Deleted

[Feral] Why is my DPS so poor?

Hey guys, been a resto druid for years now but finally decided it was time to properly 'learn' my off spec.

Been reading all the usual guides, EJ, icy veins, the feral sticky here on MMO.

My DPS on a dummy sits around 60k, and I'm reaching just over 70k on Jin Rohk(raid finder). I'm not trying any fancy DoC rotations yet, just trying to master the basics. Starting the fight by opening with ravage/shred, getting rake up and spending first 5 CP's to get SR up. Pop TF and then get 5 CP's to put rip on the target. Shred as my main CP builder. Thrash when omen procs. FB when I can fit it in and when target is at <25%. Using TF on CD after my initial pop and berserk as well. Got my weak auras set up to track everything and I'm having no real trouble keeping everything rolling.

Here's my armoury link: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Raedeon/simple

Gear is not perfectly optimised I know. It's still an off spec and I'm not the richest guy so not bothered with any enchants. Got the hit/expertise cap and I reforge most haste into mastery.

Anyone got any tips to help me out? I feel like I should be able to go higher than I am.

Thanks

Lacking a Meta gem and enchants is hurting you quite a bit.

Also following Icy Veins opener using Ravage is just a bad idea. It costs to much and isn't worth the hassle of getting behind while stealthed on a pull. Just open with Rake and proceed from there. Remember if you Shred when there isn't a bleed on the target you just paid 5 extra energy for nothing. I would also suggest that outside of Berserk, or 80+ energy you just use Mangle anyway. The damage difference is minimal and the lower energy cost will allow for faster combo points and more timely finishers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Without looking at logs, you seem to have the rotation down pretty well.

It is mainly a gear issue as getting a better weapon will increase your damage quite a bit. It also helps to enchant everything.

For Jin also remember you want to pop Berserk *in* the first pool of water not right off the bat. You can use TF on the pull after you've dumped energy it will be up for the pool that forms.

Ditch the stuff of nightmares, its a tanking trinket. Also Put Agi/mastry gems in your chest, you're missing out on a nice socket bonus. If you don't want to enchant your gear at *least* upgrade what you have it's 100% free.

EJ is a nice resource but they are being the times when it comes to Feral a bit. In Pve you just don't 'ravage' anymore it's not enough of a DPS gain to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Raedeon View Post
    Hey guys, been a resto druid for years now but finally decided it was time to properly 'learn' my off spec.

Been reading all the usual guides, EJ, icy veins, the feral sticky here on MMO.

My DPS on a dummy sits around 60k, and I'm reaching just over 70k on Jin Rohk(raid finder). I'm not trying any fancy DoC rotations yet, just trying to master the basics. Starting the fight by opening with ravage/shred, getting rake up and spending first 5 CP's to get SR up. Pop TF and then get 5 CP's to put rip on the target. Shred as my main CP builder. Thrash when omen procs. FB when I can fit it in and when target is at <25%. Using TF on CD after my initial pop and berserk as well. Got my weak auras set up to track everything and I'm having no real trouble keeping everything rolling.

Here's my armoury link: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Raedeon/simple

Gear is not perfectly optimised I know. It's still an off spec and I'm not the richest guy so not bothered with any enchants. Got the hit/expertise cap and I reforge most haste into mastery.

Anyone got any tips to help me out? I feel like I should be able to go higher than I am.

Thanks
    ur opening is shit,
    u get SR up first then u apply rake and 5cp rip
    SR should always be up before u apply bleeds

Deleted
    Lacking a Meta gem and enchants is hurting you quite a bit.

Also following Icy Veins opener using Ravage is just a bad idea. It costs to much and isn't worth the hassle of getting behind while stealthed on a pull. Just open with Rake and proceed from there. Remember if you Shred when there isn't a bleed on the target you just paid 5 extra energy for nothing. I would also suggest that outside of Berserk, or 80+ energy you just use Mangle anyway. The damage difference is minimal and the lower energy cost will allow for faster combo points and more timely finishers.
    Thanks man, felt like I was having trouble generating CP's before but SOTF helped that somewhat, this can only help too.

Without looking at logs, you seem to have the rotation down pretty well.

It is mainly a gear issue as getting a better weapon will increase your damage quite a bit. It also helps to enchant everything.
    Guess I'm under estimating how much my gear is affecting me, well I'm working on it! Begrudge spending money on enchants for low ilvl gear ill no doubt replace next week haha

For Jin also remember you want to pop Berserk *in* the first pool of water not right off the bat. You can use TF on the pull after you've dumped energy it will be up for the pool that forms.

Ditch the stuff of nightmares, its a tanking trinket. Also Put Agi/mastry gems in your chest, you're missing out on a nice socket bonus. If you don't want to enchant your gear at *least* upgrade what you have it's 100% free.

