Thread: Good news.

  1. #1

    Good news.

    Hi all, today I was sent a video on Youtube, this was Patrick Stewart giving a beautiful response to a person in the audience about domestic violence, particularly women & children. After watching this, i've thought about how topics covered in the news are mostly negative stories, while the heartwarming and positive stories, which may sometimes put that little bit of faith back in humanity are often left out. Even on here I see a lot of the more depressing stories, or people trying to belittle one another, whether this be their point of view or a story they've told, for no reason.

    So, I would like for you to all share a story, or just tell one of your own, whether it was yourself or another person, maybe something you saw which shows not everything has to be depressing or negative. These don't necessarily have to be something that is "news worthy" but more something that made you or someone else happy.

    Sorry, this isn't supposed to be a debate about domestic violence.. it was more to show a heartwarming story I saw recently than anything.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=TqFaiVNuy1k#!
    Last edited by x_Fiona_X; 2013-06-01 at 01:32 PM.

  2. #2
    The Lightbringer Celltrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Funkytown
    Posts
    3,752
    "Violence is never a choice a man should make"

    Because it goes only one way. Good job Patrick Stewart.

  3. #3
    Legendary! Manakin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Cambridge!
    Posts
    6,404
    That's good to see, it's only a shame that the comments are rife with derision over the lack of male domestic abuse shelters.

    And welcome to MMO-Champ, home of the neckbeards and ponys - where people are waiting to pick on you!

    (Yes, i was joking. Just in case some over-zealous mod comes to infract me!)

    ---------- Post added 2013-06-01 at 02:27 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    "Violence is never a choice a man should make"

    Because it goes only one way. Good job Patrick Stewart.
    It's still an apt sentiment Cell.

    Violence is never the right choice, self - defense is admissible, senseless beating isn't.

  4. #4
    The Lightbringer Celltrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Funkytown
    Posts
    3,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    That's good to see, it's only a shame that the comments are rife with derision over the lack of male domestic abuse shelters.

    And welcome to MMO-Champ, home of the neckbeards and ponys - where people are waiting to pick on you!

    (Yes, i was joking. Just in case some over-zealous mod comes to infract me!)

    ---------- Post added 2013-06-01 at 02:27 PM ----------



    It's still an apt sentiment Cell.

    Violence is never the right choice, self - defense is admissible, senseless beating isn't.
    My "opinions" and people who share my "opinions", are not found only on MMO-Champion.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    "Violence is never a choice a man should make"

    Because it goes only one way. Good job Patrick Stewart.
    Not off to a great start..damn you Celltrex! :P *scolds* Being serious now, but I think it's still nice that he's doing something, even if he doesn't talk about men specifically here. The charity he talks about does help men, too. http://refuge.org.uk/get-help-now/he...re-abused-too/

  6. #6
    Legendary! Manakin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Cambridge!
    Posts
    6,404
    Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    Point still stands. My "opinions" and people who share my "opinions", are not exclusive on MMO-Champion.
    And i'm not lauding yours as an incorrect or infallible one - it's just as you say.

    An opinion.

    Men face a very real lack of assistance in domestic abuse situations, i know that and acknowledge it - but coming into here to simply hijack the thread, when that isn't the issue being discussed is a little scummy...

    So, I would like for you to all share a story, or just tell one of your own, whether it was yourself or another person, maybe something you saw which shows not everything has to be depressing or negative

  7. #7
    The Lightbringer Rixis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Hyrule
    Posts
    3,660
    It can only be x if it's against y.

    It can only be sexist against women, racist against black etc.

    Women are incapable of domestic violence against men because those the the minority/less talked about problems.

  8. #8
    Herald of the Titans Yilar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,777

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    That was a very nice video! It's great to see little acts of kindness Is a camera inside the car a usual thing there?

  10. #10
    Herald of the Titans Yilar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,777
    Quote Originally Posted by x_Fiona_X View Post
    That was a very nice video! It's great to see little acts of kindness Is a camera inside the car a usual thing there?
    In Russia? ABSOLUTELY!

    Why Almost Everyone in Russia Has a Dash Cam
    Last edited by Yilar; 2013-06-01 at 01:58 PM.

  11. #11
    Legendary! Reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    6,402
    Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    "Violence is never a choice a man should make"

    Because it goes only one way. Good job Patrick Stewart.
    He's speaking from his personal childhood. He's just making connections he has seen and lived himself, I really doubt he thinks women are incapable of violence.

  12. #12
    Legendary! Manakin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Cambridge!
    Posts
    6,404
    Quote Originally Posted by Katarinna View Post
    Videos of soldiers coming home to their children in class/dogs are always heartwarming to watch for me.
    Likewise, but also videos of animals being recused from abusive homes/ abandoned.

    P.S I love watching African grey parrots, they so damn smart o.o!


  13. #13
    The Lightbringer Rixis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Hyrule
    Posts
    3,660
    Quote Originally Posted by Katarinna View Post
    Way to derail, Mr Negative. Also, maybe if you stop accusing imaginary people of thinking in such warped ways, we'd be able to move on to real issues like:
    I guess I need sarcasm tags to make it obvious that I find such thinking retarded, and what I'm actually doing is agreeing with you?

    Also, it's not imaginary.

  14. #14
    Read OP, read following posts, was disappoint. Patrick Stewart was caring, advocated organizations that help two very real things that should be taken seriously, and hugged someone who was sad. Yes, he may not have mentioned that the abuse situations can be reversed, but the message stands the same.

    Props to PT for advocating two good causes, and being a genuinely awesome human. Props to OP too, for sharing this mood lifter with the rest of us.
    I have no morals or logic. fear me like you have feared no other.

  15. #15
    The Insane Cattaclysmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    It can only be x if it's against y.

    It can only be sexist against women, racist against black etc.

    Women are incapable of domestic violence against men because those the the minority/less talked about problems.
    An argument could be made that for it to be offensive rather than laughable it would require political/economic/social majority to be prejudiced rather than the minority.

    I think this guy explains the idea pretty well.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfighter101 View Post
    Read OP, read following posts, was disappoint. Patrick Stewart was caring, advocated organizations that help two very real things that should be taken seriously, and hugged someone who was sad. Yes, he may not have mentioned that the abuse situations can be reversed, but the message stands the same.

    Props to PT for advocating two good causes, and being a genuinely awesome human. Props to OP too, for sharing this mood lifter with the rest of us.
    Thank you! though this hasn't really went the way i intended.. v.v

  17. #17
    Mechagnome Zaelkath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    In your dreams.
    Posts
    644
    The comments on the video are disabled (I can only guess why) so I'll leave it here.

    I fucking love Patrick Stewart.
    It would be dark inside my head...if not for the fires...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •