Thread: Heating Up

Heating Up

I have read the guides and all they say is that you spam fireball till you get a Heating Up proc (HU).
    But what happens if you cast fireball and get a HU proc but you are already casting a 2nd fireball?
    Do you spam Inferno Blast's hotkey?
    Does the system register the Inferno Blast you casted or the 2nd fireball first?

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's based on spell impact times, not the time it leaves your hand. There's also a bit of slush in the timing for when you're close to your target. But yes, mashing inferno blast will give you a hot streak after the second fireball leaves your hands.

So being at 40 yards max range increases the chance of Inferno Blast registering first rather than the 2nd fireball which effectively confirms your hot streak proc?

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Technically, yes. Also if memory serves, heating up will actually stay on you for about 0.75 seconds after a non-crit spell, to allow for latency issues with hitting inferno blast. Being at 40 yards is massively overkill, it should still register even if you're right on the target's ass.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuni Zyrekai View Post
    Technically, yes. Also if memory serves, heating up will actually stay on you for about 0.75 seconds after a non-crit spell, to allow for latency issues with hitting inferno blast. Being at 40 yards is massively overkill, it should still register even if you're right on the target's ass.
    Patch notes from Oct 16 (Link)
    Combustion direct damage that does not crit now causes Heating Up to be removed after a short delay. Additionally, the delay on non-crits removing Heating Up has been increased from 0.25sec to 0.5sec.

ahh thanks guys for the quick replies !

Guys, why are you talking about 40 yards?

I was investigating the subject in the beginning of 5.1 (when i was playing fire). From what I've read BACK THEN (not sure where it was though) spell travel time is indeed 40 yards per second, but the impact effect always takes place no later than 0.5 second after the spell leaves your hands (even if the animation is still in the air).

So the max range would be 20 yards, or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Argussonn View Post

I was investigating the subject in the beginning of 5.1 (when i was playing fire). From what I've read BACK THEN (not sure where it was though) spell travel time is indeed 40 yards per second, but the impact effect always takes place no later than 0.5 second after the spell leaves your hands (even if the animation is still in the air).

You are just TOO good to be a mage

/edit LOL mistyped mage....

Quote Originally Posted by Argussonn View Post

ohh i talked about 40 yards because i thought you get the heating up proc when your fireball lands on the target...

so basically the mechanic is designed to work like this :
    cast fireball, gets heating up proc, > already in the midst of casting 2nd fireball > spam inferno blast hotkey to proc PYROBLAST!!!! ?

My guidelines for handling my fire casting:

- Fresh target, no HU, no Pyroblast!

1. Cast Fireball 1

2. Fireball 1 in route to target begin casting Fireball 2.

3. Fireball 1 hits, end of cast of Fireball 2.

4. If Fireball 1 crits (HU), cast Inferno Blast (HU -> Pyro), begin cast Fireball 3.
    4.1 If Fireball 1 does not crit, goto 1. increment fireball numbers.

5. Fireball 2 hits, end of cast of Fireball 3

6. If Fireball 2 crits (Pyro + HU), cast Pyroblast proc at end of cast Fireball 3, then cast Fireball 4.
    6.1 If Fireball 2 does not crit, Cast Fireball 4.

7. Fireball 3 hits, end of cast Fireball 4.

8. If Fireball 3 crits AND Pyroblast Crits (Pyro + HU -> Pyro + HU), cast Pyroblast proc at end of Cast Fireball 4, then cast Fireball 5.
    8.1 If Fireball OR Pyroblast crit but not both (Pyro + HU -> Pyro), then check conditions:

8.1a. If bomb timer <= 1 s, refresh bomb, cast inferno blast, cast Fireball 5. (Pyro + HU)
    8.1b. If invocation timer = 0, then refresh invocation, cast inferno blast, cast Fireball 5. (Pyro + HU)
    8.1c. If movement required, cast inferno blast, cast Fireball 5. (Pyro + HU)

Else, Cast Fireball 5.
    8.2 If Fireball AND Pyroblast do NOT crit (Pyro + HU -> nil), Go to 1 increment fireball number.

9. Fireball 4 hits, end of cast Fireball 5.

10. If Fireball 4 crits and conditions a. b. or c. met, Pyro cast and crit (Pyro + HU -> Pyro + HU), go to 8., increment fireball numbers.
    10.1 If Fireball 4 crits and condition a. b. or c. met, and no Pyro cast or crit (Pyro + HU -> Pyro), go to 8.1, increment fireball numbers.
    10.2 If Fireball 4 does not crit and conditions a. b. or c. met, but Pyro cast and crit (Pyro + HU -> Pyro), go to 8.1, increment fireball numbers.
    10.3 If Fireball 4 does not crit and conditions a. b. or c. met, and NO Pyro cast or crit (Pyro + HU -> Nil), go to 1.
    10.4 If Fireball 4 crits and conditions a. b. or c. not met (Pyro -> Pyro + HU), go to 8, increment fireball numbers.
    10.5 If Fireball 4 does not crit and conditions a. b. or c. not met (Pyro -> Pyro), go to 4. increment fireball numbers.

This is a really complex way of saying chain cast fireball, spend inferno blast to graduate HU to Pyro then only spend inferno blast to increment to Pyro + HU if you break your fireball chain to cast something else. If you use inferno blast while you are chain casting fireball and already have Pyro proc, then you will chance wasting the possible crit from last cast fireball as inferno blast will erase the HU. Only spend Pyro procs when in tandem with a fireball cast and having a HU unless you are in an AT/PoM macro.

What this does is keep your best chance for proccing pyro by constantly carrying a HU proc with 2 chances to proc a successive heating up proc to graduate the previous to Pyro, and a smaller chance to both regain Pyro and HU together. This will increase your overall Pyro! procs, keep your ignite high, and raise your dps.

*edited for clarity of event logic*
    Last edited by Malfecto; 2013-05-31 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKinTMC View Post
    ohh i talked about 40 yards because i thought you get the heating up proc when your fireball lands on the target...

so basically the mechanic is designed to work like this :
    cast fireball, gets heating up proc, > already in the midst of casting 2nd fireball > spam inferno blast hotkey to proc PYROBLAST!!!! ?
    Yep. Even Scorch has a minimum "flight" time of 0.25 seconds, allowing you to sneak your Inferno Blast in.

When you say "end cast of fireball..." would you use a Stopcasting macro for IB to do this?
    Last edited by Fyz; 2013-05-31 at 04:11 PM.

Sorry, that should say "End of Cast". Its just to try and keep the logic straight for the sequence of events. We all know that even at max distance, it doesn't take a fireball cast time for the previous fireball to arrive at its target, but it does, logically, end after the previous on hits. This is just to help illustrate the decision making process.

To be more clear, and to address what I think you are wondering about, I don't use stopcast except for my combustion to ensure lag or poor keyboarding don't make me spam a pyroblast cast when a juicy ignite is up. If I need to cast inferno blast, I've made that decision before I finish casting my current spell, be that dot refresh, invocation refresh, or fireball cast, so I don't need to interrupt anything to use it. I do try to tap it as my fireball cast gets to the end just to ensure I get the HU I need, and especially if the timer for Inferno blast is just coming off cooldown from spreading dots, and I know I can cheese that little delay and flight time to get the Pyro proc. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't.

I think a lot of fire mages play in a panicky way, constantly watching their ignite and fretting over crits. I just have better results concentrating on optimizing my HU/Pyro chains and letting Combustion take care of itself at the whims of the RNG Gods.
    Last edited by Malfecto; 2013-05-31 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malfecto View Post
    I don't use stopcast except for my combustion to ensure lag or poor keyboarding don't make me spam a pyroblast cast when a juicy ignite is up.
    Got it, thats how I've been doing it (for the 24 hours I've been fire). Frost has made me twitchy w/procs and I have to resist the urge to stopcast/cast IB >.<

Infernoblast is totally overrated. Always go for another heating up proc when you have instant pyro. This makes you get another pyro very often. At least in my rotation I do have IB very often off CD and don't use it.

Quote Originally Posted by reflection View Post
    Infernoblast is totally overrated. Always go for another heating up proc when you have instant pyro. This makes you get another pyro very often. At least in my rotation I do have IB very often off CD and don't use it.
    I've been using IB only when I have a HU but no HS.

off topic : glyphing frostfire bolt = putting a slow on your fireball yes?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JKinTMC View Post
    off topic : glyphing frostfire bolt = putting a slow on your fireball yes?
    used it when I was fire on pre-nerf tortos, its was usefull. Depends on the comp.