Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    In Leeds; Dry Dock and Nation of Shopkeepers are great places to go / eat / chill. Royal Armouries is also pretty awesome.

Deleted
    For Manchester, wait till september and go warehouse project

Hit up a soccer game and wear the visiting team colors. That would be fun and interesting.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you like shopping check out the Trafford Center in manchester, great place.

10+ Year Old Account
    The English Premier League season starts on 17th August, Championship begins on 3rd August. Friendly matches will be unlikely.

Manchester

Trafford Centre / Arndale Centre (Largest Ardale (and shopping centre) in the UK, there is also one in Leeds): I personally prefer the Trafford Centre myself because of 'The Orient'.
    China Town has a couple of interesting shops and restaurants.
    Printworks / Triangle: lots of shops, cinemas etc.

Doesn't really matter about which city, but if you like books go into a Waterstones, preferably one of the big ones such as in Deansgate, Manchester or Piccadilly, London.

Museum of Science & Industry
    Manchester Museum
    Manchester Art Gallery

If you are planning to car hire do not go into the city centre and expect to get out at rush hour; the traffic is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Hit up a soccer game and wear the visiting team colors. That would be fun and interesting.
    Yes or going go to a Manchester United game with a Leeds/Liverpool shirt on or a Leeds/Liverpool game with a Manchester United shirt on would be a good idea
    Last edited by Lollis; 2013-06-01 at 08:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    Yes or going go to a Manchester United game with a Leeds/Liverpool shirt on or a Leeds/Liverpool game with a Manchester United shirt on would be a good idea
    Yes especially if you want to be buried there...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Still, even if you ignore the that, the hijab is a serious safety concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    So what? If I got to decide I'd take Stalin's path regarding religion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I live just south of Leeds and used to work in York.

I am guessing as your partner studied in Leeds (and you both like art) you will probably be visiting the Henry Moore Institute.

Also in Leeds try the City Art Gallery and the Royal Armouries - also head down to Granary Wharf and wave and me and my friend painting his narrowboat :P

Also on an art theme you should head to Wakefield, a small city nearby, and visit the Hepworth Gallery and the Yorkshire Sculpture Park.

If you get chance head over the Bradford and visit the National Media Museum.

Also try and abosrb the countryside when you are in the area, not too far away is Malham Cove, the Yorkshire Dales, North York Moors.

There are PLENTY of ruins around - check our Rievaulx Abbey, Temple Newsam, Saltaire, Nostell Priory, etc to name but a few.

Also, visit Whitby and have some proper fish and chips by the seaside

There is plenty more to see and do, if you have any specific tastes let me know and I'll post some more suggestions.

---------- Post added 2013-06-01 at 10:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vidpci View Post
    Call them all red coats and sing the battle of new orleans song.
    Young Yanks should be thankful we helped create your nation, the rest of the world are not :P

I challenge your knowledge of your nations history, sally forth with your rebuttal pleb.

Deleted
    Next year there will be several Yorkshire clubs in the Championship, so you have a very good chance of dropping on a local derby. Have a look for a game featuring any combination of the following: Leeds, Huddersfield, Doncaster, Barnsley and Sheffield Wednesday. Fixtures are out on June 18.

As for shit to do unfortunately you're just going to miss out on the Scarborough cricket festival, which runs from the 28th - 31st of August. I would suggest going to Scarborough anyway though and checking out the Peasholm battleships, and it'd be a nice taste of a British seaside town. Just up the coast is Whitby, the inspiration for Dracula and full of gothic shit like that, if you're into it.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks a lot for all the suggestions, everyone. Should definitely aid us in planning for our trip