Need advice to make some serious coin

Got 3 characters maxed with Herbalism, Mining, Engineeringx2, Alchemy and Jewelcrafting. Im currently farming like mad and selling stacks of Ghost Iron and Snow Lily on the AH. So far this has made me about 10k. Is there any way I can use these materials for something to make rather than selling stacks for a cheap amount on the AH?

Thanks in advance

Stack of Lily is usually roughly 25-30g and Ghost Iron ore is around 75g.
    Last edited by lolcatabeta; 2013-05-31 at 11:15 PM.
    My dad once told me that aslong as religion existed, even I could make my own fantasy buddys

So here is a quick and easy explanation on why farming is a waste of time:

A stack of Snow Lily is 30g. Let's say a stack of Green Tea is also 30g. With those two, you can make a stack of Virmen's Bite. You can either sell those 2 stacks and make 60 gold, OR you can take that stack of Lily and Tea and make a stack of Virmen's Bite.

On my server I'm selling Virmen's Bite for about 300g a stack. I'm making 240g more than you are off those mats. It's even more than that because I'm getting more than a stack of Virmen's Bite, because I'm a potion master.

I could farm for the mats and make all of the 300g myself, or I can buy your Lily and Tea, make some potions, and settle for 240g. You're spending what, 10 minutes (or more), to get that stack of Tea and Lily? I spent 30 seconds by buying your mats off the AH to yield 4 times the amount of gold you made.

This why farming will never be profitable for the time invested.
    Last edited by ablib; 2013-05-31 at 11:41 PM.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    15g a pot, there's definitely close-to-no competition on your server

anyway look for some spreadsheets on the web for milling/shuffling and see what's more profitable on your server (JC + transmute alchemy is pretty much a deadshot)

Quote Originally Posted by Destard View Post
    15g a pot, there's definitely close-to-no competition on your server

anyway look for some spreadsheets on the web for milling/shuffling and see what's more profitable on your server (JC + transmute alchemy is pretty much a deadshot)

That may be true, but it's not far off from the average mean price on the US realms:

https://theunderminejournal.com/item.php?item=76089

Actually, I have a fair bit of competition on my realm, for the demand. Unfortunately, my competition sells the potions in odd stacks or singles for about 10-12g per potion. I sell full stacks for 15-16 gold per potion and they always sell!

And transmute makes the least amount of the three specs. However, if you're serious (as I am), you have 3 alchemists so you can have access, and utilize all 3 specs.
    Last edited by ablib; 2013-05-31 at 11:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    So here is a quick and easy explanation on why farming is a waste of time:

A stack of Snow Lily is 30g. Let's say a stack of Green Tea is also 30g. With those two, you can make a stack of Virmen's Bite. You can either sell those 2 stacks and make 60 gold, OR you can take that stack of Lily and Tea and make a stack of Virmen's Bite.

On my server I'm selling Virmen's Bite for about 300g a stack. I'm making 240g more than you are off those mats. It's even more than that because I'm getting more than a stack of Virmen's Bite, because I'm a potion master.
    The problem with all of these threads is shown right here. The poster's made a perfectly understandable, but common error - you've used themats prices from one server and compared them to the potion prices on another.

I agree with your logic in that OP should look at the price of crafted things on his/her server, but they can't count on your prices.

The other issue with farming is to look at it as a gold/hour thing. If you really could sell Tea for the same price as the other herbs, do that. All day long. Because that crap is all OVER the place.

In general, OP, you need to look at what you can make from farmed mats and then see if it's worth doing that. It might be worth simply buying mats too depending. For example, if I could buy a stack of Tea and of Snow Lily for 60g for the two stacks and sell a stack of Virmen's Bite for 300g I'd simply buy the herbs. Sure, I'm making 240 vs 300, but I'm not spending any time on farming.

However, on my server the Bite is going for a bit under 190g for a stack The herbs combined are about half that, so in my case it would make sense to buy, make and sell the pots - I'd make ~90g/stack for a few minutes work
    Last edited by clevin; 2013-06-01 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    The problem with all of these threads is shown right here. The poster's made a perfectly understandable, but common error - you've used themats prices from one server and compared them to the potion prices on another.

I thought my post was clear that it was just a general example of how using the AH and your professions is better than farming. If you didn't understand that, then that is my fault for not making my delivery better.

---------- Post added 2013-05-31 at 07:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    Ye on my Server usually Potions and Flasks are +-10% of Mats costs, which considering the AH cut 5% means some people only profit when their 15% proc procs again.
    Not all are as competitionless as albib.
    Then if the profit off of potions and flasks isn't high enough, is ink? Glyphs? It's extremely rare that mats cost more than the finished product on the AH. But if the profit isn't high enough, I would move on to another profession, before I farmed.
    Last edited by ablib; 2013-06-01 at 12:29 AM.

for 75g/stack ore im making close to 300-400 profit
    i buy ore in bulks around 100-500 stacks
    thats 7500x5 37500 gold and i get around 100k if not more out of it
    abandon gathering it will never be as profitable as crafting
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

TBH iam keeping stacks and stacks of ore just incase epic gems are prospectable like in wrath but deep down i know they will go with the cata model

but hey im a speculator plus i suspect they will do to engi and maybe JC what they did for BS and allow you to use ghost iron to level up which will make those mats shoot up and completely kill off the older ore

Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post
    TBH iam keeping stacks and stacks of ore just incase epic gems are prospectable like in wrath but deep down i know they will go with the cata model

but hey im a speculator plus i suspect they will do to engi and maybe JC what they did for BS and allow you to use ghost iron to level up which will make those mats shoot up and completely kill off the older ore
    So I should save all my ghost iron ores for 5.4?

---------- Post added 2013-06-01 at 11:13 AM ----------

Did some calculating, I wont have any profit from making vermins bite. One vermin is about 3g and snow lily and green tea is roughly 1,5g on the AH
    My dad once told me that aslong as religion existed, even I could make my own fantasy buddys

Deleted
    what clevin said. Most of the experienced gold makers start off with the phrase all servers are different.

OP if you wnat to make serious gold then you have to understand basic economics.

You then have to be prepared to apply those and put effort in.

Have a look at the thread on shuffling.

Abib you are highly selective. The reason why you can get cheap mats is because of bots. It wasnt and isnt always the case that gathering professions were always the poor alternative. Your server sounds like you have zero competition if you cna turn 60g of mats for a common potion into 300g a stack. On servers where there is competition then youd be lucky to make 20%.

Farming will never be profitable for the time invested? You seem very sure of yourself abib, but its not always the case and there are situations where it makes perfect sense to farm. You dont always have bots to rely on or stuff may be out of supply. In the first few months of any expansion then farming is immensely profitable.
    Last edited by mmoc0afa280d34; 2013-06-01 at 12:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I thought my post was clear that it was just a general example of how using the AH and your professions is better than farming. If you didn't understand that, then that is my fault for not making my delivery better.

---------- Post added 2013-05-31 at 07:29 PM ----------

Then if the profit off of potions and flasks isn't high enough, is ink? Glyphs? It's extremely rare that mats cost more than the finished product on the AH. But if the profit isn't high enough, I would move on to another profession, before I farmed.
    No, you were clear, I was just pointing out that your conclusion might or might not hold depending in whether the price for pots was similar on the OPs server. But yeah, you're right that OP should check the price of easily made things like Virmen's Bite to see if there's gold there.

Deleted
    if you can sell them fast enough...

Quote Originally Posted by 999tigger View Post
    what clevin said. Most of the experienced gold makers start off with the phrase all servers are different.

OP if you wnat to make serious gold then you have to understand basic economics.

You then have to be prepared to apply those and put effort in.

Have a look at the thread on shuffling.

Abib you are highly selective. The reason why you can get cheap mats is because of bots. It wasnt and isnt always the case that gathering professions were always the poor alternative. Your server sounds like you have zero competition if you cna turn 60g of mats for a common potion into 300g a stack. On servers where there is competition then youd be lucky to make 20%.

Farming will never be profitable for the time invested? You seem very sure of yourself abib, but its not always the case and there are situations where it makes perfect sense to farm. You dont always have bots to rely on or stuff may be out of supply. In the first few months of any expansion then farming is immensely profitable.

You are correct. For the first month, perhaps, farming is good, and is all I really do instead of leveling. Other than that, yes it never makes sense to farm. It's simple economics really.

Farming in WoW is similar to real life. Who's richer? The farmers that plant and harvest the corn? Or the companies that package and sell it to the end user? It will always be the companies that buy the farmers mats and resell it.

Deleted
    Nppe abib its soemthing you have to weight up from server to server, even at this late stage. Where supply is greater than demand maybe, but where demand i.e crafters far exceed supply then the price of raw materials goes up. AH in mop is interesting becayse for the first time I cna recall there are so many shufflers sat at the ah that people who farm are few and far between. It is possible now to make more farming than in the ah alone. It depends on server prices supply and demand.

People who mine minerals, supply gas and oil are richer than ever these days.

That said most of the time crafting will beat straight farming, but where supply is disrupted, then farming comes back into play.
    Last edited by mmoc0afa280d34; 2013-06-02 at 04:22 PM.

I think they nerfed gold making this expansion. I made over a mil during Cata from prospecting, crafting, and DEing the stuff I crafted. I was easily emptying 15-20k a morning from my mailbox during Cata depending on how much ore was available to buy. Now Im lucky if I make 10-15k a week much less a day.

Id say the best bet now for making gold now is to solo all the raids that drop pets every week.
    Old world mats will always sell better because the bots dont farm that stuff. Low supply and high demand = high prices
    Can look up transmog prices on your server and try and farm that stuff. With AoE looting its a lot faster
    Bags still sell for crap loads. Get the treasure finding potions and farm cloth at the troggs in Deepholm. Embersilk bags are 400-450g
    Last edited by Dabrix32; 2013-06-03 at 03:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    I think they nerfed gold making this expansion. I made over a mil during Cata from prospecting, crafting, and DEing the stuff I crafted. I was easily emptying 15-20k a morning from my mailbox during Cata depending on how much ore was available to buy. Now Im lucky if I make 10-15k a week much less a day.

Id say the best bet now for making gold now is to solo all the raids that drop pets every week.
    Old world mats will always sell better because the bots dont farm that stuff. Low supply and high demand = high prices
    Can look up transmog prices on your server and try and farm that stuff. With AoE looting its a lot faster
    Bags still sell for crap loads. Get the treasure finding potions and farm cloth at the troggs in Deepholm. Embersilk bags are 400-450g
    Its competition, which depends on servers. When you made 15k in the morning, there was probably barely anyone. Now theirs even more people, so you have to watch it a lot more. it all depends on undercutters in all honesty
    ive had pretty dec experiences with it

Deleted
    More people on the ah.
    Easier to have a profession at 600 and all cuts rather than the dailies which fewer people did.
    Addons.
    People more self sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by artem123 View Post
    Its competition, which depends on servers. When you made 15k in the morning, there was probably barely anyone. Now theirs even more people, so you have to watch it a lot more. it all depends on undercutters in all honesty
    ive had pretty dec experiences with it
    WoW has lost 2 million players since then how can there be more people?