Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Need a good book or website for sushi.

I have been trying to make sushi for a bit now and I am having some problems getting the rice right I also don't know a lot about preparing the toppings and such. So I would like to know a good website or book where I can find such information. I have always been fascinated with sushi and I would love to be able to make it myself.

this seems like a pretty good site:

http://makemysushi.com/

Rice is a PITA to cook.

Quote Originally Posted by Nillah View Post
    Rice is a PITA to cook.
    Boiling water is hard

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    this seems like a pretty good site:

http://makemysushi.com/
    Ty soo much. Im going to look it over.

Quote Originally Posted by Windfury View Post
    Boiling water is hard
    for sushi rice its not as simple as boiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Ty soo much. Im going to look it over.

Sushi restaurants use a rice cooker, which is even simpler than boiling. You just put the rice and water in and set a timer.

For making your own sushi boiled is fine, once it's cooked just drain it and stir through the appropriate seasonings, then leave it to sit for a little while so it's not damp when you make your rolls or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Windfury View Post
    Boiling water is hard
    Okay let me rephrase.

Cooking rice right is a PITA. Also,

^

sushi rice is not regular rice.. getting the vinegar/rice mixture takes years of practice to perfect

Deleted
    thats what japanese believe.A skilled cook can master it in one day.The years of practice to make the perfect rice is a myth.Its just oldschool sushi chefs are bast***s and they weren't giving the proper instructions to make it.Dont be dazzled by fake wannabe shit.If u get the proper rice and proper instructions theres nothing to fail.Buy matsuhisa's book.Im a chef for 12 years,own 100+ books of pro and casual cuisine and 99% of the books are simple shitty recipes.Matsuhisa's book is in the 1% of badass books lots to learn and the correct way to do everything

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Truthbetold View Post
    thats what japanese believe.A skilled cook can master it in one day.The years of practice to make the perfect rice is a myth.Its just oldschool sushi chefs are bast***s and they weren't giving the proper instructions to make it.Dont be dazzled by fake wannabe shit.If u get the proper rice and proper instructions theres nothing to fail.Buy matsuhisa's book.Im a chef for 12 years,own 100+ books of pro and casual cuisine and 99% of the books are simple shitty recipes.Matsuhisa's book is in the 1% of badass books lots to learn and the correct way to do everything
    Doubt you are a chef. I am & I'd be the first to say skilled sushi is hard as fuck.

Mastering it in a day? Get tae fuck.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not a chef, in fact I'm pretty bad at cooking - but I've loved my simple YO! shushi book.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/YO-Sushi-Jap.../dp/0007241283
    The rice and vinegar recipe is very detailed, and they take you through it step by step to get good sushi rice from start to finish (and the other stuff too of course). The rice ends up with a good texture and flavor, as long as I pay attention

Truthbetold: You mention Matsuhisa's book, but not which book that is. It may be a no-brainer for you, but for us cooking noobs who might not be following the world of cooking in detail it may not be as straight forward. Is this the book you're talking about, or something else?
    http://www.amazon.com/Nobu-The-Cookb.../dp/156836489X
    My name is Necrox, and I'm an altoholic.

Deleted
    I have been trying to make sushi for a bit now and I am having some problems getting the rice right I also don't know a lot about preparing the toppings and such. So I would like to know a good website or book where I can find such information. I have always been fascinated with sushi and I would love to be able to make it myself.
    You have too see Jiro Dreams of Sushi (2011) http://www.imdb.com/media/rm17584422...5?ref_=tt_ov_i. Might not deliver on recipes - but its a really interesting take on the whole philosophy behind making the perfect Sushi. Plus alot of footage of 3 star Sushi dishes.

Protip:
    Use RICE vinegar or mirrin rather than wine or spirits vinegar. If you use mirrin, you also don't need as much sugar.

For rice: Use sticky rice. Longtong or something alike. Put it in cold water, and wash thoroughly before tossing it into water that's already on the boil (the mirrin, rice vinegar and sugar already added). Boil quickly and hot; remove the pot from the fire before the rice is well done (Just on the crunchy side of al dente). Drain the liquid off, cover the rice-pan (put a lid on it) and wrap the thing in towels. Let it sit in your bed for an hour, covered by the blanket.

