Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DStrukt View Post
    You shouldnt drink protein shakes with milk post workout, you should actually use water.
    Did that once, tasted so bad

Protetin shakes are just a cheap way of hitting your required daily macros. Not much more and not much less. Regardless of what your goals are you need certain amounts of protein (based on age/sex/weight/leanmass/hormones/exercise level/diet/etc...). If using shakes to hit your macros is more convenient or easier for you, then do it. If you'd rather eat some food, then do that instead. Your muscles don't care if the AA in the blood originated from a cow or from the MuscleTech Factory.

You shouldnt drink protein shakes with milk post workout, you should actually use water. Any other time is fine, but post workout choose water.
    Fat is the slowest to digest, and even the little fat in milk means the protein your muscles are starved for have to wait that little bit longer to receive the nutrients they want.
    That "post exercise anabolic window" is not only open for a few hours after you lift, then disappears and you go catabolic if you didn't get your protein fix. It persists for AT LEAST 24hrs after exercising - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21289204. The start of body protein losses occur only after 20+ hours of not eating anything, and even then, it's not huge. It's wayyyyyyyy (ie the ONLY important factor) more important to hit your protein(and other macros) target total for the day.
    http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5

Feel free to get yourself a whey protein to consume immediately after your training, take this with an banana to create an insulin spike.
    The insulin spikes stuff immediately post workout is also not THAT important. The "logic" behind it is that it counteracts the catabolic response to a post-trained state, which encourages "anabolic hormones" ==> speedy recovery.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?D...ubmed_RVDocSum
    - no difference between post- exercise high- and low-GI car intake on exercise performance the following day
    -actually observed better next-day performance in subjects who consumed low-GI post-exercise carbs than those who had high-GI post-exercise carbs.

- glucogenesis that lasts between 30-60 mins after exercise isn't even dependant on insulin

Minimal elevation of insulin (from 5-10mU/l to 15-25mU/l - which is the the level where greatest muscle protein breakdown occurs; elevating it any higher is useless) within the 24hr period after exercise is enough to aid in recovery. Hitting that level is as very easy, med-to-large size meals (either before or after exercise) elevate it to triple+ times that "required" level or 20g or whey alone can spike it to over that level.

The only bad is SUGAR
    Bad? Sure it doesn't help with keeping your teeth healthy and needs to be minded by diabetics, but it's not inherently bad.

I must be wrong then because you are proving so with a website.

I go by my own knowledge and experience as I've seen hundreds of my clients make dramatic body transformations with my training, I wont argue with what you are saying but I can bet you my way will kick that websites ass all the way down to the ground.

10+ Year Old Account
    Protein shake makes you also loose a lot of gas ^^

P's I recommend looking into mike dolce, great UFC nutritionist.
    Last edited by Mister K; 2013-06-07 at 09:56 AM.
    -K

I must be wrong then because you are proving so with a website.

I go by my own knowledge and experience as I've seen hundreds of my clients make dramatic body transformations with my training, I wont argue with what you are saying but I can bet you my way will kick that websites ass all the way down to the ground.
    Anecdotes don't demonstrate correlation or even causation, sorry.

Your efforts may have produced results, but it doesn't mean the theory of post-workout anabolism needing to be counteracted by a PWO shake is valid.

Deleted
    So loosing weight, does this include some sort of diet aswell? Having working and large enough muscle mass is critical for that fat to burn. Worst cases are people just using diet to try losing weight, they are not just losing fat but also the muscle mass, so when they loose the weight and start eating normally the fat comes double fast back since they don't have the old muscle mass to use the incoming energy. Food is the best source for protein, supplements are when you don't have time to eat. Unless you are keen to get more muscle mass (need to eat a lot of protein). Now those ready made shakes usually also contain sugar for fast energy gain for recovering muscles thus I would avoid those (fat isn't used)

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Why does he think you need protein shakes, you are trying to get to a goal weight, while protein shakes are usually designed for those who are trying to gain muscle weight.
    False information. Protein powders are a supplement. If u can consume enough protein withiut shakes then go for it. However protein powders are cheaper per gram of protein then say eggs or chicken. Protein is needed for muscle growth yes but if youre not lifting or eating above your TDEE then u have no worries about adding on muscle.
    OP is trying to lose weight, his bet is consuming the protein shakes so he doesnt lose anymore muscle otherwise u gonna end up skinny fat(thin but no definition ie flabby). So make sure u lift aswell. Timing of when u eat or drink is of no relevance to losing weight but it is relevant to your performance.

Quote Originally Posted by FatRastafarian View Post
    False information. Protein powders are a supplement. If u can consume enough protein withiut shakes then go for it. However protein powders are cheaper per gram of protein then say eggs or chicken. Protein is needed for muscle growth yes but if youre not lifting or eating above your TDEE then u have no worries about adding on muscle.
    OP is trying to lose weight, his bet is consuming the protein shakes so he doesnt lose anymore muscle otherwise u gonna end up skinny fat(thin but no definition ie flabby). So make sure u lift aswell. Timing of when u eat or drink is of no relevance to losing weight but it is relevant to your performance.
    Basically this ^.

You should aim for 1g of protein per pound of lean mass. This will give your body the protein it needs to maintain the muscle mass. This can be obtained via shakes or food sources. Just be sure to factor it into your daily intake allowance.

Feeling a little for the OP now, simple questions lead to mass confusion with words and terms you've probably never heard of

Keeping it simple for you..

Eat Less & Do More = Lose Weight
    Eat More & DO Less = Gain Weight

They are the basics and using a protein drink supplement is perfectly fine.

Feeling a little for the OP now, simple questions lead to mass confusion with words and terms you've probably never heard of

Keeping it simple for you..

Eat Less & Do More = Lose Weight
    Eat More & DO Less = Gain Weight

They are the basics and using a protein drink supplement is perfectly fine.
    Let me help simplify it even more so. It doesn't really matter what you do diet is 90% of goal, IF you eat at a caloric defect (eg. 500 calories below your TDEE) you will lose weight overtime exercise is just a tool to help you along with being in a defect, Same goes for wanting to gain just being in a caloric surplus would cause weight gain again exercise is a tool to help you gain muscle vs fat.