Windows license question on custom built company computers

Hello there.

Since I'm not well read on the subject of Windows licenses when it comes to the corporate side of things, I figured I'd ask here where I know there are some knowledgeable people.

I'm about to build a series of computers on my office, but I'm unsure what Windows license to include, and where to buy it from for the best price. As I understand it, OEM licenses is only for pre-installed software. Since I'm going to install it myself, it's out of the question? Does Microsoft offer some good deals when buying x amount of licenses as a company? I think they have something similar for Office at least, if I recall correctly we had some x/100 keys to get from the microsoft website.

I've tried googling, but the information is both sparse and scattered, making it hard to get the whole picture. The best would be some flowchart to follow, and wether or not you're buying a license for personal use or for a company, if it's prebuilt/you build yourself, preinstalled/you install yourself, and then just show a list of what licenses one should aim for. As it's now I'm just utterly confused.

TL;DR:
    I'll build the computers for my company, what type of Windows licenses should I get, and for the best price?

You could possibly get a volume license from Microsoft depending on how many you need. Long term that would be the best option as you only have 1 key and can add licenses to it/setup operating system deployment easier, licenses are tracked on MSVLC, etc... But, if you aren't looking for enough licenses to make that worthwhile, get x64 Pro OEM(Pro because I'm assuming domain). OEM is tied to the motherboard, so unless you plan on replacing the motherboards you shouldn't have any issues. Even then you can usually just call in and they'll let you do it.
    Last edited by The Cat; 2013-05-31 at 02:29 PM.

Installing an OEM license myself is allowed? I thought OEM was the model for pre-installed software, though I admit I don't know as much about the subject as I'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by Raphtheone View Post
    Installing an OEM license myself is allowed? I thought OEM was the model for pre-installed software, though I admit I don't know as much about the subject as I'd like.
    Basically OEM just means that it doesn't come with the box so it's cheaper.

OEM is the type of licenses Dell and HP, etc use... but that isn't what they are. OEM licenses simply tie the license to the motherboard so it is technically only usable with one computer, though there are ways around that. Non OEM licenses allow up to 3(?) installs on different computer, but not simultaneously obviously.

That being said because these are custom computers with no windows lisence, getting non OEM might actually be something to look into. If down the road you plan on building all custom computers again to replace these, you can easily use the same lisences, where as with OEM you'd typically need to buy more.

Then there's Home Premium vs Pro.... not sure what you need but I'd assume pro, as home premium cannot join a domain.
    Last edited by The Cat; 2013-05-31 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yobtar View Post
    Basically OEM just means that it doesn't come with the box so it's cheaper.
    No, OEM licensing has nothing to do with the box (or lack of) that software comes in.

Raphtheone, what you need to do is look into Microsoft Volume Licensing.

Here are some links:

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/
    http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/a...ing-works.aspx

Also, this might prove very useful:
    http://mla.microsoft.com/default.aspx
    Last edited by George; 2013-05-31 at 02:47 PM.

I would just stick with OEM. The funny thing about volume licensing for desktop OS is it actually requires a base license to already exist, there is no full license of desktop OS from Microsoft through the volume license program. In your case this would just be an extra expense that wouldn't be needed unless you had use of a single key or needed downgrade rights.

Quote Originally Posted by laggy View Post
    I would just stick with OEM. The funny thing about volume licensing for desktop OS is it actually requires a base license to already exist, there is no full license of desktop OS from Microsoft through the volume license program. In your case this would just be an extra expense that wouldn't be needed unless you had use of a single key or needed downgrade rights.
    That's not true at all, in fact I don't believe they have anything but full OS. You can't have a volume upgrade key that I am aware of. Although I've never looked into it.
    Last edited by The Cat; 2013-05-31 at 02:54 PM.

Its completely true, we deal with this all the time. New account so I can't post links however if you reference the volume licensing reference guide or licensing 101 PDF's they will have the info for you. All desktop OS volume license keys are considered an upgrade of some underlying license that must be attained via OEM or FPP. Its insane but its how it is.

"In Volume Licensing, the desktop PC operating system license is an “upgrade license.” You can only acquire upgrade
    licenses for devices for which you have already licensed a “qualifying operating system,” either preinstalled on a PC
    through a PC manufacturer or as full-package product (FPP) from retail. The Product List shows the “qualifying
    operating systems” that qualify for an upgrade license and is available at the Volume Licensing website at..."

Basically OEM means that (you) the purchaser is responsible for the support.
    While the purchase of a retail version grants a certain amount of support from Microsoft, that is not available on an OEM version since that would officially be from the vendor from whom you bought the machine.

A yes, I apologize, I was thinking you meant an actual enforced upgrade that won't let you install. What you say is true but it's not really something I've considered in a long time, and apparently forgot about, given I have enough old licenses with Windows 95 to Windows 8 that if someone from Microsoft ever did a physical audit it wouldn't matter(Which I've never actually seen happen, other than software audits).

But, yes, that is a good point for a company that doesn't have that kind of old licenses.
    Last edited by The Cat; 2013-05-31 at 03:18 PM.

Ahh that would make sense Like you said, its something that has been forgotten because people in the volume program had an underlying license 15 years ago when they entered so they haven't had to deal with it since. Its a annoying barrier to new companies though if you ask me however that's a topic for another day. We went through an audit last year due to transferring our agreements to a new company name however they didn't require any documentation of the underlying license.

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/a.../windows7.aspx

Should help answer your questions about licensing.

Thank you all for the help, Yobtar for dumbing it down for me, and lots of thanks for the links provided George and Colwraith. OEM license it is. Now I just need to figure out if the 8.1 is the patch that kills all that is bad with Win8, or if I have to stick with Win7 (which I don't mind, by the way).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphtheone View Post
    Now I just need to figure out if the 8.1 is the patch that kills all that is bad with Win8,
    Technically, yes, or you can just get Win8 and download a 1.5mb program to do it for you. There's plenty of start menu programs out there.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab