Thread: The Swapper

The Swapper

I think this just came out; only saw it on Steam for the first time yesterday and just picked it up, and after playing for an hour or so...

Wow. Just fucking wow. This is easily Portal levels of perfection so far, or promises to be. Please tell me I'm not the only one who has heard of this and played it.

Also, for those of you interested, the entire game is hand-crafted clay models (or most of it, from what I understand), which is why the game looks so odd and surreally beautiful, yet at the same time very alien. It's all very fitting and atmospheric and is honestly one of the most unique looking games I have ever played. It honestly never even occured to me for a second in all my years of gaming to use real-life assets to create visuals in games, but it works amazingly well.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

You are correct in your thoughts. The Swapper is one of those games that does not come around very often. It is great, and it continues to be great all the way through.

I love the art style and I enjoy the puzzles, but another aspect of the game that really appeals to me is how the narration helps build the world without beating you over the head like an idiot.

For those of you who want to know what the game looks like, here's a series I've been working on that shows the game: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...hX7umMLsdf3m0d

It's kind of surprising me how under the radar this thing seems to be. Okay sure, it's only just out, but I have seen nobody talking about it, no marketing, no hype, no nothing. It just popped up on steam and honestly this kind of thing really deserves to get more attention; Indie projects that turn out like this are worth supporting, and the game is worth it. Reviews are giving it insane scores across the board too.

I hope this gets more attention from you guys, and maybe gets some sleeper sales further down the line if this turns into the classic it deserves to.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

Wow I love these games and had no idea. Going to purchase this one straight away, looks great.

I bought this game and was so pumped to play it, then i found out it doesn't support intel HD graphics

Dude.

It doesn't need them. It really doesn't need them. It looks beautiful, and HD graphics would defeat the purpose of the aesthetic; it specifically doesn't want to have high definition textures or look crisp, it wants to look blurred, alien, surreal and creepy.

Trust me, the look will grow on you, and the gameplay is still amazing, and is no worse!

10+ Year Old Account
    This looks really good...I especially like the clay model art. It is on sale atm for 25% off, but I'm gonna be a stingy bast and wait for summer sale and hope for at least -50%.
    "Brevity is...wit"

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm having a hard time getting into it. I liked the review IGN gave and was looking forward to it but so far I'm disappointed. I haven't been challenged (yet, I'm sure, as I hear it gets a lot more complicated) and I've mostly been finding myself bored. Gonna keep at it but so far I haven't found it worth my money. Hate to be negative as I really do respect the idea but it's just not doing it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Migey View Post
    Dude.

It doesn't need them. It really doesn't need them. It looks beautiful, and HD graphics would defeat the purpose of the aesthetic; it specifically doesn't want to have high definition textures or look crisp, it wants to look blurred, alien, surreal and creepy.

Trust me, the look will grow on you, and the gameplay is still amazing, and is no worse!
    I think that on his system, it doesn't run at all. Not just 'not HD'.

Kind of surprisingly there's actually a few games out right now that look really good. I didn't hear about some season of good games or anything. Remember Me looks really neat, surprised I haven't heard more about it. It looks like a deus ex type of sci fi futuristic game. You can set up your own combat combos which looks like fun. Then there's "Folk Tale" which is still in development but they're going all fantasy sandbox mode like everybody ever seems to want right now. There's The Incredible adventures of Van Helsing which is a diablo-esque game that people say is amazing for an indie game. There's Kerbal Space Program which looks kind of entertaining. I watched a bunch of "Lets play" videos on it and it looked pretty fun. And there's Dust, an indie platformer that's supposed to be quite fun and was all made by one guy. It's really the rise of the indie games these days as major companies spend hundreds of millions on moar pixels and totally forget about actually making good games, indie programmers have really jumped to fill the vacuum.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    I'm having a hard time getting into it. I liked the review IGN gave and was looking forward to it but so far I'm disappointed. I haven't been challenged (yet, I'm sure, as I hear it gets a lot more complicated) and I've mostly been finding myself bored. Gonna keep at it but so far I haven't found it worth my money. Hate to be negative as I really do respect the idea but it's just not doing it for me.
    Shame

I found myself enjoying the puzzles early on, but not being particularly challenged by them, until halfway through the Enneagon Orbs sections, where some of them start to get insanely tough. Also, the story gets far more developed and interesting and some cool things start hapenning! How far are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Migey View Post
    Dude.

What? He says his GPU isn't supported and you start talking about graphics :/

Saw it pop up on Steam, but didn't think much of it. But after I saw this thread I decided to watch the trailer, definitely looks like an interesting game to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    What? He says his GPU isn't supported and you start talking about graphics :/

Saw it pop up on Steam, but didn't think much of it. But after I saw this thread I decided to watch the trailer, definitely looks like an interesting game to play.
    Sorry, I misunderstood him.

Great game, far too short if you have any previous puzzle platformer experience though.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Nice game makes my brain to think to solve some puzzle its more of trial and error .

Really unique and if u are looking some Puzzle games this is something not to miss

10+ Year Old Account
    I did play something smiliar in flash game.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Just finished it. Bloody hell that was amazing. Shorter then I expected but worth every penny I paid for the most sublime game experience I've had in ages. This has a guaranteed spot in my top 5 of 2013.

Note; not a spoiler of story or anything below, just of the mechanics of the ending

I was quite furstrated by it giving you two choices and forcing you to youtube the other to see it. Both were amazing though

Some of the final puzzles in the game were diabloical though. Maybe I'm just not good at these games (although I usually manage to complete these kind of games without guides so I can't be that bad), but it took me over 30 minutes to solve the puzzle near the end with the four switches and 4 doors, with two of the switches being in a different gravity then the other two.

That said, I wouldn't have minded a few 'bigger' puzzles. Every single puzzle in the game was small and self contained in one small room, and while they were awesome, I feel the game still had potential to give us a few more, maybe slightly bigger ones. While the ending of the game does in no possible imagination dissapoint as an experience, there is absolutely no ending or climax for the gameplay, like a final, huge puzzle or anything.

But to quote a reviewer I like, these are the complaints of a small and insignificant mouse, clinging to the back of a lion with a jetpack. This game was fucking amazing. Really made me think and is easily the most atmospheric game I have ever played.

I cannot possibly keep recommending this enough. Please guys, be cool and support amazing indies developers like this. The money you spend on games like this not only provides you with amazing experiences, but will fuel the positive growth of the gaming industry (while the triple-A section seems determined to crash and burn) for years to come.
    Last edited by Migey; 2013-06-04 at 04:14 PM.

Looks interesting, I have to give it a try.