Deleted

What SATA cable to choose

So I have the Z77 Pro 3 Motherboard, 1ssd and one spinpoint f3 1tb

I ran out of space so I bought one seagate barracuda 3tb hdd. When it arrive I noticed that I had no SATA cable and since I need to buy a new one I want to know which one is the best.

I know that some are used for differente speeds but I checked my mobo and I have 4x3gbs and 2x6gbs, but the 2x6gbs are already in use.
    I didnt gave it much tought when I built it so I connected both the ssd and the spinpoint f3 in the 2x6gb slot . I have realized now that my spinpoint only goes up to 3gbs speed so its not using the full capability of that slot.

My question is, should I swap the spinpoint and put it on one of the 4x3gbs and put the new 3tb hdd on the 2x6gbs slot? Im asking because im afraid that some installed game that I have on my main hdd (spinpoint) or whatever might stop working if I change it to the 4x3gbs.

Probably the best thing would be to make the 3tb hdd my main now.. If I made it my main would I see any increase on game performance or only when im copying something over to it? Because unless it makes some difference I would like to keep the 1tb spinpoint as my main since I have all the games there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cables don't actually make any difference on the bandwidth for SATA. Just go with whatever SATA cable is cheapest. SATA is also all forward and backwards compatible and an HDD doesn't even begin to utilize the bandwidth available for SATA II (3Gbps). Basically just connect it to whatever free port you have and use it.

One with a straight end to plug into the motherboard, and a 90° end to plug into the drive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Barring the old original non-locking cables, SATA cables are all the same as far as performance goes.

Bent connector cables are generally only needed if you're tight for space (e.g. a SFF case) or do something interesting with your cable management where it would be useful.

And as Saithes says, any mechanical drive will be perfectly happy on a 3Gbps port. They're simply not capable of using even that much bandwidth, much less twice as much. 6Gbps is only useful for SSDs.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

remember when the new "high speed" IDE cables came out??
    all much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MickoLis View Post
    remember when the new "high speed" IDE cables came out??
    all much the same.
    Not comparable. The 80 wire cables were required to cut down crosstalk. Without them, 66MB/s and faster wouldn't work reliably.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters