Poll: The money

Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Deleted

If you recieve more money back at the checkout counter

If you were grocerie shopping and you recieved more money back than you should have, would you go back and return it or would you keep it?
    I myself would keep it if it's a small amount of money but if it was a larger amount i would have probably returned it.

what about you?

Deleted
    I'd return it or point out that they gave me too much back before I take it. Mostly I'm buying stuff on the card though.

10+ Year Old Account
    How much cash we talking?

$5-20, keep it, as no one will really miss that small amount.

Like $100+ or more, I'd return it. I don't want someone losing a job over a few bucks I really don't need.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post

Like $100+ or more, I'd return it. I don't want someone losing a job over a few bucks I really don't need.
    Pretty much this. A couple of bucks and i wont care, but if it is a major amount it should be returned.

Deleted
    I'd gladly take it and thank life for it's random little gifts.
    It'll be like..up to 1€ at best anyways, so it's not like it's a big deal or I'm suddenly rich.

Depends how well I knew the people, did I like them, etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    Pretty much this. A couple of bucks and i wont care, but if it is a major amount it should be returned.
    How would anyone accidentally give you a really large amount like +100 anything, except yen? Seems really unrealistically to me. ^.^

Quote Originally Posted by Krolikn View Post
    Depends how well I knew the people, did I like them, etc.
    I said depends on my mood but this is very important too. I've actually had a cashier that was a complete bitch give me change for a 50 when I used a 20. I didn't say a word.

Deleted

How much cash is kind of hard as what is a lot is rather diffrent per person. Your view on it is a good one though and i pretty much feel the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Djocontinuity View Post
    How would anyone accidentally give you a really large amount like +100 anything, except yen? Seems really unrealistically to me. ^.^
    Well if you were to do grocerie shopping and buy a lot of products people might get confused, or just buy something really expensive and happen to pay with cash somehow. Then there is stress if it's a busy day, It isn't so hard to get confused.

would keep it, have kept it, haven't cared one iota.

doesn't matter if it's $1, or $1000.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Having worked in retail. People can get fired for that small amount still.

Not blaming you for anything it's still the tenders mistake. But don't think since it's a little amount no one will care.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can't remember the last time I went to a store with a manual cash registrer. Everything is digital, from where you put in the coins to where the cashier puts the bills :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    Having worked in retail. People can get fired for that small amount still.

Not blaming you for anything it's still the tenders mistake. But don't think since it's a little amount no one will care.
    If that's the case than maybe I did them a favor by getting them canned. A company firing a person over $10 missing from the till one time must not respect their employees very much.
    Last edited by Fahrenheit; 2013-06-04 at 05:52 PM.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

I once got what is equal to 180 dollars too much back when buying milk at a groccery store. I payed with a 1000 DKR (around 180 dollars) bill, and when he gave me cash back, he accidently gave me back the same bill, including the change that i should have. I of course returned it.

I would return it; because the economy is damaged any time money changes hands without an equal value of goods or services being returned.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    I once got what is equal to 180 dollars too much back when buying milk at a groccery store. I payed with a 1000 DKR (around 180 dollars) bill, and when he gave me cash back, he accidently gave me back the same bill, including the change that i should have. I of course returned it.
    Ok, that's a pretty hilarious case. ^^
    I guess if it would be such a large amount I'd probably return it.
    Or more likely fail at that, because I'd be taken by surprise and I tend to not work correctly in such cases. xD

---------- Post added 2013-06-04 at 05:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I would return it; because the economy is damaged any time money changes hands without an equal value of goods or services being returned.
    But the more money you got can be spend on things you wouldn't have spent it on else.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't even count the money with small purchases so it would probably end up going home with me. I mostly use debit for everything though anyways.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never pay in cash so this wouldn't happen to me, but in theory if it happened and I noticed - I would return it even if it was a small amount. When I worked retail, you could be written for any difference more than four cents (in reality my managers only did it if it was more than a dollar but .04 was company policy), and were automatically fired if you had more than three write ups. Even a small mistake could still be terrible for the cashier.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

But the more money you got can be spend on things you wouldn't have spent it on else.
    The business is still out the money I shouldn't have received. Less money to pay their suppliers, less money to pay their employees. Less money for the owners to pay themselves to spend on valuable goods and services. And sure, it might be 1 less valuable swap out of millions, but that's still a 1/1000000th devaluation in the overall economy. If 1 million people don't give back that extra dollar, that dollar is worth nothing in the long run anyways. So if I at least try to break the cycle of dishonesty the overall benefit could actually be larger in the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    More than 10 bucks? Take it back man, or you will be the reason a person loses their job. . .that would make you worse than a politician. . . and no one likes a politician.