Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I initially planned to pledge, but two things worried me enough that I won't pay without trying me first.

1. Priority passing, in all the videos it looked like it was taking up at least 70% of the game and ruining the pace. I know there's no way to do Instant cards without it, but having dealt with it in Duels of the Planeswalker... it just isn't fun when that takes up so much of the game. Even if it sacrifices a bit of depth, I'd rather play Hearthstone or Scrolls and avoid it.

2. PvP will be very expensive. Self explanatory, really. You may be able to buy overpriced PvP packs from other players via in-game currency, but even with that, joining structured PvP (even drafts that you bring unopened packs for) will cost real money.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldryth View Post
    I initially planned to pledge, but two things worried me enough that I won't pay without trying me first.

1. Priority passing, in all the videos it looked like it was taking up at least 70% of the game and ruining the pace. I know there's no way to do Instant cards without it, but having dealt with it in Duels of the Planeswalker... it just isn't fun when that takes up so much of the game. Even if it sacrifices a bit of depth, I'd rather play Hearthstone or Scrolls and avoid it.

2. PvP will be very expensive. Self explanatory, really. You may be able to buy overpriced PvP packs from other players via in-game currency, but even with that, joining structured PvP (even drafts that you bring unopened packs for) will cost real money.
    I think point 1 is very valid, in the pre-alpha footage, priority passing does seem extremely clunky - half the time you're being asked to take the time to click when there is absolutely nothing you can do, which is something the game should be able to detect. I do hope that gets streamlined because otherwise it is wasted space. Maybe a few seconds every turn doesn't seem like a lot when you word it like that, but if you're playing an 8 man tournament, that's going to end up adding up to a lot of wasted time.

Point 2... they've already stated that a standard draft tournament will cost $1 entry (+ your 3 boosters at $2 per booster, but in case anyone doesn't know what a draft tournament is, that means you get to keep the 45 cards + 3 treasure chests at the end). I personally think that $2 per booster pack is a pretty competitive price.. and if you subscribe to the VIP program, which costs $4 / months, you get 4 packs included which brings your first 4 packs of the month down to $1 a pack. It may well get pretty expensive to compete in the highest level of tournaments though, it's a TCG so anyone aiming to go "professional" probably is going to have to put a lot of investment into it. Drafts themselves look like they'll be pretty cheap though, I really don't think a $1 fee is a high price if it follows the same draft prize format as mtg, which it probably will.... then only if you come in last or next to last place will you actually lose money by entering.

It's actually looking to be one of the cheapest CCGs for attempting to be competitive. Packs are cheaper than other CCGs.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    So yeah, most likely mid-late August or early September for Alpha
    All right, thanks for the quick answer.

It's a while until then, but I can wait. I've always loved the idea of trading card games, and "MMO" slapped on it just got my interest right away.

Deleted
    An update from the developers yesterday told us that the final goal of 2.5 million was obtained via kickstarter (with all their added paypal donations), meaning CZE have committed themselves to a "Hexcon" weekend expo in Las Vegas - no dates or anything yet, but there will be exclusive cards, sleeves and goodies as well as live coverage for those not that, which all kickstarter backers will get, and all kickstarter backers get free tickets (you get the digital bonuses even if you don't attend).

An update from the developers yesterday told us that the final goal of 2.5 million was obtained via kickstarter (with all their added paypal donations), meaning CZE have committed themselves to a "Hexcon" weekend expo in Las Vegas - no dates or anything yet, but there will be exclusive cards, sleeves and goodies as well as live coverage for those not that, which all kickstarter backers will get, and all kickstarter backers get free tickets (you get the digital bonuses even if you don't attend).
    More like can't attend :O) Absolutely love how everything around Hex is being handled so far. The player first, I like that mindset. It might have been a worthy investment after all. Not that I spent a very large sum.

Deleted
    Two updates - the Underworld PvP Champions revealed

http://hextcg.com/pvp-champions-underworld/

and an art feature on the Vennen, one of the underworld races http://hextcg.com/art-feature-the-vennen/

I was told about HEX some time ago, but I didn't actually look into it until after the kickstarter ended unfortunately. If I get the $50 to be a slacker backer I'll definitely donate to them. In any case, I'm interested in the idea of an MMOC guild.

I like the concept of being able to earn cards in game through PvE and also the auction house using in game currency. My only worry is that like many other F2P games this will be a Pay to Win game wanting you to sink a lot of $$ just to be competitive at a certain level. I've always been turned off from other CCGs that want you to pay through the nose as soon as you sign up just to get a starter pack. Anyway, I used to play MTG in high school after growing out of Yu-Gi-Oh and I couldn't get enough of the game. I haven't played since Ravnica, so I'm a bit out of date I know, but from what I see in HEX, its similar MTG except there's some sort of double resource system I'm not entirely grasping yet. The equipment, gemming, and leveling of cards seems a bit monumental especially if you're one who likes to change up your decks a lot, but I'd really have to see for myself what this element of gaming is.

I do love that they're taking advantage of the fact that this game is created digitally and they're taking advantage of this element by breaking the limits of physical card game play by applying permanent effects to cards that persist even after the game is over (e.g. Spectral Lotus), creating an aspect of rare sights by seeing such cards transform only to never be seen again. This concept can technically be applied to a physical card game, but it can be messy or clunky and could always be reverted at the will of the play (unless there was such a card made having a peel-away sticker applied and once peeled, the card would permanently remain as its peeled-away card). Of course I'm sure the limit-breaking possibilities of being a digital-only game go further than just this, and more mechanics will be made in the future that take full advantage of this.

I'm excited

Deleted
    My only worry is that like many other F2P games this will be a Pay to Win game wanting you to sink a lot of $$ just to be competitive at a certain level.
    This seems to be a worry for a lot of people and it's legitimate; at the end of the day in an unsealed deck tournament then the people with the best cards are obviously going to have an advantage - skill, strategy, your deck synergy and planning are all going to come into play but there's no arguing that in a TCG someone with rare/powerful cards is going to have an advantage.

The "draft tournament" isn't like that though - in a draft tournament, the entry fee is $1 and you must take 3 booster packs ($2 each from CZE but $4 for 4 packs/month with the VIP program or purchaseable through the in-game auction house from other players). There are 8 people, they open their booster packs and you choose one card, then it goes round robin to the next person, they choose a card, next person chooses a card, etc. so you see all the cards in all the boosters and you take 45 cards, then you make a deck of around 20-25 of those cards (+20 or so resources which are unlimited/free but 18-23 seems to be the recommended amount atm). So you can have spent $10,000 on this game - it's not going to change the cards you can choose and play with in this tournament, everyone is on equal footing and the strategy is building your deck and picking which cards you want (or don't want the other guys to have).

Drafting is the way I plan to PvP because it's definitely not about how much money you've spent then

Deleted
    i backed like 20-30$ via paypal and cant wait to play it
    i replied to share this site with you, which seems pretty cool with weekly videos/articles and i expect them to do even more once they alpha starts

http://hextcgpro.com/

just check it out

Drafting is the way I plan to PvP because it's definitely not about how much money you've spent then
    I'm not worried about drafts either, its just not my preferred style of playing. Although I have little experience in drafts, I do like that everyone is on the same ground and it mostly comes down to who knows about the cards more, but I prefer to build my own decks based on a common (or uncommon) theme of effects then testing it out.

I'll be honest I have never played online card games whether it be MTG's version or whatever, but if there were ever an option that gave you a deckbuilder with access to the entire library of cards and then use your deck against other opponents who have also built their deck in this way, then I'd probably be playing this way all the time.

On the flip side, I suppose a mode of gameplay like this would take the fun out of actually collecting the cards, but that's where I'd imagine incentives come in (aforementioned deckbuilding games are not ranked whereas other games that use your collection are... progress in PvE/PvP opens access to vanity accessories, gems (for those socketed cards)... PvP matches get you ranked and gives you some sort of status... etc) and perhaps the aforementioned deckbuilding mode would be unlocked through some PvE play.

I feel like I still know nothing, I'm not sure what kind of differences there would be in PvP and PvE cards other than the fact that PvE cards may have some OP effects that would break the PvP game.

EDIT: On a somewhat related topic, does anyone know if beta invites for the WoW TCG have been going out or is everything still in internal stages?

Deleted
    EDIT: On a somewhat related topic, does anyone know if beta invites for the WoW TCG have been going out or is everything still in internal stages?
    Still internal at the minute.

I ended up being a slacker-backer due to not even realizing this existed during the kickstarter. I am beyond impressed with the way they have handled things so far, it's a refreshing change, plus it's been awhile since I played a TCG and I used to really love them. Looking forward to this!

I'd be interested in an MMOC guild too, that sounds great.

Deleted
    We finally have information about the Alpha - starting October 8th

I'm pretty excited, will hopefully see some of you guys there. We don't yet know if there are going to be guilds etc available - it'll probably just be the basics. You also won't get your backer rewards until beta, as there is going to be an alpha wipe, so it's likely to be a fairly short bug-testing phase, moving into beta when we'll get all our backer cards.

Deleted
    Here's the newest update for those who aren't part of the kickstarter campaign so don't get the emails:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...e/posts/611776

It includes information on what a "Keep name" is, and how people are going to get started with the Alpha

Confirmation of features that'll be available in the early alpha stages

Features in the Alpha
    - Make an account
    - Full play set (4) of PVP cards
    - Full deck building interface
    - Make and Save decks
    - Play single matches with other Alpha gamers
    - Chat!
    - First look at the Entrath interactive globe
    - Enjoy the (still in progress but greatly improved) interface elements!
    - The game going up and down as we patch and fix all the problems we discover as part of the Alpha
    - BUGS! This is Alpha; it will be riddled with bugs! That’s just the way an Alpha is, its part of the alpha process!

10+ Year Old Account
    id love a new game like battleforge alas this is just another typical tcg (as appearances go anyway)

from the card overview page it really does sound/look like hearthstone..
    Last edited by Achaman; 2013-09-28 at 09:15 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    id love a new game like battleforge alas this is just another typical tcg (as appearances go anyway)

from the card overview page it really does sound/look like hearthstone..
    I think that Hex and Hearthstone use a very similar strategy system. Hex is designed to be an "MMO" though, with an emphasis on group PvE for dungeons and raids, as well as levelling cards and equipping your heroes/cards with gear and then an emphasis on tournaments, ranking and esports for the PvP side. Hex has a heavy emphasis on communication and the social side. I think these are some of the things that make it quite different to Hearthstone - That being said, there are a LOT of TCGs out there and most follow a roughly similar strategy system to MtG including (it seems) both Hearthstone and Hex, but that's not really surprising given the fact that the original strategy system of MtG has been influencing cards games for decades now.

The "MMO" side of it is supposed to be what sets it apart - along with a lot of promises regarding esports and prize tournaments.

Deleted
    Due to the Alpha starting this week (first invites were meant to go out yesterday, but it's now on schedule for today or the next few days), they've released a full spoiler of the cards that are available in Alpha (NOT the full set that will be available in beta / release, but what is working now). It's 52MB and available to download here http://hextcg.com/hex-trading-card-game-spoiler/

10+ Year Old Account
    ive watched a few vids of hearthstone but the best way to get new cards is via the arena but it costs "money"

so i hope if this game has a similiar idea to get new cards or atleast a way to try cards you wont get without spending a stupid amount of RL money

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    ive watched a few vids of hearthstone but the best way to get new cards is via the arena but it costs "money"

so i hope if this game has a similiar idea to get new cards or atleast a way to try cards you wont get without spending a stupid amount of RL money
    As far as I'm aware - and this isn't a guarantee, but I believe it's how it works, you have PvE cards that can be earned through completing PvE. PvP cards are bought from booster packs. Booster packs can be gained either direct from the store using real cash, or from the player-run auction house (both individual cards, and unopened booster packs) using currency. Currency is gained from completing the game (not entirely sure how at this stage, I think both PvE and PvP).

You can also win booster packs through the in-game tournaments.

But it is at the end a trading card game, the basic premise is as with all trading card games, based on the original mtg style of you buy booster packs, then you trade with other players. Or you buy a starter deck, and you play tournaments and win cards - but this is the slower route.