Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    I just love the disconnect.
    You must have missed the "Joking aside" comment...

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Just to let you know why most of these places don't have basements, its because they live on red clay and sand. Red Clay tends to hold water too easily, expands and contracts a lot easier than normal soil as well.
    I'm sure there are ways to build around that issue to, my point is that if you decide to live in such an area it would be worth it if you value your life and "sfuff".
    Last edited by Redblade; 2013-06-01 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    You must have missed the "Joking aside" comment...

I'm sure there are ways to build around that issue to, my point is that if you decide to live in such an area it would be worth it if you value your life and "sfuff".
    That's almost the same as saying people are stupid for not wearing kevlar vests to a desk job. Sure, it helps mitigate a risk but its uncomfortable and expensive thus not always the best choice. you can't be perfectly prepared for everything you need to balance it with your ability to still live your life and how much money you have.

Somewhere around 30 people have died to tornadoes in Oklahoma within a month, I would be highly surprised if less people died from heart conditions in the same time period in that state and this is the worst tornadoes have been around there in a LONG time.
    Proud member of the zero infraction club (lets see how long this can last =)

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Are you serious? Even a stone house wouldn't survive against an F4 or F5 tornado. Against 300+ mph winds not much would survive, especially when a 2x4 can be thrown through a car like a hot knife through butter.
    You can build a house which would survive any kind of tornado, it's always a matter of money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    Maybe it'll teach people a lesson to not live in shitty areas and build wooden houses over stone. If you're going to live in a place that is prone for tornadoes, how about you think ahead and build your house out of stone... "But it costs so much more than wood" what costs less? Another house or a one time build?
    Yeah, they should live on the Coasts where it's safe. Except for Hurricanes. Except for Earthquakes. Except being the staging point in the event of a war/attack. Except for coastal flooding.

It's almost like it's not safer at all.

Also, thing of world hunger, then think of world hunger without the Great Plains feeding the entire planet. Also, just think next time period.j

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    You can build a house which would survive any kind of tornado, it's always a matter of money.
    Yes, I'm sure everyone has the financial opportunity to build a house from solid sheets of steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post
    Yeah, they should live on the Coasts where it's safe. Except for Hurricanes. Except for Earthquakes. Except being the staging point in the event of a war/attack. Except for coastal flooding.

It's almost like it's not safer at all.

Also, thing of world hunger, then think of world hunger without the Great Plains feeding the entire planet. Also, just think next time period.j

Yes, I'm sure everyone has the financial opportunity to build a house from solid sheets of steel.
    that probably wouldn't do it either, it would have to be underground by a good bit and might need a method to dig its entrance back out if burried... i would say inconvenience would be just as big a factor as money, most rich folks wouldn't want to live in one.

Maybe it'll teach people a lesson to not live in shitty areas and build wooden houses over stone. If you're going to live in a place that is prone for tornadoes, how about you think ahead and build your house out of stone... "But it costs so much more than wood" what costs less? Another house or a one time build?
    http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/yo...lus-d_417.html

HOLY SHIT Apparently there's actual scientific data on the internet you can look for, before you go around making half-witted assertions about structural engineering. "WOOD IS BAD BECAUSE THE BIG BAD WOLF LULZ"

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Jeeeeesee, those pics are brutal, has anyone ever considered, you know, moving >_>?
    we need folks to live there and its been brought up quite a few times already

10+ Year Old Account
    I was being sarcastic. Almost nothing can survive an EF5 tornado. Especially not if it hits an Urban area and has projectiles. It's just a danger of living in that part of the country.

Here's a recap of human history. Mother Earth is trying her absolute damndest to kill all of us. We just get better at stopping her. Sometimes...sometimes we just can't.

10+ Year Old Account
    If people don't live in the midwest, there goes an enormous amount of crops that are vital to the economy and food distribution.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Notchris View Post
    Typhoons are not tornadoes. Not even a Cat 5 (156+mph) is on par with an EF5 (200+mph) in shear power. The highest recorded typhoon wind speed was typhoon Tip at 190mph, where as the highest tornado wind speed was 318mph.
    They're not even comparable.
    Ofc they are not, Typhoons are much, much, much, much more powerfull.. They can lost for days with the winds up to 160mph while tornadoes dont last that long..

Quote Originally Posted by goobernoob View Post
    That's almost the same as saying people are stupid for not wearing kevlar vests to a desk job. Sure, it helps mitigate a risk but its uncomfortable and expensive thus not always the best choice. you can't be perfectly prepared for everything you need to balance it with your ability to still live your life and how much money you have.
    It's not really, a basement is useful to you in more ways than one, sure it's s higher cost when you build your hose but it also enables you to build a more disposable top, it also helps protect your assets if a tornado hits.

Quote Originally Posted by goobernoob View Post
    Somewhere around 30 people have died to tornadoes in Oklahoma within a month, I would be highly surprised if less people died from heart conditions in the same time period in that state and this is the worst tornadoes have been around there in a LONG time.
    Perhaps, that still doesn't make it a bad idea to be prepared, like others have said there needs to be people living in those areas and as such one would assume they would build accordingly, for their own safety and that of others.

Just imagine how much it would have helped if you knew everyone had a basement in such an area, while not realistic in the short term it could definitely be a long term goal if the government wanted it to.