Stuff to use with your sushi rice:
    -Fish. Fresh fish from the market is best. If you can't get it, you can opt for smoked fish instead. Whatever you do, however: Don't use frozen fish. It's yucky.
    -Shellfish. Prawn is great. Dutch shrimp is also nice. If you cannot find any fresh, you could make a paste instead (using prawn, some wasabi, a bit of mayo and a blender). You can just spread the paste onto your sushi.
    -Fish omelet. Easy. Put fish and eggs in a blender, add some shredded and dried seaweed, maybe some sesame seeds, and blend. Then pour it out, fry it slowly (with a lid to trap the heat inside), and cut it into strips to go with your sushi.
    -Beef. Carpaccio works. You could have a sushi roll filled with carpaccio, spring onion and pine nuts. Rolled up in nori leaf. Should be great.
    -Vegetable/fruit: Sweet corn works (though it's double grain). Something I like a lot with suchi is the simple cucumber fruit. Some people really like avocado with their sushi, but personally: Not a fan of avocado.
    Seaweed usually works quite well (though I prefer it as a side dish). You could also try sweet carrot, raddish and more.

Edit: Just for clarity: You don't need fish for sushi. Your fish (or other meat) also doesn't have to be raw.
    Last edited by Stir; 2013-06-06 at 03:59 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Protip:
    Use RICE vinegar or mirrin rather than wine or spirits vinegar. If you use mirrin, you also don't need as much sugar.

For rice: Use sticky rice. Longtong or something alike. Put it in cold water, and wash thoroughly before tossing it into water that's already on the boil (the mirrin, rice vinegar and sugar already added). Boil quickly and hot; remove the pot from the fire before the rice is well done (Just on the crunchy side of al dente). Drain the liquid off, cover the rice-pan (put a lid on it) and wrap the thing in towels. Let it sit in your bed for an hour, covered by the blanket.

Stuff to use with your sushi rice:
    -Fish. Fresh fish from the market is best. If you can't get it, you can opt for smoked fish instead. Whatever you do, however: Don't use frozen fish. It's yucky.
    -Shellfish. Prawn is great. Dutch shrimp is also nice. If you cannot find any fresh, you could make a paste instead (using prawn, some wasabi, a bit of mayo and a blender). You can just spread the paste onto your sushi.
    -Fish omelet. Easy. Put fish and eggs in a blender, add some shredded and dried seaweed, maybe some sesame seeds, and blend. Then pour it out, fry it slowly (with a lid to trap the heat inside), and cut it into strips to go with your sushi.
    -Beef. Carpaccio works. You could have a sushi roll filled with carpaccio, spring onion and pine nuts. Rolled up in nori leaf. Should be great.
    -Vegetable/fruit: Sweet corn works (though it's double grain). Something I like a lot with suchi is the simple cucumber fruit. Some people really like avocado with their sushi, but personally: Not a fan of avocado.
    Seaweed usually works quite well (though I prefer it as a side dish). You could also try sweet carrot, raddish and more.

Edit: Just for clarity: You don't need fish for sushi. Your fish (or other meat) also doesn't have to be raw.
    Just to pick you up. Japanese don't have fish in a Tamago or Tamagoyaki.

Also typically have beef in Teppanyaki.

Carpaccio is Italian also.

Quote Originally Posted by Slenderman View Post
    Just to pick you up. Japanese don't have fish in a Tamago or Tamagoyaki.

Also typically have beef in Teppanyaki.

Carpaccio is Italian also.
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say... But I think it means you're agreeing with me.
    Carpaccio is Italian, yes... But it's also a description of thinly sliced beef.
    I also used the word 'Lontong' which is Indonesian. :P (I now see it actually says 'Longtong.' It's really actually 'Lontong.')
    Last edited by Stir; 2013-06-06 at 05:26 PM.

Deleted
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say... But I think it means you're agreeing with me.
    Carpaccio is Italian, yes... But it's also a description of thinly sliced beef.
    I also used the word 'Lontong' which is Indonesian. :P (I now see it actually says 'Longtong.' It's really actually 'Lontong.')
    No I'm not.

I'm highlighting the fact that you're trying to give advice to people when you clearly have no clue.

Deleted
    here's a pro tip: buy raw fish and rice... eat ... proffit?

Deleted
    Last edited by mmocd7c2c6f77d; 2013-06-06 at 06:29 PM.

Don't use frozen fish. It's yucky.
    WRONG! Highest japanese grade sushi is almost always frozen. It's Americans (and a lot of Koreans) that are mostly concerned about the stigma of frozen fish. Is fresh caught, still alive, take it out of the tank and filet yourself fish better than frozen? Yes.. but that's usually not the case... most fish needs to be transported and freezing them actually keeps the fish fresher.. we're not talking about just regular freezing.. we're talking about bringing it down to -70ºF (superfreezing, supercooling).

So, no, there's nothing wrong or yucky about it at all..

Deleted
    Remember to rinse the rice till the water runs clear before cooking it, the potato starch on it to make it stop sticking together can make is sloppy if you leave it on while cooking.