Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    I just think it's embarassing how GGG stomps Blizz. D3 is not a bad game no, but Diablo used to something extra. Now it's like whatever. Rogue Legacy beats D3 as ARPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    While I personally don't like DIII that much either, people need to realize that nostalgia can and DOES have an effect on what you like NOW. I can happily play Halo 2 and would probably say that it's better than Halo 4 yet I know that speaking completely objectively, Halo 4 is superior to Halo 2 in pretty much any way that matters.
    Thing is there are factors in these games that are time independent. Atmosphere, sense of progression, building up your character . D3 is failing on these fronts.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a die-hard D2 fan, you know what absolutely ruined D3 for me? The terrible story conveyance. In D2, Blizzard set out to tell a tale. And god dammit, you were going to sit down, shut the fuck up, stay awhile, and listen. It was made to appeal to role playing enthusiasts who actually cared about good stories and good storytelling. It was a world filled with rich history, and countless untold secrets.

Then D3 came along, and somewhere along the way they decided "we want to appeal heavily to our WoW player base, most of whom have the attention-span of a squirrel. So make absolutely sure that no dialogue sequence ever lasts for more than 10 seconds. Even if it means that the story will make no sense whatsoever." Essentially, Blizzard created an entirely story-driven game, then removed the story element, leaving only a strange and confusing shell behind. And now they're baffled that people don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    While I personally don't like DIII that much either, people need to realize that nostalgia can and DOES have an effect on what you like NOW. I can happily play Halo 2 and would probably say that it's better than Halo 4 yet I know that speaking completely objectively, Halo 4 is superior to Halo 2 in pretty much any way that matters.

People are happily going back to Vanilla WoW servers, yet it is completely undeniable that WotLK was better than Vanilla WoW in literally every single way and yet those same people will say that WotLK sucked and Vanilla WoW was/IS better.
    So much truth in here.

Nostalgia is a strange beast. A few days ago I had the time to reflect upon my younger days. The excellent games I played ...

However ... everyone of these games failed when I tried to replay them now... Star Raiders ? Hundreds of hours back then, now totally unplayable.

The same goes for board games too !

Diablo 3 in hardcore mode is simply 3 times better than D2. Objectively: graphics wise, security wise, economy wise, pacing, wondering elites, on line speed, ... everything is simply faster, smoother.

D3 HC is simply awesome. Best Blizzard game ever.

I never had the problem to finish the game in D2 and start farming from the release day.

In D3 i found myself locked at act 2 with no gear to progress and no money to buy it. I sucked so bad that i deleted all my chars in nerdrage (my current main in another char i started anew some time after the first patches).

With the latest changes D3 has become a really, really good game. I'm playing it constantly and loving the farming. Cannot wait for the itemization revamp they're planning.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    As a die-hard D2 fan, you know what absolutely ruined D3 for me? The terrible story conveyance. In D2, Blizzard set out to tell a tale. And god dammit, you were going to sit down, shut the fuck up, stay awhile, and listen. It was made to appeal to role playing enthusiasts who actually cared about good stories and good storytelling. It was a world filled with rich history, and countless untold secrets.

Then D3 came along, and somewhere along the way they decided "we want to appeal heavily to our WoW player base, most of whom have the attention-span of a squirrel. So make absolutely sure that no dialogue sequence ever lasts for more than 10 seconds. Even if it means that the story will make no sense whatsoever." Essentially, Blizzard created an entirely story-driven game, then removed the story element, leaving only a strange and confusing shell behind. And now they're baffled that people don't like it.
    That's not how I remember D2 at all. The story seemed to revolve around "he went that way", then you go that way and proceed through the typical forest/desert/jungle levels because there's some vague thing you need to find or do. To be honest I never had a clue what I was doing in Tal'Rasha's tomb other than looking for the Arcane Sanctuary (which killed my Necro build and forced me to start over twice) and the Flayer Jungle was just a place with cute pygmies that I passed through.

I'm not saying D3 did it much better but I can't agree that any Diablo game has focused on world-building or story-telling; particularly not if you compare it to games from BioWare or Bethesda or even WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    That's not how I remember D2 at all. The story seemed to revolve around "he went that way", then you go that way and proceed through the typical forest/desert/jungle levels because there's some vague thing you need to find or do. To be honest I never had a clue what I was doing in Tal'Rasha's tomb other than looking for the Arcane Sanctuary (which killed my Necro build and forced me to start over twice) and the Flayer Jungle was just a place with cute pygmies that I passed through.

I'm not saying D3 did it much better but I can't agree that any Diablo game has focused on world-building or story-telling; particularly not if you compare it to games from BioWare or Bethesda or even WoW.
    I entirely agree with this sentiment. Story telling and long character exposition were never the hallmarks of the Diablo franchise. I really can't think of any Diablo 2 "dialogue sequence ever last[ing] for more than 10 seconds", cut scenes not included. Diablo 2 for as much fun as it was really boiled down to most quest givers telling you, as Dhrizzle said, "He went thataway". The first Diablo was basically longwinded dialogue sequences from Deckard Cain as you went into the different wings/levels of the dungeons explaining why you should be there, which is as compelling as it sounds.

I don't think Diablo 3 did it any better or worse than the previous installations as far as how the story was communicated to the player, although I will state that Azmodan desperately needed to get his dialogue dialed down a bit. The only thing he was lacking was a moustache to twirl and him occasionally saying "Mwa ha ha"
    Last edited by The Casualty; 2013-07-19 at 05:05 PM.

