Deleted

Problem selling gems

Hi

I have just started ore shuffling and I've made alittle money but not that much since i lvled up jc and enchanting at the same time. Now i have litterally hundreds of rare gems but i barely sell any of them! I'm on a very high populated server, don't people need gems anymore? From the uncommon gems i create necks/rings and disenchant them which sells good from mysterious essences, dust and shards. I always try to undercut the competition by setting a smaller price at the rare gems, but what should i do, level up alchemy on an alt aswell? I really wanna start making big money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone and thier mother has a JC pretty much. Everyone cuts thier own gems or gets them for free from guildies.

---------- Post added 2013-06-02 at 05:09 PM ----------

Everyone and thier mother has a JC pretty much. Everyone cuts thier own gems or gets them for free from guildies.

Should also say near the end of an expansion is a bad time to start tryng to make lots of money.

I have found the economy in MoP to be less lucrative than in previous expansions. This is perhaps partly due to more people being self-sufficient in their needs, but also because there are less people playing on my server than before. Case in point, I have all professions maxed out so I can pretty much cover my own needs except for belt buckles and armor kits (I didn't want to do the grueling rep grind on all my alts, I have a life outside the game).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spirits330 View Post
    I have found the economy in MoP to be less lucrative than in previous expansions. This is perhaps partly due to more people being self-sufficient in their needs, but also because there are less people playing on my server than before. Case in point, I have all professions maxed out so I can pretty much cover my own needs except for belt buckles and armor kits (I didn't want to do the grueling rep grind on all my alts, I have a life outside the game).
    I have all proffs, been using the BoA rep toeksn to aid with the recipes, but the Spirits of Harmony are the block until they go BoA in 5.4.

Then the items they make will be on the way out :/

I also have a bank full of gems, I tried to sell a few but hardly any went.

I send the ores to my Blacksmith to craft (random proc) 415 blue armour as those still sell well.

Back in Cataclysm, I pretty much owned the cloth market. And with the ease of leveling alts, everyone was always looking for gems, leg enchantments, glyphs and everything else. That was about the only good thing in Cataclysm, though--the ease of purchasing and selling goods due to an alt-friendly environment.

Deleted
    Going back to basics.

Demand side. Does it exist and are there enough players?

Supply side. What is your competition like?

Imo you are either selling things at too high a price= unlikely.
    You are selling the wrong cuts.
    You are being undercut.

I have seen a number of times where new players want to make serious coin whatever that is?
    If you want to make reasonable amounts of gold then understand economics and how it works on your server. Know your profession and what you cna supply that people want.

The AH then becomes a war of attrition with your competitors. If you dont babysit your auctions then see why your items dont sell. Its probably because youve been underccut. AH can simply boil down to an AH test of endurance as you continually relist your auctions to try to be the one chosen for a sale.

Where both of you are concerned its possible you are selling unpopular gems but more likley you are being undercut quickly and dont relist.

On my server, selling reg gems doesn't profit much. BUT, I have a JC and alch, and transmuting metas and then cutting them and selling them makes pretty good profit for me (not big money like 200k) but rough weekly average of 15-20k or so

Entirely depends on your server and your competition. After the recent bot ban wave I made around 300k without any real effort selling gems and flasks to buy a bit of gametime and a couple blizzard services and there could have been a lot more if someone put in the right amount of time.

The last 2 months or so everything on A52 has crashed. Windwool bolts went from 12 - 15g each to 7, Living Steel went from 500g to 450, etc. Very frustrating as a seller.

Deleted
    Very interesting as lots of my gems markets are now crashing because the short spike from the patch is dying fast and supply now exceeds demand. What is interesting is that the vast majority are shuffling and so the bottom cost is the price which they purchase ore at. They all have JC and so the added extra for a JC is becoming minimal to none existent. A lot of people are going to get burned.

I bet you're just being constantly undercut. get an addon to post and cancel auctions or it's going to be hard to make gold with undercutting competition.

Deleted
    so many people

Green-quality gems always sell well to people who are leveling JC, but it's a little late in the expansion and alts have it uphill both ways in MoP, so there are less people rolling a lot of them and leveling up all their crafts. Also, Ghost Iron Ore is so easy to mine, the economy gets very rapidly bloated with all the derivative products.

Cut gems are actually the only thing still making good money for me. People are still gearing up characters so it's not too late to start. But I'd imagine on a very high pop server the problem is you are being undercut consistently unless you are being very vigilant about watching your auctions and always being the lowest price. If you don't keep up you'll never sell.

undercutting, gems sell all the time, problem is if it's like my server there are around 10 guys who literally nolife the AH 12 hours a day and just constantly post gems and undercut for hours and hours.

so the key to getting rich on a high pop server with lots of competition is nolifing it and sitting at the ah all day.

I'm self reliant when it comes to professions (only lacking Spirits on my Leatherworker for leg patches). I barely do any mining (and use all Ghost Iron to craft Lightning Steel and Living Steel) and still I'm swamped with gems at the moment. Been getting a ton of Kyparite from fishing and killing Zandalaris and other world rares. Gems have been lousy to sell on the AH since Wrath on my server.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I too have noticed a sharp decline in gem prices over the past week or two. For example, +160 str was selling well at 120g and has suddenly dropped to 35g. The even stranger thing is that ghost iron ore prices are still climbing.

I have problem selling gems because I got a 24/7 nerd sitting with TSM and never sleeping, never moving away from AH (from dalaran). The worst thing is, he's not a bot
    Last edited by Makarena; 2013-06-11 at 07:31 PM.