Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    very stable 4.5GHz/1866MHz with a "very low" 1.136v Core Voltage. Our per-core temperatures of 63C to 67C[/URL]
    70% of CPUs can clock to 4.5GHz
    For voltages up to 1.250-1.265 a Cooling solution meeting a minimum of a Corsair H80i is advised
    That right there gives me every reason to believe that most people can run at 4.5 on something like an EVO 212 with no problems. Even if they were getting 75-80c on stress tests.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Unless you're on Haswell.
    You definitely do not need H100 to overclock Haswell, as long as you're content with 4-4.4GHz which a lot of people run or will be running 24/7. Then again with the right motherboard and lucky sample you might hit 5.4GHz with the H100, granted it's the i7 but it's not that far off

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I'm not saying you're wrong, more that I just haven't kept up to date on Haswell benchmarks/reviews. I know it runs hotter, and will be harder to OC to the same levels... But some people are saying that you need better cooling to even reach over 4.0ghz. At the same time, the people saying this are also the people selling the $100-$150 products, the same people saying you needed those $100-$150 products for IB OC. Are there any links you have handy/easy to find showing that getting 4.4 to 4.5 on Haswell -requires- something like a Noctua, or water cooling?
    From what I can find Haswell is basically the same as ivy/sandy, but with X3 the onboard graphics and maybe 5-7% better performance.

Also I'd shoot for something like this and add a better PSU/stock liquid cooling:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Built...item35c8095fdd

That right there gives me every reason to believe that most people can run at 4.5 on something like an EVO 212 with no problems. Even if they were getting 75-80c on stress tests.
    Cherry picking a little aren't we?

HardOCP deems their 1.136V voltage as "very low" (aka winning the silicon lottery).

Sweoverclockers - 4.6 Ghz 1.246V 4670K; 4.4 Ghz 1.314V 4770K

Bit-tech: 4.7GHz 1.257V 98°C Corsair H100i

Review sites have no qualms about cooking their CPUs at 90-100°C during their review to show the overclocking capability of a chip. An average user is generally only looking for overclocks up to ~80°C, severely limiting the overclocking capability of a low end air cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    You definitely do not need H100 to overclock Haswell, as long as you're content with 4-4.4GHz which a lot of people run or will be running 24/7.
    4.5 Ghz is doable with the Hyper 212 EVO on Ivy. Haswell thermals are much worse. We can reasonably expect Haswell overclocking capability of a Hyper 212 EVO class cooler to be much less than 4.5 Ghz. I estimate ~4.2 Ghz tops with an average chip on the Hyper 212 Evo.

Stress test temperatures up to 80°C, the Hyper 212 Evo can really only push ~4.2 Ghz. For this scenario, I estimate 4 Ghz with an average chip on the Hyper 212 Evo.

When you can get 4 Ghz with multiplier overclocking on locked SKUs, why bother with K-unlocked SKUs unless you're pushing high-end air or AIOs?
    Last edited by yurano; 2013-06-03 at 02:19 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Angella View Post
    From what I can find Haswell is basically the same as ivy/sandy, but with X3 the onboard graphics and maybe 5-7% better performance.

Also I'd shoot for something like this and add a better PSU/stock liquid cooling:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Built...item35c8095fdd

What does "stock liquid cooling" even mean?

You don't know the final price (bids).

New PSU, new GPU as well.

No SSD.

You went from telling us you can't build it cheaper and should get a pre-built from Dell or something similar to suggesting some auction on Ebay. Also, where is that pre-built system with similar spec to my build suggestion you mentioned you'd find cheaper?

---------- Post added 2013-06-03 at 04:18 AM ----------

4.5 Ghz is doable with the Hyper 212 EVO on Ivy. Haswell thermals are much worse. We can reasonably expect Haswell overclocking capability of a Hyper 212 EVO class cooler to be much less than 4.5 Ghz. I estimate ~4.2 Ghz tops with an average chip on the Hyper 212 Evo.
    First of all that purely a guess. Secondly the average of 4-4.4GHz, the numbers I mentioned, is 4.2GHz so you're basically agreeing with me I guess.
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2013-06-03 at 02:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Secondly the average of 4-4.4GHz, the numbers I mentioned, is 4.2GHz so you're basically agreeing with me I guess.
    4.2 Ghz tops is different from 4.2 Ghz average. I also edited my post to give an estimate of what can be reasonably done with a Hyper 212 Evo and a thermal cap of 80°C, the temperature I see most mainstream overclockers go for.

Deleted
    ~4.2GHZ isn't 4.2 and as I'm sure you know the are never the same, so I'd say it's likely your ~4.2GHz could be less or slightly more (4-4.4?). I saw your edit and I don't agree but we'll see soon enough I suspect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bahahaha.. *snerk* Wait, are you serious? Are you truely trying to convince me that some no name guy on ebay with $50 video card, a firecracker power supply, 14 day warranty, 4 systems sold in a year with 90% positive feedback (this is a very low number) is what you call a 'reliable' vendor?

Also, if those numbers are accurate, and those temps, and 4.5ghz is not achievable on Air... 4.2 is still VERY attractive, and I was getting very good boosts when I was at that stage of OC. Considering WoW and other stuff usually pushes at least the 3C to 4C state... going from 3.7 across four cores to 4.2 with decent temps (below 65) on air still seems perfectly fine to me.
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-06-03 at 02:58 AM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, if those numbers are accurate, and those temps, and 4.5ghz is not achievable on Air... 4.2 is still VERY attractive, and I was getting very good boosts when I was at that stage of OC. Considering WoW and other stuff usually pushes at least the 3C to 4C state... going from 3.7 across four cores to 4.2 with decent temps (below 65) on air still seems perfectly fine to me.
    You'd be better off running a 3570k @ 4.5ghz than a 4670k at 4.2 ghz. just saying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    You'd be better off running a 3570k @ 4.5ghz than a 4670k at 4.2 ghz. just saying.
    I'm inclined to agree currently. I'd like to see a few more benchmarks floating around to see where the actual average lies.

HOWEVER, the point still stands... 4.2 on haswell, or 4.5 on ivy bridge, water cooling, and the cost involved, is not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Angella View Post
    Tell ya what give me specs and I'll find one cheaper than newegg components.

Are you really claiming you can OC on air at equivalent to liquid cooling? How many fans are you using?

Agree there's prob another $100/200 random stuff you need to get. Nothing earth shattering and bear in mind he's asking for a gaming rig.
    Im very impressed, you found a way to make a computer run WITHOUT a power supply? Don't just give me a $1200 part breakdown (which you somehow pulled out of your ass based off those #'s) when he said $800-1000.
    Last edited by Novx; 2013-06-03 at 03:26 AM.