Windows 7 Install: is a new HDD considered a 2nd computer?

tl;dr, is a new HDD considered a new computer?

Alright so when I enter in my windows 7 CD key it tells me to enter it via phone or an online option during the process (I assume because I re-formated quite a few times during the last 2 1/2 years and redoing the key raises somewhat of a alarm.) However during the process for either they ask a verify question on how many computers has this copy of windows been installed on.

I am getting a new HDD soon, and not sure if this will be considered my 2nd PC that my Win7 cd key is on, or it won't detect a change if its just the HDD I am changing?

Deleted
    Not sure. You can just try though to put 1 or 2 in the box then? I don't believe Microsoft would count it as a second computer if they store the data somewhere, because they would probably store ID's from more fundamental hardware (if they do it like that), like Mobo.

You can install Windows 7 on a computer and uninstall and re-install on another computer as much as you like. Only 1 PC at a time though.

I'm not sure what your question is though? Must you answer a question or create the answer for a question? In the first case, just try, I would say 1 computer. If you must create the answer, I would still say 1. I think Microsoft doesn't count information on HDD as parts of a "different PC" but I'm not sure.

(I believe)

Pretty sure it is tied to the motherboard. I have almost changed everything but and never had an issue, never had to deal with it myself but even if you do install it on another machine and have to call them up they won't decline.

Deleted
    it might be possible that MS thinks that your PC with the updated HDD is a "new" pc ... if you put the old HDD with the same win7 install into another computer it will likely screw up.

if your win7 key is genuine you can activate it with your phone, although the install on the old hdd will become "unactivated" once it has internet access.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not really that important. If you run into the problem where it says the key is in use and you have to call MS, it's an automated system now (has been for a few years). It asks how many times you've used it, you just say none and it will give you the new key lol.

I used the same Vista key on 17 different computers over the lifespan of Vista. Several of them running at the same time, full updates, etc.

As far as what particular hardware dictates a new system, so far my best guess is the mobo, CPU, or combination of both. I've swapped out plenty of hard drives and had to reinstall windows to the same system sans new HDD, and it never told me the key was in use.

Either way, install away. Just don't wipe or trash the old HDD if you're that worried about it. I've actually heard it's possible to 'deactivate' a copy of windows, making the key work again like new, but I have absolutely no idea how, or if they even still do that. Just install it, if it pops up the message, call the number, tell the machine you've never used it before, and it'll give you a new number.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Deleted
    I ran into the activation problem on my old laptop with windows XP where I didn't change any hardware at all. Once you have reactivated a specific license enough times, it will request you to activate it via phone, and not via the internet. I believe the limit is 5, before you need to activate it via phone.

A change in harddrive/CDrom/other peripheral hardware isn't considered a new PC. Usually you need to change the motherboard/CPU for that to be the case.

Also, some windows 7 and all windows 8 OEM licenses are tied to a chip on the motherboard, and use that in part during the activation process.

10+ Year Old Account
    It may, or may not consider it such. Regardless, it doesn't matter. Just phone them up (if it asks you to) and say "It's only installed on one computer". Done deal. I have done this hundreds, if not thousands of times over the years.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by sarym13 View Post
    tl;dr, is a new HDD considered a new computer?

Alright so when I enter in my windows 7 CD key it tells me to enter it via phone or an online option during the process (I assume because I re-formated quite a few times during the last 2 1/2 years and redoing the key raises somewhat of a alarm.) However during the process for either they ask a verify question on how many computers has this copy of windows been installed on.

I am getting a new HDD soon, and not sure if this will be considered my 2nd PC that my Win7 cd key is on, or it won't detect a change if its just the HDD I am changing?
    No, it's not. I just swapped out ssd's and everything was fine. I didn't even have to call them.