How do you know if your build is working?

Hello

So I am currently building my own PC for the very first time. However due to budget I havent gotten around to buy myself a OS (or CPU) yet. Budget went waaaay over on what I expected from the start so Ill have to buy a CPU once I start playing games that are demanding and OS this payday.

Tho Ive built my computer so far and first (When I didnt have a screen yet.. hooked it up to my TV) it got stuck in a reset loop.

However, once I got my computer it started up and didnt loop. But I got this msg http://digifixit.co.uk/tutorials/wp-...oot-device.jpg

Does this mean that my computer is currently "ok" or not? SUppose it might say that due to no OS.

I am abit worried due to one pin at the motherboard got bent and I think I fixed it myself... if you guys think its "ok" I wont send it for repair.

Otherwise ID like to send it because Im going on a vacation for a week and would be nice to have the mobo rdy once I get home because thats when I can buy a OS also.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm confused. How did you get that message with no CPU?

That message just indicates that it needs something to boot from... However getting there doesn't guarantee everything is fine. I have no way to tell if your board is "OK" or not, though. Returning it if it doesn't have a problem, they may charge you.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but are you trying to boot your computer without a CPU?
    Quote Originally Posted by Karragon View Post
    I'd like WoW to be a single player game

Sorry.. it's GPU not CPU thats lacking.

Yeah they will charge me to take a look at the mobo, thats why I want to make sure its ok before i return it.
    MIght be to long tho so maybe I should fix linux or something to check it out first. So there is no way off telling without getting a os?

10+ Year Old Account
    I suppose you could download Windows 7 here, and just not activate it (since you have no key) to make sure the install goes correctly, and some diagnostic software could be run.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Either use Windows 7 without activation, or get a Linux Live Disk and boot from there.