Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by Apathy - View Post
    You know as much as I fucking hate this game I still know the entire history of it HE does like the humans hes the ONLY and single reason why the sanctuary world exist he voted no in terms of exterminating them. He violates the council rules when he was a angel still even though the high heavens have some retarded law saying DO NOT INTERFERE with the mortals I AM IMPERIUS I am a DICK what? Sorry anyway hes always cared for them and if it wasn't for the guy the entire once more world would of been completely wiped out by the angels.

    You know how he was like before era? He hated humans the same as Imperius like he was racist as much as he was / close friends with him but when he saw this ''mortal/Nephilim'' sacrifice himself in addition the power they have he does his best to save them after that incident that was between if I remember correctly the sin war.

    Hell he fucking turned mortal what the fuck for the sake of the them

    God dammit that pissed me off
    After that diarrhea of a plot called SC2: HOTS, my advice is expect even worse storytelling to come from Blizz.

    Tyrael downgrading to a mortal accomplishes nothing, and I also don't know they feel the need to make the player character into some destiny guided universe saviour called Nephalem either. Can't we just be kicking major demon butt because we are simply badass?

  2. #82
    The Unstoppable Force N-aix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Dota 2 24/7 / Dark Souls II
    Posts
    21,557
    Quote Originally Posted by freeforumuser View Post
    After that diarrhea of a plot called SC2: HOTS, my advice is expect even worse storytelling to come from Blizz.

    Tyrael downgrading to a mortal accomplishes nothing, and I also don't know they feel the need to make the player character into some destiny guided universe saviour called Nephalem either. Can't we just be kicking major demon butt because we are simply badass?
    No we got to do some M. Night Shyamalan shit right here.

  3. #83
    Herald of the Titans Ravenblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Germany - Thuringia
    Posts
    2,703
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    Any story that is played beyond the first time around is trivial at best.

    Care to read any best seller book for 4 times in row without a pause?

    Nope, your argument is invalid for a dungeon game, because it is typically set up like that.

    Like I said: you don't play the latest Dungeons and Dragons boardgames for their stories: you do it to survive the dungeon and get the end boss (cfr D3 hardcore modes).

    It is simply the art of this specific game design.

    The one thing you can hold against Blizzard is that they overdid the voice acting and story telling. Blame that on the bad ideas Bioware promoted with SWTOR. Video games are ALL about game play, not listening to dumb NPC's.

    A few more randomness would have been great, BUT people forget that wondering Elites makes up for the changing challenges, as D2 did not even have wondering packs of Elites.


    ---- tldr-----

    But story is meaningless in dungeon crawlers, be that boardgames, miniatures or video games.

    You could set up the background info with 5 lines of texte really.
    Well, I am not sure whether I would agree.

    From top to bottom it was Blizzard's decision to add a deep story to it and that's probably been something which influenced the 2008's reboot heavily. So blaming Bioware for what Blizzard decided to do on their own is pretty much historically incorrect not that it would be correct otherwise since Blizzard has no need to look elsewhere. In Diablo 1 and 2 the stories were part of the narratives without forcing the player to press Escape to continue every time someone freaked out and wishing they would finally all shut up and go away. So what caused the change? Well, Mr.Metzen's takeover as Blizzard's senior storywriter and his seemingly constant need to inflate the meaning of "epic". In Mr.Metzen's sense everything has to be an epic story moment to be lived through from a player's perspective which usually means everything is as bland yet as absurdly overscaled to XXL format and as contrived as possible which excludes any remote assumption that it were striving for SW:TOR's storytelling ideals.

    I disagree that meaningless is useless in videogames, it depends on the type of game, if your characters or actions have an impact on the story then story makes sense but otherwise you better leave it in the background. You should never make the story being the requirement to play a game where story is not at least one of the reasons why you are playing it.

    PS: I know this has been written two weeks ago but I thought I'd add my opinion to it.
    Last edited by Ravenblade; 2013-07-12 at 02:45 PM.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) @ Sylvanas EU (retired) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

    My Deus Ex:HR soundtrack mixes
    [FLAC version (3.5 GB)]

  4. #84

  5. #85
    You forgot about the worst part of the story...

    So it gets revealed that Diablo has "abosrbed" all of the powers of all the other great evils and that he is now the Prime Evil... and then he dies like 30 gameplay minutes later.

  6. #86
    The Unstoppable Force N-aix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Dota 2 24/7 / Dark Souls II
    Posts
    21,557
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronk333 View Post
    You forgot about the worst part of the story...

    So it gets revealed that Diablo has "abosrbed" all of the powers of all the other great evils and that he is now the Prime Evil... and then he dies like 30 gameplay minutes later.
    Shit story yes but the power of a Half demon and Half angel dominates the prime evil completely ( apparently ) oh and who the fuck had the bright idea to toss diablo with the black soulstone in it.

    GOOD JOB

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    Cain should have died a heroic death either destroying the soul stone or saving Leah's soul from damnation, not to some forgettable middle-management minion.
    I can't agree more.
    I wish they would have done it differently, and having Cain sacrifice himself in a very climactic way to save Leah's soul in the end, and perhaps hinting at her return in one form or another, would have been amazing.

    Damn, so much potential lost. I'm hoping they'll explore the saving of Leah's soul with the help of Cain from "beyond" :P.
    Last edited by Avellon; 2013-07-23 at 12:49 PM.

  8. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    Also, a "mortal" is not a species, like fish, cat, human, cow, etc.
    Also, a "fish" is not a species, it's a common name for most of the creatures living in the sea. So, funny that you start by mentioning fish as a specie
    Last edited by theburned; 2013-07-24 at 10:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyeranth View Post
    Why dont we just have thrall and Malfurion whip it out and someone can measure and then we can be done with it.

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    You have still failed to explain how it is possible that a angel turns into an angel+demon (a human), or how an angel turns into a form that looks exactly like an angel+demon (a human).
    Cause Tyrael never turned into a human? He just has fallen to a mortal state. He's very far from being a human/nephalem.

    You see him as a human and assumes he was human - but in fact he isn't and you discover it at the end of act 1. He is simply a fallen angel who decided to abandon his status for helping the nephalem.

    Also, it's a different kind of fall that happened to Izual - he has been corrupted and turned into a demon.

    EDIT: i'm not defending the story by the way, i agree it is way too simplistic and a let down at the end. I just hope the expansions will bring back up the thing in a cool way.

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Cause Tyrael never turned into a human? He just has fallen to a mortal state. He's very far from being a human/nephalem.

    You see him as a human and assumes he was human - but in fact he isn't and you discover it at the end of act 1. He is simply a fallen angel who decided to abandon his status for helping the nephalem.

    Also, it's a different kind of fall that happened to Izual - he has been corrupted and turned into a demon.

    EDIT: i'm not defending the story by the way, i agree it is way too simplistic and a let down at the end. I just hope the expansions will bring back up the thing in a cool way.
    Seriously, the complete Diablo range never had a story anyway.

    Metzen tried to bring at least something to the table, because these guys at Blizzard North simply made a hack and slash with 5 lines of text to put on the box to sell Diablo 1.

    See their other attempts after they left Blizzard 10 years ago.

    As such Diablo will ALWAYS lack the deeper story telling of SC and Warcraft games.

    Now if you absolutely want to invest in this "story", I have one advice: stop reading something into it and simply smash Elites and mobs and bosses, that's it.

    The formula in itself, redoing content 3 or 4 times in a row already precludes ANY story. Not even Dickens or the big S. could create something you reread 4 times in a row.

    Enjoy survival mode in HC and play the game like you would play a Dungeon and Dragon boardgame like Castle Ravenloft.

    "The Count invites you to his castle and wants YOU as his dinner"

    One line: problem solved.

  11. #91
    But see that's part of the problem BenBos, they tried really pushing the story this time around unlike the previous games. If they hadn't done that then the story would have been just as much an after thought to the players as it would have been to the devs like it was in the previous Diablos.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-860 @2.8GHz | Radeon HD 7770 | 8GB DDR3-1333MHz | Corsair CX 430W |

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    But see that's part of the problem BenBos, they tried really pushing the story this time around unlike the previous games. If they hadn't done that then the story would have been just as much an after thought to the players as it would have been to the devs like it was in the previous Diablos.
    I think people are even bothering because they are not satisfied with the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyeranth View Post
    Why dont we just have thrall and Malfurion whip it out and someone can measure and then we can be done with it.

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Cause Tyrael never turned into a human? He just has fallen to a mortal state. He's very far from being a human/nephalem.

    You see him as a human and assumes he was human - but in fact he isn't and you discover it at the end of act 1. He is simply a fallen angel who decided to abandon his status for helping the nephalem.

    Also, it's a different kind of fall that happened to Izual - he has been corrupted and turned into a demon.

    EDIT: i'm not defending the story by the way, i agree it is way too simplistic and a let down at the end. I just hope the expansions will bring back up the thing in a cool way.
    I just want to point out that whilst you quoted my post, the part you quoted was actually a mis-formated quote from another user (I have now edited my post).

  14. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    I just want to point out that whilst you quoted my post, the part you quoted was actually a mis-formated quote from another user (I have now edited my post).
    Ok no problem - i know i have been a little late in the discussion.

  15. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    Any story that is played beyond the first time around is trivial at best.

    Care to read any best seller book for 4 times in row without a pause?

    Nope, your argument is invalid for a dungeon game, because it is typically set up like that.

    Like I said: you don't play the latest Dungeons and Dragons boardgames for their stories: you do it to survive the dungeon and get the end boss (cfr D3 hardcore modes).

    It is simply the art of this specific game design.

    The one thing you can hold against Blizzard is that they overdid the voice acting and story telling. Blame that on the bad ideas Bioware promoted with SWTOR. Video games are ALL about game play, not listening to dumb NPC's.

    A few more randomness would have been great, BUT people forget that wondering Elites makes up for the changing challenges, as D2 did not even have wondering packs of Elites.


    ---- tldr-----

    But story is meaningless in dungeon crawlers, be that boardgames, miniatures or video games.

    You could set up the background info with 5 lines of texte really.
    Who plays Diablo 3 back-to-back 4 times in a row? The game-aholics?

    I think most of us take breaks between reading books and gaming.

    But if their is one thing I can tell you, I can enjoy reading the same book 12 times a year, spread a month apart. Digesting new information I skipped over or didn't understand the previous time.

    But Diablo 3 has a story I want to delete and skip every chance I get.

    ////////////
    Also some people like stories, typically people who make stories or design them for games, books or movies. Because they can appreciate other's work other than their own and get new ideas.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •