copies of music, games, movies, etc if it's a viable option.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Hell no. Books should be read in book form on not on some plastic little screen. I don't even like reading books on my computer. I want paper.

I've got a Kindle, and like it quite a lot. I don't tend to buy new, big-name-publisher books for it, but Amazon's always got 3 books available at great discounts on a daily basis (Fiction, Young Adult, ... somethin' else lol) so I was able to get both a Stephen King and Dean Koontz book for one dollar each on the same day.

There are also absolutely thousands of cheap, independently published ebooks available, which occasionally go "on sale" for free (perhaps because another book in the series came out, so the free first book helps get people interested in what follows), and I assume these kinds are available on pretty much any ereader. I won't say they're all fantastic quality, but for free, my standards aren't super high. Plus, lots and lots and LOTS of classics are available for free.

I bring mine with me on camping trips, or if I expect to be waiting a while while I'm out.

I can't say I'm a fan of the limit of downloads for a purchased book - it doesn't make sense to me. Sure, they don't want it just shared with the entire world for the price of a single copy, but ebooks don't seem like the sort of thing that would have issues with "pirating." For whatever reason, there feels like less price bloat for books, than games/music/movies/tv shows. ... except perhaps school text books in higher education.

EDIT: I'll add that I've got a nice collection of books and was raised having them around me. I like visiting used bookstores. I have a hard time being willing to pay full price for a brand new, big name publisher priced book unless it's as a gift for someone else, unless I'm planning to treat myself to a hardcover edition (which very few books warrant). A good price on a book I'm interested in gets my money, whether it's at a used bookstore, or through an ereader sale. I wouldn't say one replaces the other, but they compliment one another. There won't always be places to recharge my kindle, and I won't always have room for a full, physical book.
    Last edited by Chirri; 2013-05-31 at 03:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use my iphone kindle app which I say technically counts. I would rather have physical pages of a book, but I do enjoy it and it helps a lot when reading in the dark as I don't need to worry about lighting and such.

Deleted
    Nope and I never plan on getting on. I enjoy physically holding a book and turning the pages. Also like having a massive book collection!

I use my phone and have Kindle on that.

If it is a series I really enjoy I'll probably get a hardcover copy as well so it looks nice on the bookshelf.

At first i HATED e-readers with a passion out of nowhere. There were no real arguments involved but it felt "wrong".
    Then i made up my mind to come out of my little box and actually informed myself about the subject.

First in theory, later in real practise.

Both got some pros and cons, like it is with everything. And in the end i will always be using both, mostly depending on matter of mementary taste.

One big pro of a e-reader is, that you can actually search for something. searching a real book, when you have no realy clue anymore where it could be is a pain in the buttock.
    Reading on the I-phone or I-Pad is nothing for me, as a seoftware engeneer i sit in front of a computer all day, so the normal screen turns me off for reading.
    However those real e-book-readers that work with electrinic ink are a cool. I like those. Additionally i like the fact that they only use currency (electrical) when you turn a page. The displaying of a page goes without any consupmtion. I do not only like the fact that my battery makes it longer, but the fact that it actually doesnt waste power. I mean if you can display somethign with electrical usage and also without, i would consider the one who does it WITH a waster.

Yeah i know this isnt a Gamechanger and wont save the world, but eve tho it is just a very very small step, i like its direction.

I have not used one, so have not looked into getting one

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by looorg View Post
    Hell no. Books should be read in book form on not on some plastic little screen. I don't even like reading books on my computer. I want paper.
    This, a thousand times.
    No way I'll ever consider to buy one.

I can't stand reading books unless it is in book form. Can also have to do with me working with computers all day long and done it for many years.

I have a kindle (which died last week) so I'm waiting for a new kindle fire now to finish the book I was reading. I'm kinda torn about whether I prefer it over an actual book. The slimmer size + huge collection all in the one device makes it great for travel etc but I prefer the physical book if I'm reading at home.