Deleted

Will they implement Haswell chips into the Microsoft Surface Pro?

I know they originally have/had Ivy Bridge chips in those tablet-pc's but since Haswell has come out it is the PERFECT opportunity to swap those Ivy's for Haswell's.

Why?

The Surface Pro has poor battery life. (4 hours if memory serves) and Haswell has supposedly lowered power consumption.

Honestly it would be a great move to put in Haswell chips instead of Ivy's.

However I also heard Haswell has more heat problems as well so I don't know how that will work out.
    Last edited by mmoc13485c3c3f; 2013-06-05 at 12:18 AM.

In a system meant to sit on a desk maybe, but for something you are meant to hold in your hands the reports of the heat problems are a worrying prospect for their use in tablet or notebook formats.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    In a system meant to sit on a desk maybe, but for something you are meant to hold in your hands the reports of the heat problems are a worrying prospect for their use in tablet or notebook formats.
    Well you can put it on a desk with it's flip-stand. :P

Also it has a physical keyboard so....50/50 on that one.

(I know it's not what you mean, just saying it was somewhat made to be put onto a desk too)

Mobile processors don't usually come with an IHS. This alleviates the bulk of Ivy Bridge and Haswell thermal problems.

15+ Year Old Account
    They should come out, if their is a demand for it, which their should be. I heard haswell had much better internal gpu so that could help mobile out a lot.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Well Surface runs off of mobile processors from intel's lineup. So, they already have ivy bridge (sandy bridge?). So, we may see microsoft keep up with the times. I would hope.

---------- Post added 2013-06-05 at 12:17 AM ----------

The hardware of the Surface is more comparable to a laptop than a tablet. The huge surface area of the Surface could probably provide enough air cooling through radiating the heat anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bananarepublic View Post
    I know they originally have/had Ivy Bridge chips in those tablet-pc's but since Haswell has come out it is the PERFECT opportunity to swap those Ivy's for Haswell's.

Why?

The Surface Pro has poor battery life. (4 hours if memory serves) and Haswell has supposedly lowered power consumption.

Honestly it would be a great move to put in Haswell chips instead of Ivy's.

However I also heard Haswell has more heat problems as well so I don't know how that will work out.
    Probably 6 months from now. Intel is concentrating on pushing out the mainstream performance parts before the low voltage parts.

From what I have read, power improvements will be very modest. The lower wattage parts won't set the world on fire because they have seriously reduced clockspeeds. The big jump will probably come with the next shrink for Broadwell.
    Last edited by Cows For Life; 2013-06-07 at 06:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Heat and power concerns don't exist with Haswell in quite the same way as they did for IB, which is why we're seeing haswell laptops that have similar performance to a desktop but are < 1" thick. The iGPU has been improved so perhaps we'll see a 1080 or 1440 surface pro (instead of the 1366x768 they currently use).
    The heat problems only existed on desktop processors with IHS's since Intel used thermal paste instead of fluxless solder. Haswell desktop chips have the same thermal paste setup used on IB with the IHS which is actually why they run hotter than they should. Removing the IHS on both IB and Haswell desktop chips can usually drop the core temperatures by 10-15C.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1397672/d...verclockablity
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1397764/d...-4670k-results

Here's some peoples results from delidding Haswell. The FIVR did increase the TDP, which thus would increase the temperatures but overall the IHS is the major contributor as to why Haswell desktop chips run hot.

---------- Post added 2013-06-07 at 06:57 AM ----------

Overall Haswell on mobile platforms should not suffer from heat issues seeing as they don't typically put IHS's on mobile processors.

"Will they implement Haswell chips into the Microsoft Surface Pro?"
    No they won't. But they might do it for "Microsoft Surface Pro 2".
    And why "Microsoft Surface Pro"? There will be hundreds of notebooks, laptops, tablets and other devices with this chip installed. It's not like microsoft was ever a perfect choice.

Deleted
    They definitely will not for this gen of Surfaces. They will most likely use Haswell in the next gen. The interesting thing will be how the cooling works. In the current Surface Pro the processor is actually designed for laptops as opposed to ultra books which is pretty impressive but thats also why there are two fans under the hood so it may be hard to get a decent performance increase while still keeping the cooling effective. I'm not sure how many people have used one but they can get pretty damn warm. Finally, lets be honest, the battery life isn't great but when you realize the hardware thats in it and the sheer size of the device, it is pretty cool.

*Edit*
    Heat and power concerns don't exist with Haswell in quite the same way as they did for IB, which is why we're seeing haswell laptops that have similar performance to a desktop but are < 1" thick. The iGPU has been improved so perhaps we'll see a 1080 or 1440 surface pro (instead of the 1366x768 they currently use).

Surface Pro already has a 1920x1080 screen while the Surface RT is 1366x768
    Last edited by mmoc564acf2e20; 2013-06-07 at 10:15 AM.