EJ is a nice resource but they are being the times when it comes to Feral a bit. In Pve you just don't 'ravage' anymore it's not enough of a DPS gain to worry about.
    Yeah that trinket needs to go, was there from when I actually had a tanking off spec. Guess ill have to bite the bullet and enchant soon, just wanna get out of 463/476 gear before I do. Upgrading is free? Last time I checked it cost 250 VP, which I don't really have spare just now :P

u get SR up first then u apply rake and 5cp rip
    SR should always be up before u apply bleeds
    I figure if I'm generating 5 CP's I might as well throw a rake on there to get some bleed damage on anyway. By the time I have 5 CP savage roar ill be renewing it anyway to reach 5CP rip.

You need to enchant your gear, for one. If you want to wait for better drops, that's fine, but even if it is your offspec, it is seriously hurting your main spec as well not having enchants on. Get Windsong and track the mastery buff, use your cheap LW Agi enchants for the bracers and legs, Blurred Speed, and put at least a green Tiger Fang Inscription on the shoulder.

It's best to always use Rip with Tiger's Fury active, even though it falls off for a few seconds. It's counterintuitive, but without higher Haste levels, you don't generate enough CP to support both keeping it up 100% and refreshing SR with 5 CP.

Right - as others have said, enchant your gear. Your weapon is also holding you back big time. Also, the one enchant you do have on your bracers should be 500 agility, not 750 stamina. As for your opening: Open with Savage Roar, Faerie Fire, rake, mangle (until five combo points), Tiger's Fury+Berserk, Rip. Then use shred for combo points, and keep savage roar and rip up. That's not a perfect opening, but it'll do. Big suggestion would be to use two addons called Ovale + Neriens script. That'll teach you how to play feral.

You don't need to build up 5 point roars immediately, just one or two to buy time to get your bleeds up then you can get higher point ones after. Your first priority in an opener is to get your bleeds up asap, building up 10 cp before you even rip when you could get that rip in 6 (5 if you're using the sr glyph) is really slowing you down.
    Last edited by Kojo; 2013-06-04 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raedeon View Post
    Upgrading is free? Last time I checked it cost 250 VP, which I don't really have spare just now :P
    Free as in there is no gold cost, only time. At this point in the tier you really shouldn't need the VP items from the vender. You also have a lot of 463 items, upgrade them with JP, it really has no other value in the current tier.

Also you *always* start the pull by using the 0 CP SR. It will be up long enough to get Rip up. You're loosing 40% damage otherwise.

Idea Opener for Non DoC:
    Prepot-> SR->FF-> Rake> Shred (Till under 35 energy)-> TF->Berserk-> Rip @5 CP-> Refresh SR

Quote Originally Posted by FeralSynapse View Post
    Free as in there is no gold cost, only time. At this point in the tier you really shouldn't need the VP items from the vender. You also have a lot of 463 items, upgrade them with JP, it really has no other value in the current tier.
    JP gear is ilvl 458. If he's sitting in 463's, he either needs to blow the VP on 489+ or hope for lucky drops in LFR. There's also crafted stuff if you're lucky/don't mind dropping the gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearshield View Post
    JP gear is ilvl 458. If he's sitting in 463's, he either needs to blow the VP on 489+ or hope for lucky drops in LFR. There's also crafted stuff if you're lucky/don't mind dropping the gold.
    But all JP gear can be upgraded through the Item Upgrade person - giving a small ilvl boost since there are no other useful place to burn justice points.

There's no reason to bother with JP items or upgrading items with JP. It's much better to farm JP, convert it to honor, and buy 476 PvP pieces.

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

Getting a better weapon should net you a drastic increase in DPS.

Deleted
    Thanks for Wal the tips guys, exactly what I was hoping for. Got a lot of stuff to go try out, and wish me luck in LFR come reset

Also, even without DoC, you still get Predatory Swiftness procs and can get a free instant Healing Touch out of it in Cat Form. If you don't take DoC, you can ignore this proc when you don't need it for self-healing (it won't be a DPS loss unless you would energy cap), but if you do take DoC, you should be using it after every finisher and reapplying Rake. Add in a Nature's Swiftness + Healing Touch once a minute before your Rip/FB, and that's pretty much all there is to DoC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarazet View Post
    but if you do take DoC, you should be using it after every finisher and reapplying Rake. Add in a Nature's Swiftness + Healing Touch once a minute before your Rip/FB, and that's pretty much all there is to DoC.
    You should be using HT with 4-5 cp's and re-applying your bleeds with DoC (preferably Rip/Rake). After finishing with a Rip, you can use HT sooner to get a stronger Rake/Thrash but always wait untill 4-5 cp's are finishing with SR.