Are you serious? Is this guy serious?

Are you really that ignorant or dumb to think a stone house would survive is 300 miles per hour winds? Or did you just not think that one through, either way you are an idiot.

However I am confused as to why people choose to live in these parts of the world and even willing to form their lives around the fact a home wrecking, life dangering natural disaster with probably happen at some point. I just do not get it.

Maybe it's because I live in England and having to worry about the weather doesn't actually occur in our minds here and maybe we are just not used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    If people don't live in the midwest, there goes an enormous amount of crops that are vital to the economy and food distribution.
    Also this. If the economic benefit of having a populated widwest didn't outweigh the loses caused by tornadic activity the government would probably just build a giant wall there and forbid people from living there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    Ofc they are not, Typhoons are much, much, much, much more powerfull.. They can lost for days with the winds up to 160mph while tornadoes dont last that long..
    He's referring to the intensity of the damage.

Take 150 Kg and place it over a surface area of 3 m². Now, put that same weight over an area of 3 cm².

That is the difference between a hurricane and tornado. A Typhoon is a Hurricane. They are the same storm in different Oceans. This is an age old discussion here in the United States, because the U.S. gets hit with the overwhelming majority of the world's tornadoes. Honestly, if you aren't a U.S. citizen, your opinion on Tornadoes is mostly worthless, because there is almost no actual experience to place behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    An 8 lb sledge hammer, swung by the same person, is more powerful than a 2.5 lb axe. Which would you rather get hit in the foot with?

Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    Absolute bullshit. That's simply not how concrete works. Somebody put the wood there, collected the rubble and put it in there.
    No, concrete has a very low tensile strength. Pound per pound it is one of the weakest building materials on the market. It's desirable for the fact that it's fireproof, or where hardness is important, not because it's strong.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/yo...lus-d_417.html
    JUST LOOK

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Fair enough, good luck I guess. Does the government give out grants for tornado proof houses or anything like that?
    Yes, grants like that exist. However spending such large sums of money for a event that might never happen is just a waste of resources. Flooding is a much greater danger but never gets the same media attention as a Tornado.
    Like walking around in a Rubber suit to protect yourself from Lightning or building a home to withstand a Airliner, meteor crashing into it. The chances of getting struck by a Tornado are low.

Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    It's not really, a basement is useful to you in more ways than one, sure it's s higher cost when you build your hose but it also enables you to build a more disposable top, it also helps protect your assets if a tornado hits.

Perhaps, that still doesn't make it a bad idea to be prepared, like others have said there needs to be people living in those areas and as such one would assume they would build accordingly, for their own safety and that of others.

Just imagine how much it would have helped if you knew everyone had a basement in such an area, while not realistic in the short term it could definitely be a long term goal if the government wanted it to.
    yes it can be a good idea to make preparations if you are in a tornado area, but building a tornado proof house or even a basement might not be feasible due to money or inconvenience, what would be reasonable in most cases is to have some emergency supplies and know where a storm shelter is nearby.
    I did some rough math on the last part you quoted, it worked out to about 19.9 avg deaths per day by heart disease in oaklahoma, that makes it a good competitor for our tornadoes in just one day instead of a month.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    areas of the world are and have been prone to natural disasters. no one can deny that. the midwest has always been prone to tornados, the west has always been prone to earthquakes and the south has always been prone to hurricanes. theres nothing to prevent these actions (short of living underground in the midwest, 100 miles in shore in the south, and completely abandoning the west coast from the earthquakes)

things like this are not realistic. some people have lived their whole lives in these areas, including myself, and not suffered any major tragedies. at the same time ive known family and friends that have lived less than an hour from me and have had their property decimated. NO ONE can predict the weather or the future, its proven fact. that being said, things like the governments report about them funding peoples' estate to build their house up to prevent it from being flooded and them not using the actual money for it angers me.

i dont condemn people for living in oklahoma, or kansas, or arkansas or any of the midwest states, after all what else would you suggest? everyone in the US move to a state like kentucky, or tennesse, or georiga that is more or less free from earthquakes, tornados and hurricanes? lets see how fast places like that get overpopulated. that being said, i also have little pity for those who continue to settle in areas like that who have the ability to move. i had grandparents that lived in florida, about 50 miles from the gulf of mexico, they would complain every hurricane season about how they would sometimes have to go stay in a hotel a few days farther inland. they had the ability to move their shit but refused to do so. these people were my family and i had little remorse for them when they received damage from a tropical storm or hurricane.

i live in western kentucky. i get severe storms that roll thru here in the spring quite often. ive had damage done to my property that most likely could be prevented if i moved further east or northeast. i dont expect freebies or handouts. i choose to live here. people who live in areas, like new orleans, or florida or texas, who get wrecked by tropical storms/hurricanes every year and demand hand outs infuriate me.

tldr - shit happens. feeling sorry for yourself and demanding/expecting compensation from government agencies and/or private parties (regardless of the region you live in) are fuckin retarded.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    Well I suppose if you wish to make your home in a similar manner to how nuclear reactor walls are built then yeah it probably could weather an EF5 Tornado. But that being a ridiculous notion the next best thing is going mole and building underground which many people don't do well with. Something about not seeing the sun through the windows.