[Prot] 2-Piece and SotR vs. WoG

Morning all.

I main BrM but am starting to mess around on my prot pally again since I'm not enjoying where prot warrior is at the moment.

I got the LFR 2-piece and noticed the buff to WoG (40% increased block). Should this affect my current priority system of defaulting to SotR for my main holy power dump? I'm thinking that the buff that Bastion provides encourages me to keep WoG as an emergency heal or for use after a large mechanic like Megaera breaths, talon rakes, etc. but I wanted to make sure.

Even if it is, it seems like a pretty decent buff, especially for something like Megaera breathes: IE use a 5-stack WoG right after a breath and not only get all my health back but have a nice 40% increased block.

Thanks for you input!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanimus View Post
    Go tank. You'll live longer.

Can't say the same thing about keeping your hair, though.

SoTR should still be your HP dump. The 2-piece bonus' main objective is to make using WoG less punishing.

That said, if you run into a period of no damage followed by heavy (physical) damage, storing up 5 HP to WoG yourself, CS, and then ShoR isn't a terrible idea.

This makes sense. I wasn't aware the WoG was suck a loss to SotR in the current meta.

I'm still trying to get used to SotR with it's really short 3 second window. The goal on BrM is to keep your main def ability up all the time (Shuffle) and have everything else revolve around that, same to a certain extent with Shield Block for warriors which you can more or less keep up all the time, poor rng not withstanding.

Not too familiar with the other tanking classes, but once you get enough haste, you can realistically have an uptime on ShoR of ~50-60%. Certainly not as high as Shuffle or Shield Block (from what you said), but it's definitely a lot higher than I expected when I started paladin tanking.

Speaking of which, the paladin prot pieces aren't well itemized for us. Contrary to common sense, Dodge and Parry are pretty horrible for paladins. Haste should be your primary stat (for reasons stated above) and you should see a HUGE leap in DPS and off-heals.

Deleted
    A lot of paladins just ignore the set bonuses. Basically, using a WoG is like biting a lemon, and the 2p gives you a free apple bite to compensate when you actually bite the lemon.

You should still use SotR, pretty much always.

Good info, thanks.

Except for instances like rampages or OTing on Durumu while in the beam, etc. I'll more or less ignore the 2-piece then and just let it work it's magic in the background.

It seems I'll also start looking into DPS pieces that are desirable. >.>

Once you get to about 505-510+ ilevel, you should be able to solo-tank a bunch of bosses (Durumu, IQ, Tortos, Twins) which is really fun once you get the hang of how/when to manage your CDs.

Also, check out the two main Prot threads (Help My Tanking, Prot Guide) for a better idea on the haste control build and how to itemize for it (haste, duh).

I have a relatively good grasp on the stats I need to aim for since they are similar-ish to protadins except instead of mastery past haste I am for crit past haste in the case of BrM. Luckily for BrM there's no parry or dodge on my gear I have to avoid (except tier piece gem bonuses).

I'm sure I can be cleaner with my CD usage so I'll definitely dive into that section.

Thanks again Paull et al.