Deleted

having client side wireless network issues

I'm using a wireless network with an external USB wireless receiver. The router is on the other side of the house, a floor lower.

Every time I get home, I turn on my computer, and every time I need to remove and replug my wireless receiver, often multiple times because for some reason it does not seat properly. If I don't do that, I end up with a very low grade connection usually. Talking about less than 1Mbps steam download on 2 programs at once, 600 ms ping after 1 LFR, frequent DCs and long browser loading times. My usual speed is 3-4 Mbps steam download on 2 at once and less than 100 ms ping.

How can I fix this??

Also, I'm considering switching to Devolo or some other power-based system because i'd rather have more reliability, but I want to know for sure first that it'll work before I switch to it. Is there a way to figure this out?

although i do not use a wireless connection, i've heard that you shouldnt really use external USB wireless receivers especially if you want a reliable connection

your best bet would be to get an internal wireless card, but which one you should get i am not sure :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Having the router diagonally across the house is the worst case scenario for signal strength because the signal has to travel through multiple walls, even worse if the walls are concrete.

Is the router wireless 'N'? Wireless 'N' technology makes use of the signal bouncing off walls, if the receiver is b/g it will still work but you won't get anywhere near optimum performance unless you upgrade it.

You could also try changing the wireless channel to something else in the router settings.