10+ Year Old Account

Gaze vs Relic (2H frost)

I couldn't find a recent topic (the only one was over a month old) about these trinkets:

Gaze of the Twins vs
    Relic-of-Xuen, upgraded to 484.

I've had the relic since the first days they were available but I'm not entirely sold on replacing it with the trinket I just got from our Consort kill last night. I also don't think that Gaze is better than my other trinket, raid finder Fabled Feather of Ji-kun, also upgraded to 510.

Any suggestions? The crit bonus doesn't seem amazing compared to the static strength bonus but it is also a lot of crit. I'm not sure when it starts to outweigh the str proc of Relic, which is now about 50 item levels behind and around 500 strength less.

Get the VP trinket instead of both of them?

Deleted
    After a few minutes of reading on a few pages I think the Gaze would be better if you crit alot, according to the comment section of the page you link it "Procs on critical harmful abilities and spells, periodic spell, and melee/ranged abilities and swings" and then if I check the WoWhead page someone mentioned that if you're lucky you can get the Gaze to refresh and have all three stacks active for an extra 20 seconds, not sure how much crit 2868 converts into but seeing as how with all three stacks it's going to reach 8604 crit rating i'd say that makes it instantly amazing.

By researching a few minutes i'd instantly say Gaze of the Twins, the Relic has a large amount of strength less passively and the procs on Gaze seem to be alot better.
    That said i've recently woke up so probably thinking about it all wrong and i've only just got back into DKs so not sure if frost crits half as much as it used to.

Basically, I think personally that the Twins would be the way to go, and if you have both, can test them out in a raid environment anyway and see which gives you better results.

Suggested ranking: HFeather > Feather > HRage > LFRFeather > HSpark > Shadopan > Rage > HGaze > Spark > HDMV2 > HLSFO2 > HLSFO > HDMV > Gaze > LFRSpark > Relic2 > LFRRage > Relic > LFRGaze
    http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t132171-...er_still_here/

Keep in mind those rankings were done at the 522 ilevel, with about 10.5k haste. As you get more haste, rppm trinkets like gaze become better, and if you have less, they are worse. Relic on the other hand remains stagnant and doesn't scale at all (at least, doesn't scale further than increasing stat values).
    And because combo's matter:

148479 0.6% LFRFeather/Relic
    149078 0.6% LFRFeather/Relic2
    150041 0.6% Gaze/LFRFeather
    151060 0.6% Shadopan/LFRFeather

So you'd gain ABOUT 1k by swapping over to gaze, 1500 if you upgrade gaze 2/2, but you would gain 2k if you grabbed the shadopan VP trinket instead, and about 2700 if you upgraded that 2/2.

Best of luck!
    <Midwinter> - 14/14 HM -25m - LF exceptional raiders
    http://www.mwguild.net/
    DK Theorycrafting/Game Dev Blog
    DK Gear/log reviews/audits

well you need to update something then cause it says 8.5k haste :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I still have 8.5k haste 'cause I was unholy until switching to frost like...last week. I'm still working on getting better haste-oriented gear.

So for now, keep Gaze over Relic and work on squeezing more haste out of my gear. Got it. I won't have enough VP to get the Shado-Pan trinket for a few weeks (leaving town this week for two weeks) so...yeah that might take some time.

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    well you need to update something then cause it says 8.5k haste :P
    Sorry, it's 8.5k haste before trinkets, 10.5k I think I pulled from just checking one of the profiles with a haste trinket and some reforges.
    <Midwinter> - 14/14 HM -25m - LF exceptional raiders
    http://www.mwguild.net/
    DK Theorycrafting/Game Dev Blog
    DK Gear/log reviews/audits