1. #1

    Launching Multiple Instances of Guild Wars 2 Client

    Like the title suggest, does anyone know how to launch multiple instances of the Guild Wars 2 client? (without using a third party program) IE: Is there anything I can add to the target location or do something via the processes tab in Windows Task Manager.

    Yes, this is legal by the way for those curious or unaware.

    Dual- or Multi-Boxing
    1.) You may use more than one account at the same time.
    2.) You may use more than one computer at the same time.
    3.) You must be actively playing on each account.
    4.) And as stated above, you may not program your keyboard to perform functions on more than one account at a time.
    a. For example, if you press W on your keyboard to move forward, a single character on a single account should move forward. The keystroke or mouse click should not perform functions on more than one account.

    https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...g-Macros/first

  2. #2
    If it's anything like GW1, the only way without using a 3rd party tool would be to create a separate copy (though you might be able to create a symbolic link to do so, never tried it).

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

  3. #3
    the easiest way is to install a second client somewhere, i think.
    Because I want to say this every single day but don't want it to get a drag:
    1) The ingame store will only sell timesaver items. It won't affect balance.
    2) No, getting to 100 in half the time isn't pay2win. raids don't start until the second week, everyone has time to get there.
    4) getting charms faster is also not pay2win. getting those is easy, but not everyone has the time or want for dailies.

  4. #4
    Understood, thank you both for the input. I was hoping to avoid installing a second copy, but if that is what it takes Appreciate the quick responses! rhandric, I am not too familiar with symbolic links, so for now I think I will stray from that course, but thanks for a different option.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Adminir View Post
    Understood, thank you both for the input. I was hoping to avoid installing a second copy, but if that is what it takes Appreciate the quick responses! rhandric, I am not too familiar with symbolic links, so for now I think I will stray from that course, but thanks for a different option.
    I don't think that symbolic links would work in this case. A symbolic link is useful if you're using an SSD and want to keep big files on your data disk to save space, or frequently changed files to extend the lifespan. however, it stays the same file in the same place for purposes of determining whether the file is already active, since it's the file itself that checks for double loads, not the system.
    Because I want to say this every single day but don't want it to get a drag:
    1) The ingame store will only sell timesaver items. It won't affect balance.
    2) No, getting to 100 in half the time isn't pay2win. raids don't start until the second week, everyone has time to get there.
    4) getting charms faster is also not pay2win. getting those is easy, but not everyone has the time or want for dailies.

  6. #6
    Getting a second copy installed on a different hard drive has become troublesome. When trying to install the client via the Guild Wars 2 account page, running the installer only seems to start the already installed game (no matter it's location), INSTEAD of installing a brand new client to a different directory. Copying the files and having two completely separate folders on completely different drives has the same effect. No matter which client I start up, whether it be via the C: drive or the H: drive, they both link to the other one. When one client is open, trying to open the opposite client only REOPENS the one currently running.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Adminir View Post
    Getting a second copy installed on a different hard drive has become troublesome. When trying to install the client via the Guild Wars 2 account page, running the installer only seems to start the already installed game (no matter it's location), INSTEAD of installing a brand new client to a different directory. Copying the files and having two completely separate folders on completely different drives has the same effect. No matter which client I start up, whether it be via the C: drive or the H: drive, they both link to the other one. When one client is open, trying to open the opposite client only REOPENS the one currently running.
    hello, just wondering if you ever made this work ? I have 2 copies of the game, my first account wa hacked, I bought another one and 2 months later I got the first one back, which I did not use for some time.Now I would like to try and launch bot games on the same computer, so my brother can play with me - I wanted to place one game on the TV screen that is attached to thje graphic card, the other on the monitor.Has anyone managed to start 2 games with 2 different accounts, on the same computer ? Thank you.

  8. #8
    The Lightbringer Karizee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Eternal Alchemy
    Posts
    3,941
    Here's a video from a guy that's currently running 8 accounts. He says you only need 1 install of the game and he does use a 3rd party program called Multi Wars that runs a launcher then closes. Haven't tried it so I cannot vouch.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6ASeCK9gaY
    Who knows more of gods than I? Horse gods and fire gods, gods made of gold with gemstone eyes, gods carved of cedar wood, gods chiseled into mountains, gods of empty air... I know them all.
    ~Euron "Crow's Eye" Greyjoy

  9. #9
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by cmmon View Post
    Now I would like to try and launch bot games on the same computer, so my brother can play with me - I wanted to place one game on the TV screen that is attached to thje graphic card, the other on the monitor.
    Forgive my total ignorance on this sort of topic, but wouldn't you have controller problems? Both you and your brother would need a mouse and a keyboard to play, presumably, so even if you managed to connect this many devices to your PC, how would it know which input commands (key presses, mouse movements) are for which instance of the game?

    I realise that clever people can do all sorts of clever things, but this seems really awkward and complicated to me.

  10. #10
    It's not complicated, you simply tell the background program to send your input keys to both clients, sadly this is against the tos.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

  11. #11
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    It's not complicated, you simply tell the background program to send your input keys to both clients, sadly this is against the tos.
    Yeah, I guess I don't get it. Send to both clients? So he and his brother will need to ensure that their keybinds are totally different, with no overlap? One uses WASD for movement, and 1-5 for the spells, and the other guy uses UHJK for movement, and 6-0 for his spells? Something like that? Seems clunky and painful and impractical to me. And that's not even considering the mouse movement...

    One guy will go to use 100 Blades on his warrior, and accidentally make his brother's Thief do a shadowstep thing off the cliff.

    It makes me think of those two-headed ogres, when one head wants to chop up the adventurers with an axe, and the other head wants to sizzle them with a fire spell, and they end up bickering and fighting for control of the body and dying some sort of retarded comedy death.

  12. #12
    Different keybinds work, with the software we're talking about it's possible to input two keyboards, you can then make the second board add ALT (or ctrl, or shift) to every key: you push W and you send alt+w.

    The only issue is the mouse
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    It's not complicated, you simply tell the background program to send your input keys to both clients, sadly this is against the tos.
    I think you mean traditional multi-boxing where one person controls two (or more) versions of the game simultaneously. (I once tanked a random Utgarde Pin with a quartet of synchronized shaman, was quite eerie.) I press one button on my keyboard and 2-3 versions of bearbow the ranger fire their bows at once while sending noname the Juvenile Brown Bear at their prey...

    The other guy was talking about two different versions of the game, sending to two monitors with two people giving two inputs, all on one computer. Seems a bit more odd, having say, two keyboards, one sending to one version, one sending to the other.

    Edit: your new response says you were talking about the right thing, so ignore everything I said.

  14. #14
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Different keybinds work, with the software we're talking about it's possible to input two keyboards, you can then make the second board add ALT (or ctrl, or shift) to every key: you push W and you send alt+w.

    The only issue is the mouse
    Genius. As long as they don't mind being keyboard turners, they're set!

    No matter how odd or difficult something seems at first glance, someone creative out there will have found a way to work around it.

  15. #15
    Note that this technically will still be against the tos since you have to send one keystrike to both accounts one simply isn't using the input.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •