Poll: Do you use an ereader?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    I exclusively use my ipad now. I love physical books, I used to live in a 3 bedroom house and I had a study which was full of thousands of books. Unfortunately now I live in a 1 bedroom apartment and I simply do not have the space. I still have them all in storage; and I thought I would miss them a lot. I read 2-3 books a week. Since I already have an ipad, I switched over to the kindle app on ipad and I thought I would hate it. It took a little while to get used to, but now I don't know as I'd go back to physical books even if I moved back into a larger house.

I love not having to go book shopping too, I didn't enjoy having to go out to the store or wait for a delivery on a new title. Now if I finish a book and I fancy something else, two clicks and I've got a new book downloaded and ready to read.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CynicalOtaku View Post
    I definitely get what you mean about wanting a break at staring at a screen...which is why I like the kindle. It doesn't feel like a screen. As far as packing for a trip, I can devour a "decent length" book during a two hour plane or train ride. My kindle takes up less space than even a single one of those books.
    It can't be a decent length book then, or you're not actually reading it and simply skimming. If you take some of the world's best in terms of speed, many read ~1000-2000 words a minute and score about 50%-60% on comprehension. If you take "A Game Of Thrones" (the shortest book in that series) there are 298,000 words. At a rate of 1000 words/minute, that's 298 minutes; 149 if you're reading at 2000/min. That's more than 2 hours if you're at World Champion reader level, and you still wouldn't really be 'absorbing' the information contained on the page.

I don't really find "fast" readers impressive, usually for the point mentioned above - you ask them about the book and they don't know because they didn't actually read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    It can't be a decent length book then, or you're not actually reading it and simply skimming. If you take some of the world's best in terms of speed, many read ~1000-2000 words a minute and score about 50%-60% on comprehension. If you take "A Game Of Thrones" (the shortest book in that series) there are 298,000 words. At a rate of 1000 words/minute, that's 298 minutes; 149 if you're reading at 2000/min. That's more than 2 hours if you're at World Champion reader level, and you still wouldn't really be 'absorbing' the information contained on the page.

I don't really find "fast" readers impressive, usually for the point mentioned above - you ask them about the book and they don't know because they didn't actually read it.
    GoT and most fantasy books in general are anomalies compared to every other genre. Novels are usually in the range of 80-120k, a lot of romance books are 50-75k (200-300 pages).
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    GoT and most fantasy books in general are anomalies compared to every other genre. Novels are usually in the range of 80-120k, a lot of romance books are 50-75k (200-300 pages).
    I guess it's just my idea of 'decent length' then haha :P I will admit, I tend to read a lot of 'fat' books. Most of the skinnier books I own are plays or short-story collections.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a Kindle Paperwhite, and love it to bits. The convenience and prices are just to good^^

However, nothing will beat sitting in the sun with the comfortable weight of a proper brick-book on your lap. And stocked bookshelf > one tiny e-reader, as far as decorations go :P So I still buy physical books, but my Kindle sees a lot of use.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    I have a Kindle Paperwhite, and love it to bits.
    Got one as well after I gifted my mother one and realized how much better that is than reading on my ipad.

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    I guess it's just my idea of 'decent length' then haha :P I will admit, I tend to read a lot of 'fat' books. Most of the skinnier books I own are plays or short-story collections.
    The Hobbit is a good example of a "decent length" novel. Watership Down is about the upper end of "decent length" for me...bigger than that is no longer what I consider "decent length". Even as paperback, those books are large...A kindle is much easier to handle in terms of holding, keeping position, and storing than a 1,000+ page paperback.

Word count isn't everything, either. The Ghormenghast novels are tiny compared to the Game of Thrones novels, but much harder to work through.
    Last edited by CynicalOtaku; 2013-06-01 at 10:35 AM.