Quick question on gearing for the new Haste Prot Paladin strategy

My guildmates convinced me to bring my Paladin out of retirement and level/gear him up to tank. Quick question about this "Control" build I've been seeing as the way to go now: Is it something that you strive for out of the gate when you start gearing (i.e. as a fresh 90) or does it require some higher iLevel of gear to be effective, and before that you should go for the old avoidance gear?

Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    My guildmates convinced me to bring my Paladin out of retirement and level/gear him up to tank. Quick question about this "Control" build I've been seeing as the way to go now: Is it something that you strive for out of the gate when you start gearing (i.e. as a fresh 90) or does it require some higher iLevel of gear to be effective, and before that you should go for the old avoidance gear?
    I did go for haste right away, and i have to admit it did feel a bit soft in the beginning, not having any protection and slow build of the shield, but it quickly improved, and it's so much more fun when you begin to get decent amounts of haste.
    Wasn't that bad though. Just had to pull a bit slower, but kinda felt i had to anyway since consencration have such a damn long CD, that i didn't feel i could pick up adds on the run.
    I did roll on tank-gear too, since it was better than the greens, but prefered the gear with the right stats.
    Can feel a bit slow in the beginning with the exesive need for expertise, so your haste goes up very slowly.

edit:
    Dusted mine out a little month ago, so not a expert in it, and just tanking tot normal with it ^^
    Just saying how my impression with it was
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Deleted
    The best way to handle it while gearing up according to me.

1. Get 1 stamina trinket an 1 ghost iron dragonling with hit/exp/haste.
    2. Go max haste after 7.5 hit and expertise, do not go for full expertise cap right away. If you got for full expertise in blue gear you are only hurting yourself.

You should never aim for using avoidance gear.

Gearing strategy depends on the content you will be doing, 10 or 25, your skill and your group's skill...

We cant really tell you absolutely "do this" or "do that". If you and your team are a very good players you might aswell do whole ToT NM on greenies no matter your gear strategy.

If you will be doing 10m nm, have a regular nm team and want a short answer i'd advise:

hit(7.5%) > exp (7.5%) > haste (ad infinitum) > exp(15%) > stamina > mastery > crit >>>>>>>> parry = dodge

In no scenario you want to go the avoidance route. With the changes they made to the attack table, with current gear levels we cant reach full ctc, so avoidance route is spiky.

Probably, while undergeared, you might need dropping a bit haste for gaining more stamina but that's something you will need to analyze yourself. For us, "enough stamina" is that wich comes with gear. We dont gem stamina. We dont usually enchat stamina unless no other option. We dont use stamina trinkets.

Keep in mind that all this "haste is king" isnt actually for gaining survivability. We consider that we already have more than enough survivability, so we trade some survivability (stamina) for some dps and minor increased survivability (higher sotr uptime).

When the tank isnt dieing more dps helps a lot during progression. Killing all ads in Horridon before being overwhelmed, being able to kill Sul before sandstorm, killing lighting chicken on Iron quon before an additional tornado phase start... tank dps helps in those tasks a lot.

Now im sitting in like 15.5 k haste, and in most combats im above many (if not all) dps in damage done.

+ is fun bitching at your fellow dps raidmates because "tank is owning you at dps" :P

Most of what Kethmil said is accurate. That's the gearing system I use in mostly HC gear still, but it's a good place to start. Don't start to shoot for 15% expertise til ~505ish I'd say, since you simply won't have the gear level to get enough other stats (haste, stam specifically).

I still do enchant stamina everywhere I can (Chest 300, Cloak 200. If LW, Bracers 500 is amazing) simply because it's often better than the alternative. Haste enchants are few and far between, so don't stress that. Also, like FF said, 1 stam trinket is a good place to start. The Shado-pan 489 trinket will last you til Lei Shen's, and has a great on-use mastery proc on a short CD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    Most of what Kethmil said is accurate. That's the gearing system I use in mostly HC gear still, but it's a good place to start. Don't start to shoot for 15% expertise til ~505ish I'd say, since you simply won't have the gear level to get enough other stats (haste, stam specifically).

I still do enchant stamina everywhere I can (Chest 300, Cloak 200. If LW, Bracers 500 is amazing) simply because it's often better than the alternative. Haste enchants are few and far between, so don't stress that. Also, like FF said, 1 stam trinket is a good place to start. The Shado-pan 489 trinket will last you til Lei Shen's, and has a great on-use mastery proc on a short CD.
    I didn't go for expertise in the beginning either, since it felt too limiting haste-wise
    Did change into full expertise from ilvl 490 or so with an expertise-trinket. Didn't feel bad to me, but might be a matter of taste.
    Stam in that gear wasn't an huge issue either, and i guess it won't be unless you aim for HC or are struggling with something as horridon, since it can be a painfull if things die slow
    Haven't enchanted for stamina, apart from chest.

Mind you, i completely failed several things with that gear, and i still survived overall
    Like not keeping the sacred shield up, most of all but also thinking that shield toss gave me holy power, even without proc >.<
    Did think holy power was bugged, since it didn't give me enough, but i just pressed, so never realised why it didn't give me holy power each time. thought i got parried, which i didn't understand, having full 15 expertise. Made me fail some shields, since i didn't have enough holy power for a shield, which i thought i would, due to having a shield toss free *nooby look*
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

So because of this, that means I can use certain PVP pieces for both Prot and Ret, if they have some combination of Haste/Mastery/Hit/Expertise?

Yes, pvp items no longer have less "proper stats" because they have other pvp stats.
    A 496 pvp item has the same stat values as a 496 pve item.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!