10+ Year Old Account

Back from a long break, picking up hunter, any sage advice?

Heya folks,

So I have been playing pretty much forever, but I have not really played hunter at level cap ever before. I have always played Melee classes but where I live now the lag just sucks for PvPing with melee. Hunter is the ranged class I like the best, I'm not a big fan of pets but I hate having to hard cast way more, so hunter it is.

I have also been gone for the last 6 months or so, so a lot of stuff is really new to me.

SO I thought I'd come her and ask for some advice about playing Hunter. I have started reading various guides and such and will continue to do so so here I'm really looking for things I might not see in the guides.

Some background on my playstyle... These days I mostly like to BG but I'll dig into PvE somewhat. Long ago I was a hardcore raider but I just don't have the patience for all the guild raiding drama so PvE wise LFR is probably going to be as much as I do. Not a huge fan of Arena, but I like rated BG when I can find a team. Like I said I don't play hardcore any more but I still like to perform the best I can even in random BG and LFR, it's just a personal pride in my performance thing.

What should I be doing as soon as I hit lvl cap? Any good tips on PvP tactics/tricks? I'm playing BM now mostly because I like my spirit beasts but I think they might not be the best pvp pets so I'm not married to that spec. Any favorite macros or addons you can't live without?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    You thought the leaden winter would bring you down forever, But you rode upon a steamer to the violence of the sun...
    And you see a girl's brown body dancing through the turquoise, And her footprints make you follow where the sky loves the sea.
    And when your fingers find her, she drowns you in her body, Carving deep blue ripples in the tissues of your mind.

For random bgs spirit beasts are the way to go imo if you don't have a pocket healer. I usually have between 2-3 million heals in random bgs as BM with spirit bond and a spirit beast. Pick up engineering too, the glider/boosts will save your life many times and are just a lot of fun (disengage off a cliff and glide away to safety) As for macros, there is the standard "blow all cd's" one that every BM hunter should have. Make sure every key is bound, don't click..etc etc, don't backpedal. When you hit level cap, work on grinding pieces of 522 valor gear if you're not in a bg, is is better than honor gear for pvp. If you dont like micro managing a pet just pick up the Blink Strikes talent, sit back, and enjoy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Try to get some raid finder gear if you can. PVE isent that bad for starter pvp anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Tacotruck View Post
    What should I be doing as soon as I hit lvl cap? Any good tips on PvP tactics/tricks? I'm playing BM now mostly because I like my spirit beasts but I think they might not be the best pvp pets so I'm not married to that spec. Any favorite macros or addons you can't live without?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    You should get the crafted PvP gear right away. Start doing ToT LFR for good starting weapons. You should look up a few macros like;

#showtooltip Masters Call
    /cast [target=Your name] Masters Call

#showtooltip Scatter Shot
    /cast [nomod] Scatter Shot
    /cast [mod;alt,@ focus] Scatter Shot

#showtooltip Bestial Wrath
    /petattack
    /cast Bestial Wrath
    /cast Rabid(Ferocity Ability)
    /cast Intimidation

If I was you i would get the best Insignia trinket right away and the Darkmoon agility trinket as soon as you hit 90.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks guys between this and the guides I think I'm figuring things out. Just a few more bars to 90! Should hit it tonight after I get back from dinner with some friends.
    You thought the leaden winter would bring you down forever, But you rode upon a steamer to the violence of the sun...
    And you see a girl's brown body dancing through the turquoise, And her footprints make you follow where the sky loves the sea.
    And when your fingers find her, she drowns you in her body, Carving deep blue ripples in the tissues of your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    You should get the crafted PvP gear right away. Start doing ToT LFR for good starting weapons. You should look up a few macros like;

#showtooltip Masters Call
    /cast [target=Your name] Masters Call

#showtooltip Scatter Shot
    /cast [nomod] Scatter Shot
    /cast [mod;alt,@ focus] Scatter Shot

#showtooltip Bestial Wrath
    /petattack
    /cast Bestial Wrath
    /cast Rabid(Ferocity Ability)
    /cast Intimidation

If I was you i would get the best Insignia trinket right away and the Darkmoon agility trinket as soon as you hit 90.
    That is a terrible macro!

Why would you ever want to lose the ability to use Intimidation on demand, and only in a burst macro?

Quote Originally Posted by Fiftyonred View Post

Why would you ever want to lose the ability to use Intimidation on demand, and only in a burst macro?
    doesn't make him unable to have a different bind for it u know...just make him cast it with the macro too

Quote Originally Posted by Fiftyonred View Post

You don't want your target moving or casting defensive CD during your Bestial Wrath.

Deleted
    silencing shot is better anyway

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mokuton View Post
    silencing shot is better anyway
    silencing shot doesn't work on rogues, warriors... intimidation works on all types of classes.

Deleted
    and? silencing shot is just better, and you have shale spider to stun

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mokuton View Post
    and? silencing shot is just better, and you have shale spider to stun
    I do? Is the shale spider a superior PvP pet?