Help me not be bored with/lose interest with GW2

Beautiful game.

Good content.

I just can't do this 5 buttons with zero customization stuff though.

Like, I get that you can swap weapons, and use different weapons, but... it's just like, idk, I like how many buttons WoW has.

And I just started playing Aion (for the first time) and I'm like, yes, this is what I was missing from my "when I'm not playing WoW" games... (lots of abilities, moveable action bars even though they don't allow addons)

But I miss GW2, I just slowly started to hate the combat.

Any thoughts?

Lack of customization for action bars really killed me, if there's a fix or hack for that, it'd go a long way.

tl;dr - if the lack of buttons to hit and abilities to use and variety in how many different things my character can do without swapping weapons is what's killing the game for me, is there any hope?

10+ Year Old Account
    Get all weapons for your class.
    Get all skills for your class.

Swap out both every now and then.

This is all I can think of at the moment.

Deleted
    only 5 buttons ?

Maybe it's just my engineer but here i have:

buttons 1-5 for normal attacks
    button 6 for heal
    buttons 7-9 for extra spells OR kit (bombs, flamethrowers etc.) that each give 5 new buttons to press
    button 0 for the big cd
    buttons F1-F5 for special attacks

So that's about 15 buttons to press on average. more if you include the dodge mecanism (double press a direction)
    I would stay it's almost the same as WoW, if not more: on my paladin tank, i have maybe 5 buttons for the every day rotation, and about 5-10 others for specials moments.
    Last edited by mmoc130c3465fa; 2013-05-30 at 11:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Elementalist

20 weapon abilities
    1 heal
    3 utility
    1 elite
    No weapon swapping

I played a demolock in Cata in WoW, learning to play elementalist was much more difficult.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Get the combat add on http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c...view/?sort=new might spice things up.

Deleted
    I've levelled both an elementalist and a mesmer to 80. The mesmer was more challenging but elementalist was far more enjoyable because of the constant attunement swapping. If you use the dagger-dagger setup you should/would constantly be switching attunements. If you don't then you'd be dealing like half of your possible damage anyway. Not only does it increase the dps, constantly dodging/using mobility skills makes it an extremely fun class to play with. I'd recommend at least trying it out to level 20 to get a feel for it with dagger-dagger. I mostly levelled with staff to around 60-ish though.

Deleted
    Play an elementalist, lots of buttons, very twitch and lots of fun

Here's an example:

10+ Year Old Account
    I played WoW during 3 expansions, and there wasn't so many buttons to press like you're suggesting. I'm currently leveling an engineer and, at least, I use 21 skills (excluding the auto-attack and the secondary weapon). I never used 21 different skills in the same WoW raid.

I guess you miss the polluted interface...

10+ Year Old Account
    getting one char to 80 was enough id still like to get another but its just too painfull to do

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel ya man. The game is great, the combat just leaves a little more to be desired. A lot of fans will try and fool you into believing you have a lot of choices and that is not really the case compared to a lot of other games out there. I also do not like the fact that you cannot rearrange combat abilities on the bar. I mean why does Arena Net tell me how I have to arrange my bar? How do they know my fingers work the same as theirs or the next guys?

I dont think Ive found a single class/weapon combo that I like all 5 abilities. I usually combine two weapons and get like 3/5 of abilities I like. I do dig the Necro with a staff but thats about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    I feel ya man. The game is great, the combat just leaves a little more to be desired. A lot of fans will try and fool you into believing you have a lot of choices and that is not really the case compared to a lot of other games out there. I also do not like the fact that you cannot rearrange combat abilities on the bar. I mean why does Arena Net tell me how I have to arrange my bar? How do they know my fingers work the same as theirs or the next guys?

I dont think Ive found a single class/weapon combo that I like all 5 abilities. I usually combine two weapons and get like 3/5 of abilities I like. I do dig the Necro with a staff but thats about it.
    On my WoW mage I had something like ~35 keybinds. Do you know how many buttons out of those I actually used while leveling? Just two - frostbolt and ice lance. Didn't need anything else. Other classes hardly differ, they have colossal numbers of abilities spread across tons of actionbars (plus talents/trinkets/etc), but it comes down to pushing a handful of buttons and maybe a macro in actual PvE combat.

GW2 evolves on the formula by giving you buttons that you'll actually want to push in combat, roll any prof and you'll wind up with 10-14 keybinds depending on prof. Add the dodge mechanic and the lack of needing to constantly tab-target (if you're melee) and you end up with a combat experience that's vastly more evolving and active than what WoW could ever offer.

Also you can re-arrange your utility skills. You can't re-arrange your weapon skills or mechanic bar, but the question is why are you wanting to? You can completely re-assign all the keybinds to everything. The ability icons are nice and big, the cooldown timers are extremely clear, there are only a small number of abilities you're keeping track of. It renders re-arranging icons more or less pointless, this isn't WoW where you would typically arrange your 20-30+ abilities in order of importance or cooldowns lol.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Also you can re-arrange your utility skills. You can't re-arrange your weapon skills or mechanic bar, but the question is why are you wanting to? You can completely re-assign all the keybinds to everything. The ability icons are nice and big, the cooldown timers are extremely clear, there are only a small number of abilities you're keeping track of. It renders re-arranging icons more or less pointless, this isn't WoW where you would typically arrange your 20-30+ abilities in order of importance or cooldowns lol.
    I've always put most important to least important from left to right. Rebinding the skills 12345 to keybinds 15324 is a solution for one class but not for all, so I'd have to keep rebinding whenever I play another toon, which is a hastle. Now if I could just swap the locations around the keybinds would remain intact for all toons.
    I'm not fussed about it but it's minor quality of life changes like this that actually are quite important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, character-specific keybinds are not supported?
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

AFAIK Nope.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Just take a break and try the game in a month or so, no point burning yourself out.
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

10+ Year Old Account
    Elementalist and Engineers can have a ton of skills on their bar at a time between switching between elements, kits, weapons, etc.

Two players of the same class can have two completely different play styles depending on the tools (weapons, skills, traits) they use.

I like that GW2s skills are consolidated, I used up my free trial for WoW recently and thought their skill system was a mess. I was even hoping for something like RIft where I could just throw a bunch of abilities into a macros.

Quote Originally Posted by Trendy-Ideology View Post
    tl;dr - if the lack of buttons to hit and abilities to use and variety in how many different things my character can do without swapping weapons is what's killing the game for me, is there any hope?
    Um. Play an engineer? I swap between kits all the time and feel like I've got a bazillion options. I run rifle + flame thrower + elixir gun + med kit and whatever X kit/elixir/gadget that I think would be useful for the situation. That's 20+ buttons right there....

You can build your engineer however you like. I love adjusting my skill set on the fly in response to changing conditions on the field, and yeah I find a way to use most of the skills in my kits. And just saying...skill bloat doesn't necessarily mean a rich gaming experience. I enjoy Rift and WoW, but let's face it you're mostly rolling around hitting the same 2-5 abilities most of the time.
    Last edited by catcommando; 2013-06-01 at 09:20 PM.
    Currently playing: GW, TORTANIC.
    Still visit: TSW, W*, GW2, Rift, LOTRO, ESO.
    Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

10+ Year Old Account
    You either play a boring amount of skills or roll ele/eng. Thief is just spamming 1-2 buttons no matter what weapon set you're on, pretty much the same with any other proff although I found this to be the most boring.

Afaik Rift doesn't let you make macro's anymore with more than 1 skill in it. So only used for @focus, etc. at least I couldn't make it work the other day. Btw going from GW2 to that you really see how horrible customization is in this game. I switch between 4 specs on my rogue on the fly constantly, and support actually WORKS.

IDK why people defend this shitty skill system.. oh that's right "play ele or eng"

10+ Year Old Account
    IDK why people defend this shitty skill system.. oh that's right "play ele or eng"
    Because good players don't "spam 2 buttons no matter what".

In many cases one can't actually "spam 2 buttons". The combat is designed to be more about position and movement than actual button pressing [EQ style].