Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Romeo83x View Post
    Obviously you cannot get convicted if the key piece of evidence has only 1/7000 chance of being reliable. The full DNA test on the other hand is like 99,999% accurate.
    Or 1/<More Humans Than Have Ever Existed> chance of duplication.

Unless you have an identical twin, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Kinda hard to keep a suspect with evidence easily thrown out in court.

They could *maybe* use it towards probably cause under the right circumstance, but not much more.
    they dont need to keep them. if they get pulled out of work and arrested for rape or murder because their dna matches they just lost their job/friends/family. innocent till proven guilty only works for actual sentencing not society.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by syn1k View Post
    are you saying the police wont use that "evidence" to go after those 50 people. most likely ruining their lives even if they cant get a conviction.

First:

"Most likely ruining their lives?"

Saying "MOST LIKELY" does not actually make something likely to happen.

Second:

Police don't convict people over nothing but a fingerprint at a crime scene. Why would they suddenly start with DNA? (and ONLY DNA, as you seem to imply they'd rely solely on)
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

they dont need to keep them. if they get pulled out of work and arrested for rape or murder because their dna matches they just lost their job/friends/family. innocent till proven guilty only works for actual sentencing not society.
    Um...the DNA is taken at time of arrest as per this SCOTUS case.

Um...the DNA is taken at time of arrest as per this SCOTUS case.
    for now. in the future who is to say they wont make it mandatory.

I'm not entertaining slippery-slope "I want to conjure a dystopian future" ramblings tonight. Not to mention such an event would have it's own case with its own special ruling.

I'm not entertaining slippery-slope "I want to conjure a dystopian future" ramblings tonight. Not to mention such an event would have it's own case with its own special ruling.
    or it could just all of the sudden get passed like the patriot act. even in the current state, anyone that is arrested for anything(dui, public disturbance, public intoxication, etc) is now a murder suspect.

10+ Year Old Account
    So what if they do? You're fingerprinted as a baby and have no choice in the matter. It's the same thing just not as specific to you as DNA.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    I support this, don't see how it's much different to fingerprinting someone. It's just one way they can prove your identity.

Criminals should be treated like criminals. A minor swab on the cheek is far from invasive when you think of all the benefits of it. From now on, a criminal that has committed a crime will be able to be identified not only by fingerprints, which are easy to wipe away, but by any fragment of DNA they leave at the scene. A hell of a lot more rape cases will be solved in the least, keeping many people from getting raped by repeat offenders.

As far as I'm concerned, everyone should be fingerprinted and DNA identified at birth. That way, no crime goes unpunished by the proper person. For the average non criminal, there's no reason to oppose it, because it wouldn't matter. So what that your DNA and fingerprints are on record? If you're not going to commit a crime, it shouldn't matter. Hell, every teacher in America is fingerprinted in case something happens. Why not the average citizen?

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    So what if they do? You're fingerprinted as a baby and have no choice in the matter. It's the same thing just not as specific to you as DNA.
    baby fingerprints dont go into afis and are hard to compare to adult finger prints they(and footprints) are mostly for id purposes in the hospital to prevent baby mix ups. finger prints are also far more accurate than the quick dna profile. approx 45k people in the us share your dna profile.

the odds of your finger print being in a place you havent been are much smaller than your dna profile. if they used a more exact dna test then you can get that down to almost 100% similar to finger prints and there wouldnt be any problem with mix ups.

i don't see why any honest person would have a problem with this.
    If you don't commit crimes then it does not effect you, if you get arrested for something and they do a mouth swab you don't have anything to worry about unless you have been doing something untoward.
    the UK have been doing this for a while and i believe that after a set amount of years.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hmm. I don't really see it as a problem. A cheekswab is not really that much more invasive than a fingerprint.

Also, I've never been arrested and don't plan to be. Therefore, this issue won't affect me afaik.
    Pokemon Y / Pokemon OR
    Friendcode: 0791-2124-3938 (IGN: Michiel)

Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    i don't see why any honest person would have a problem with this.
    If you don't commit crimes then it does not effect you, if you get arrested for something and they do a mouth swab you don't have anything to worry about unless you have been doing something untoward.
    the UK have been doing this for a while and i believe that after a set amount of years.
    This is the same argument as allowing the police to search your home without a warrant (at least, in the US) - nothing to hide, etc etc.

The "get arrested" part is pretty much negligible. If police wants, they can book you for some dumb ass trumped up charge, swab your cheek and then release you 30 minutes later and there's nothing you can do.

10+ Year Old Account

Good little commentary on the situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    This is the same argument as allowing the police to search your home without a warrant (at least, in the US) - nothing to hide, etc etc.
    You've been proven wrong several times already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or 1/<More Humans Than Have Ever Existed> chance of duplication.

Unless you have an identical twin, of course.
    Have you seen what happens when you run the CODIS database against itself? You get quite a few matches.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters