Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Heroic Durumu Questions (10-Man)

Hello community, we just killed Primordius and Twins (9/13H), so tomorrow we're gonna try one of the last bosses before Lei Shen, Durumu and Dark Animus, we are a 10m guild, so my question is, which one is easier? Our current roster includes:

Tanks: Guardian Druid / Prot Warrior / Blood DK
    Healers: Disc Priest / Holy Paladin / Mistweaver Monk
    DPS: 2x Affli-Destro Locks/ Boomkin / Hunter / Fire Mage / Elemental Shaman / Enhancement Shaman / Fury Warrior / Frost DK

I'm thinking about going with 2 tanks (prot/guardian) and 2 healers (disc/holy), stacking locks and shamans, switching drains after 2 or 3 stacks, what can we do to improve our pre-raid strategy?

One tanking Durumu is possible without a Prot Paladin? Can we do it with just a Holy? How many healers can we take? From what i read, 2 healing it is better, but after 5.3 can we go with 3, (just because of a drain on a healer)? Maybe 2 tanks - 3 healers? Well, any tip or suggestion is really appreciated.

An offtopic question, how difficult is Durumu and Dark animus in 10m compared to 25m?
    #yolo #swag

Deleted
    I wouldn't advice solo tanking without a prot pally.

since you have 2 shamans, 1 for each group to pop grounding totems for each parasite, you only need 2 healers, pally and disc is pretty good for that. Don't go more than 2 healers if you are using 2 tanks though.

Durumu is pretty easy, Dark Animus is 10 times harder than any boss, apart from lei shen.

Thanks for the quick reply sir, i'm sticking with a 2/2 strategy then.

Edit: Parasite should be dispelled inmediately or after 10-15 seconds?
    Last edited by xagonyx; 2013-06-04 at 08:46 AM.
    #yolo #swag

Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post

since you have 2 shamans, 1 for each group to pop grounding totems for each parasite, you only need 2 healers, pally and disc is pretty good for that. Don't go more than 2 healers if you are using 2 tanks though.

Durumu is pretty easy, Dark Animus is 10 times harder than any boss, apart from lei shen.
    We actually used a monk solo tank on our first kill. Other than keg smash 1 shotting people when healers sissied out and dispelled debuff early we had no problems. We usually don't dispel before sub 7 seconds left. Just need the holy paly to do the bop's. you can 3 healer 1 tank easily. We 1 tanked 2 healed with a monk on our first kill but with dps now. 3 heal 1 tank should still lead to only 2 spectrums unless you really fuck up the drains. Remember the biggest part of the fight is setting up a drain rotation with immunities. Its the difference between having to do 400mil damage and 600 mil damage. Our first kill was at the time the 2nd lowest damage done to the boss. So just make sure that people know there rotation.

Boomkin AM DK AM hunter deterrence Warlocks using there 100% damage prevention for 6 seconds also works to cause 0 healing. Ice block does not work.

edit didn't pay attention to your tank lineup I feel sry for your guild not having either of the top 2 tanks... It maybe 1 tankable with a bear. but dk/warrior probably not.
    Last edited by Moshots; 2013-06-04 at 09:21 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xagonyx View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply sir, i'm sticking with a 2/2 strategy then.

Edit: Parasite should be dispelled inmediately or after 10-15 seconds?
    You have 2 shammys, you will never have to dispell the debuff, because you won't ever get the debuff if your shamans do it right.

Have one shaman in each group, when there's 1-2 sec left on the parasite timer, they pop grounding totem. Warriors can also mass spell reflect it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even if the parasites go out its a nonissue. They can be passively cleaved down and you won't even notice them unless someone decides to kill someone with a single target nuke.

Quote Originally Posted by momirmaster View Post

edit didn't pay attention to your tank lineup I feel sry for your guild not having either of the top 2 tanks... It maybe 1 tankable with a bear. but dk/warrior probably not.
    We one tanked it with a DK with only a H Pally with Clemency, wasn't an issue. He does 11 Hard Stares before every maze, so we just HoP'd at 5 or 6 stacks and then it would always fall off during the maze. With the item upgrades you can easily kill it in ~6 minutes with 1 tank/2 heals.

As for the parasites the shaman covers one group and then if a debuff goes out our healers usually just heal through it or we chain defensive CDs.

Durumu should be cake with an Ele shaman as well. I pretty much solo the ice walls in my 10m

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adurp View Post
    Durumu should be cake with an Ele shaman as well. I pretty much solo the ice walls in my 10m

Indeed. 2x Locks, Ele Shaman. It should be like the walls were never there to begin with.

On another note its fun to be destroying walls as demo then on the final one, one perfect combustion from a mage completely negates the gap between you.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd always one tank and two heal this boss. You just need one paladin, any tank can tank him with relative success.

The only remotely dangerous part of this fight is spectrum and life drain at the same time. With one tank and two healing (with current DPS) you will kill the boss before the third spectrum phase, unless of course you massively mess up the life drain.

Our first kill we optimized damage as much as we possibly could so we could beat the third spectrum phase. So we sat our holy paladin and I came in on my alt disc priest. This was before the 5.3 patch so DPS has obviously gone up a lot. Anyways even before the changes there is hardly anything to heal, if badly placed life drains didn't cause problems you could probably solo heal this encounter no problem. I literally atonement the entire encounter except during life drains and the second spectrum phase. (Obviously I'm not awful and I do use other abilities, I'm just trying to illustrate how little damage there is).

Save all raid CDs for spectrum phases.

You can cheese the new debuff with grounding totems but you would need two shaman to completely nullify it. The timer isn't always 100% exact and range issues during a spectrum phase can leave people outside of the the totems range. We only have one shaman so we had to deal with a good amount of them. Monks can diffuse magic the debuff (and I think it does damage) and it going on the tank means more vengeance, which is great. Basically just cycle through single target defensive CDs (not immunities, save those for life drains) and never dispel it. It only really does dangerous damage in the last 5 or so seconds, and dispelling it at that point won't cause you problems.

Don't put too much emphasis on the ice walls. They are a really easy mechanic and two strong AoE DPS can pretty much destroy them in time. Our elemental shaman pretty much solos them. Disc priest with cascade and mind sear spam (there is no tank damage before a disintegration beam ice wall) does pretty good damage on them as well.

Like someone mentioned it's all about life drains being handled correctly. If unmitigated life drains at 4x+ stacks start ticking you're going to make the encounter a lot longer than it should be. On one of our farm kills tonight nobody helped our hunter when he had deterrence up and he got up to a seven stack. Boss went up a good 10-15% during that life drain phase.

Third spectrum phase really hurts, try and avoid it if you can.

That's all I can really think of. Make the spectrum phases go as quickly as possible and make sure the life drains that happen during a spectrum are handled decently. Don't be afraid to pop every single raid CD you have during that portion of the fight, it's the trickiest part. The encounter is honestly about mastering normal mode as the added heroic mechanics don't change things that drastically.
    Last edited by Tojara; 2013-06-05 at 06:03 AM.

Solo tanking is actually easy with a guardian druid, even with only 1 pally in your group (Its what we are doing and arent wiping to tanks deaths) We have 1tank-2heal and 1 ret pally for BoPs. Try stacking ranged for that fight and get you Enh for melee, cause Grouding totem absorbs the buff if you stack before the debuff is about to get casted. Tell your shamans to go Astral Shift to be able to take life drain for 6 seconds (pop AS at the same time as Sham rage for a nice 70% Dmg reduction)

Your Ele should not take the first drain in your drain rotation, since you need his dmg on walls.

How do you deal with the amber fogs bugging out and wiping the raid without being attackable?
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

We typically solo tank with a prot paladin. ON top of that we can cheese the debuff with ret pally + holy pally combo. Hand of purity gets put on the target at 18, and again at 12, and then we dispel at 6. This normally leaves us with 2-3 adds and the "dangerous" part of the debuff is negated. The adds just get cleaved down or singled targeted with smite spam.

As for the amber fogs, the yellow beam should be positioning themselves so that one doesn't spawn. However, if one does spawn its often a great time for a raid CD (devo) and the dps must burst it down immediately before the beam moves off of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    How do you deal with the amber fogs bugging out and wiping the raid without being attackable?
    Get mad, die, and then do it again.

Last night on our heroic kill, we had Durumu almost dead, and the light phase happened. We got a yellow and blue beam, but we never did get a red one. Luckily we were able to kill him before the 80 seconds.

We've also had the blue add just appear halfway through the light phase even though the blue beam never moved.

Yay bugs!

Thanks for all the information guys, it really helped us, we killed it in like 50 tries, the only hard part of the fight is learning how to correctly handle the drain ability.
    #yolo #swag

Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post

Other tanks can solo tank Heroic Durumu as well

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=5271&e=5652

there's a link to our blood dk solo tanking (albeit he died at 40m hp left as the Death beam phase started due to getting knocked of the platform). So pally tanks make it easier but other tanks are certainly viable and I would recommend solo tanking it if you have a really good tank, makes it easy to kill him in the 2nd Death beam phase. Oh and ele shaman dmg on the walls is simply lol....if you have one bring him/her.

Quote Originally Posted by polo150 View Post
    Tell your shamans to go Astral Shift to be able to take life drain for 6 seconds (pop AS at the same time as Sham rage for a nice 70% Dmg reduction)
    No, no, no, no, no. Don't spread misinformation around.
    Defensive CDS stack multiplicatively.
    A 40% + a 30% damage reduction (such as this case) provides a total damage reduction of

dr = 1 - (1 - 0.40) * (1 - 0.30) = 0.58 = 58%

If they stacked additively you could see tanks taking no damage at all sometimes, which just isn't the case.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    We whine,cry a bit and sometimes both. Both tactics help. Unless you have it happen 4 times in a row. Then we just go sad

In the end you figure its a set position a bit to the right of the entrance and move the beam to the left. Then you hope for the best.

does durumu still heal if we go thru immunities i.e. anti magic shell, cloak, deterence etc? I know damage reduction and mortal strike reduces the healing he receives but could never find out if immunities stops durumu from healing...

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    You can cheese the new debuff with grounding totems but you would need two shaman to completely nullify it. The timer isn't always 100% exact and range issues during a spectrum phase can leave people outside of the the totems range. We only have one shaman so we had to deal with a good amount of them. Monks can diffuse magic the debuff (and I think it does damage) and it going on the tank means more vengeance, which is great. Basically just cycle through single target defensive CDs (not immunities, save those for life drains) and never dispel it. It only really does dangerous damage in the last 5 or so seconds, and dispelling it at that point won't cause you problems.
    Does anyone know the other classes that can do the same thing to the debuff with their abilities? Do Deterrence, Ice Block, Invis, or AMS do the same thing as Diffuse Magic?