Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    The NBA really does need to improve its imaging. With a few exceptions the NFL does a good job.
    NFL has those post-player issues too though, it does hinder them a bit.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    So instead of taking him off to the side and telling him to be more careful of what he says they fine him? There are too many things I want to say about this but can't. I guess when your on the payroll, your freedom of speech is out the window. God forbid we have people playing sports instead of robots.

No idea why people are so upset about this. He said something that was detrimental to the image of the league he represents, and the league fined him for it. Makes perfect sense to me.

Besides, he has millions of dollars, he won't miss his $75k.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    He said something that was detrimental to the image of the league he represents
    That seems unlikely.

I was scared to open this thread thinking somebody would say something racist, so far im wrong

Wait... so him joking around with himself and others, with no ill will whatsoever, is worse for their image than the act of fining him for saying such things? It makes them look more like thin-skinned douches than anyting.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

I'm curious why anyone would think "no homo" is acceptable when you're working representing your employer. I certainly couldn't say it during a presentation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    So instead of taking him off to the side and telling him to be more careful of what he says they fine him? There are too many things I want to say about this but can't. I guess when your on the payroll, your freedom of speech is out the window. God forbid we have people playing sports instead of robots.
    75k is pocket change for someone like him.

It is like having a swear jar in your house. Also it sends a message to others that if he got fined for such a weak comment, what would happen to them if they say something worse.

This is getting pretty ridiculous, so pretty much in today's society you are forced to support gays and not allowed to even make a harmless joke like saying "no homo", whats next? men wont be allowed to step out of their doors without putting on make up? whats with the bs, why are we being forced to support gays?

PS in a couple of years no straight men will be allowed in television, since it will be an insult to gay ppl, im not joking at all, its heading in that direction...lol...

Quote Originally Posted by MaxJr View Post
    This is getting pretty ridiculous, so pretty much in today's society you are forced to support gays and not allowed to even make a harmless joke like saying "no homo", whats next? men wont be allowed to step out of their doors without putting on make up? whats with the bs, why are we being forced to support gays?

PS in a couple of years no straight men will be allowed in television, since it will be an insult to gay ppl, im not joking at all, its heading in that direction...lol...
    I support gay people and think this is dumb that people are offended. I understand the fine since the NBA has to keep up an image, but theyve been on sportscenter talking about how "offensive" his comment was. It's stupid.

I'm against political correctness as much as anyone (way more than most), but in the context of an official NBA press conference, I completely understand and agree with the fine.

In any unofficial sort of context, literally anything that wasn't a NBA event, I would completely disagree with them attempting to fine him. But this took place while he was "on the clock", so to speak.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calelith View Post
    75k is pocket change for someone like him.

It is like having a swear jar in your house. Also it sends a message to others that if he got fined for such a weak comment, what would happen to them if they say something worse.
    But a swear jar is something you willingly put money into. This is your boss taking money out of your pay check. He's not hurting the companies image, he's hurting his image(not really though). And it's not the amount of money, it's the principle of it.

15+ Year Old Account

You do realise that this has nothing to do with gays at all, right?

This guy is an inadvertent role model. Just like all sports people, all celebrities, etc. This guy gets paid by sponsors. Saying stupid comments reflects badly on his team, and on the sponsors. The reasoning behind fines is to make people think for 2 seconds so they dont say even more stupid shit, especially when on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Its not PC. Its the NBA controlling their image. About time they do.
    Wow you're a disgusting human being. I guess people are not entitled to their opinion under the Wells regime.

Infracted: Please do not insult other users
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2013-06-03 at 05:16 AM.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Should of been taken further.

Children look up to athletes. When you have that status in a society, there are expectations placed upon you.

Don't fuck up and play the part like you should=no fines.

I wish more strict standards were placed on politicians and people in higher power.

Hell, even parents/coachs etc.

It seems as though everyone gets away with this kind of BS. (Among others)

Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    You do realise that this has nothing to do with gays at all, right?

This guy is an inadvertent role model. Just like all sports people, all celebrities, etc. This guy gets paid by sponsors. Saying stupid comments reflects badly on his team, and on the sponsors. The reasoning behind fines is to make people think for 2 seconds so they dont say even more stupid shit, especially when on TV.
    zzz not every sports player is paid by sponsors.. you don't even know what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    Wow you're a disgusting human being. I guess people are not entitled to their opinion under the Wells regime.
    You think you just get to say whatever you want to the public while you're at work?

This is no different than someone getting fired from McDonald's because they told a custom they could fuck off.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    zzz not every sports player is paid by sponsors.. you don't even know what you're talking about.

He's a role model among other things.

He represents the communitty in which he grew up in.

He represents the college where he played ball.

He represents Indiana.

Just because an athlete lacks as many sponsors a Kobe or Lebrone doesn't mean that standards imposed on behavior are lower.
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2013-06-03 at 04:27 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    But a swear jar is something you willingly put money into. This is your boss taking money out of your pay check. He's not hurting the companies image, he's hurting his image(not really though). And it's not the amount of money, it's the principle of it.
    And this is where you are wrong.

Sponsors pull their money from teams with mouthy bigots on them, spouting inane and stupid shit on tv that marginalizes a group of folks. Know why? Cuz people don't want to spend money on businesses that partake in inane and stupid viewpoints, like that of supporting this kind of language.

Would it be cool to say, "Sorry but I'm not black!" to something of that nature? No. Why is it okay to say stupid shit like that in regards to gay people? It's not. Step outside of your own little world for once.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blake22tt View Post
    P.C brigade are at it again,this time they are fining a person for basically saying he is straight and not homosexual.
    What if I said "Hey, let's go down to KFC and get some chicken" and then ended the statement with "No black" or "No nigger".

When people say "No homo", they're not just saying that they aren't gay. They're spreading the message that being gay is so bad that you need to constantly avoid being misconstrued as gay by throwing "No homo" at the end of any statement that might even give the slightest impression that you don't like pussy.

---------- Post added 2013-06-03 at 01:32 AM ----------

This is getting pretty ridiculous, so pretty much in today's society you are forced to support gays and not allowed to even make a harmless joke like saying "no homo"
    1) A person is more than able to be against same-sex marriage or same-sex rights without resorting to childish statements or defamatory remarks.
    2) If you think "no homo" is harmless, then would you say the same thing of "no blackie" or "no nigger"?