If the game was simply as bad as you make it out to be, whey did it sell as well as it did ?
    Was it bought by a load of stupid players, stupid players which therefore have no trustworthy opinion on how good or bad it is.
    Contradicting yourselves, because if you bought it you made a judgement on what you saw.

If you chose to stick your head in the sand your opinions are worthless, and would prove that a noisy portion of the playerbase is a load of sheep who follow the person in front of them, wherever that may lead.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2013-07-20 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    I don't think Diablo 3 did it any better or worse than the previous installations as far as how the story was communicated to the player, although I will state that Azmodan desperately needed to get his dialogue dialed down a bit. The only thing he was lacking was a moustache to twirl and him occasionally saying "Mwa ha ha"
    Well the collectible tomes were a great addition, so were the comments about monsters and such ... that's a plus point for D3. Minus point is the main story and the cinematics. I will take no story ala D2 over those in a heart beat.

Overall I just wish Blizz adds some sort of skill tree to put points in and deepens the itemization/crafting options by A LOT. The combat in itself and content are ok.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Sounds to me like Blizzard is just as sick of whiny little children as I am.

He's right. If you don't like something then take a break and play something you do like.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. - George Santayana
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana

reviews summarize the content of the game.

On the same token, can't do that with an annual pass

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarius View Post
    Source

OK so first of all this community manager tells us to stop playing the game if we don't like it.

Then he says "read reviews" before you buy the expansion. Does he know it's going to suck?

It looks to me like Blizzard's just given up.
    Them saying to check back at a later time (i.e. after patches / xpacs) does not equal them giving up.

It is an extremely obvious point they are making. Not everyone is going to like their game and they know that, what they are giving you is sound advice.

I agree that they messed up on d3, but I also stopped playing it and never really payed for it (1year sub and I was going to stay subbed anyways).

When I am actually paying for big ticket ($60) games I usually watch a stream of the game before paying 60 bucks or more for said game.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarius View Post
    Source

OK so first of all this community manager tells us to stop playing the game if we don't like it.

Then he says "read reviews" before you buy the expansion. Does he know it's going to suck?

It looks to me like Blizzard's just given up.
    More like, the fanboyism they created themselves mutated into such abominous dimensions that they have to beat the players back to their senses on their own. Obviously today's players can't figure out that by themselves anymore. I like actually them being that honest with their fans. We, and especially anyone who feels offended by it, should think about it and appreciate that advice, and not use it as an excuse to cause an outrage.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    If the game was simply as bad as you make it out to be, whey did it sell as well as it did ?
    Was it bought by a load of stupid players, stupid players which therefore have no trustworthy opinion on how good or bad it is.
    Contradicting yourselves, because if you bought it you made a judgement on what you saw.

If you chose to stick your head in the sand your opinions are worthless, and would prove that a noisy portion of the playerbase is a load of sheep who follow the person in front of them, wherever that may lead.
    Without actually joining in on the good vs. bad argument, I just had to say that this is just wrong.

"IT SOLD A LOT, HENCE GAME IS GOOD" is such a flawed argument. Do you even know the amount of hype that existed before the release of this game? Also with your logic, SWTOR should've been amazing seeing as it broke several sales records and, to this day, is the fastest growing MMO ever made (http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011...n_1171028.html).
    Last edited by Coronius; 2013-07-24 at 10:49 PM.
    You cannot do that while stunned.
    You die.
    You are dead.

Deleted
    Sounds to me like they're tired of people complaining how crap their game is, so they're open admitting it's probly gonna be crap lol

Quote Originally Posted by Coronius View Post
    Without actually joining in on the good vs. bad argument, I just had to say that this is just wrong.

"IT SOLD A LOT, HENCE GAME IS GOOD" is such a flawed argument. Do you even know the amount of hype that existed before the release of this game? Also with your logic, SWTOR should've been amazing seeing as it broke several sales records and, to this day, is the fastest growing MMO ever made (http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011...n_1171028.html).

There is a HUGE difference between selling 12 million copies in 7 months time and have 14.5 million players during the first year and 1 million players mentioned in SW TOR ...

And those sales and players even came after the biggest nerdy assaults against the game for various obscure reasons, like being against a RMAH, being against on line only play, for being a non MMORPG, for being too hard, for being too easy, for being too Diablo, for being not too Diablo ... etc ...

In the end D3 is a fabulous and TYPICAL dungeon crawler now with an extreme challenging play in hardcore, where players can even set up their 11 different difficulties in mobs, elites and bosses play.

And D3 is here to stay, because I can always find thousands of public groups day and night to play with

The only shortcoming to me is that there are no PvP scenarios yet, but make no mistake for those who like simple but challenging dungeon crawlers - certainly in hardcore mode with a well functioning hardcore economy - there is no better game on the market right now.

D3 strength is that it couples challenge (in hardcore) with casual timing (you play at your own timing) and without the need to attune for reputations or "get to the latest end game".

You can play it and shelve it for weeks, months even a year and jump in whenever in the mood. My goals of having the 5 different classes killing Diablo in Inferno hardcore is still far far away, but I know I have fun AND stress each time I log in whenever I am in the mood.

In which game these days can you state the above ?

So if you don't like this particular hardcore challenge, shrug ... stop playing and go play Crazy Birds.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-07-25 at 06:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounded to me that the guy was talking from one gamer to another, being completely reasonable in his response. I would have said the exact same thing if I was in his position.

I love when CS people give real, legitimate responses rather than the usual towing-the-party-line junk. It shows their attitude. They're gamers too and sometimes it's nice when they just speak to gamers as gamers, rather than the voice of the company.