10+ Year Old Account

Would this be legal?

So I have a friend that works at a photo lab. I have a lot of cheapy paper posters from video games I've bought over the years. He is able to blow up the posters and mount them on a gator board to make them more durable and just overall look cooler. He can even turn game cards like yugi-oh into blown up posters too. Is it legal to do so? I have zero intention of selling them. I just think they'll look 10 times cooler then the folded up posters you get inside the game case. I feel like I'm asking a stupid question, but oh well lol.
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2013-05-30 at 10:40 PM.

I can't see why it wouldn't be, especially since you don't plan on selling them. Even if, for some strange, technical reason, it wasn't legal, you can rest assured that A) No one who could sue you would even find out about it and B) Even if they did, they would have literally nothing to gain from doing so. The worst you might face is a cease and desist letter...but that is BIG might.

Deleted
    what the other guy said.

Deleted
    Even if its illegal, who's going to stop you?
    You don't get arrested for downloading music, so whats the difference

10+ Year Old Account
    K. Just wanted to make sure. Sometimes companies can be anal when it comes to replicating their product and whatnot. And if it was illegal I didn't want my friend to risk getting caught and potentially lose his job.

So long as neither you nor your friend have no intention of selling them, no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. Just want to hang them up in my room like a good, law-abiding nerd.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not illegal if you don't intend to re-sell them at any point.

I dont think you would have any trouble, even if you sold one or two I could see you being ok.

Now if you start making selling lots of them as a for profit thing then copyright might bite you.

And this is why I enjoy working for a local printing company. I can make all
    the posters and stickers I want. Digital or plotter vinyl. =D But like the others
    have pointed out, OK as long as you don't profit from it.

It's not legal. It doesn't fall under the fair use doctrine. Technically all rights are reserved in copyrighted material, and that includes the right of reproduction.

That said......I doubt anyone is going to knock down your door.

Legal, no. OK, yes.

When did law and common law ever drift so far apart ?

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Even if its illegal, who's going to stop you?
    You don't get arrested for downloading music, so whats the difference
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-case-20120912

But yeah, in this case you should be alright since you're not going to sell them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thing is the posters still have their copyright and TM on it, so it's not like I'm claiming to own the franchises. But I guess it's still replicating their product.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's not illegal since it is for personal use. If you were selling them for profit as a business, that would be illegal.