HM Horridon Advice

Good day all,

My guild is currently working on Heroic Horridon. We have downed Jin and Ji-Kun so far on hm. Everyone in the guild minus myself and one of our tanks is well geared, pretty much 525+.

We are having a hell of a time on Horridon. Most of the time we manage the 4 door phases quite well. Aside from the occasional mishaps with orbs, poison, etc we make it to the last phase. We are not struggling to get Jalak down before 4 cries go off and the healing is not bad. I am the 3rd, under geared healer, but I manage to do my best. Regardless, once we down Jalak, one of our tanks seems to be taking a LOAD of damage. He is under geared compared to the other, but still an acceptable enough ilvl do be tanking him.

I am asking the lovely MMO-champ community to please review our logs from last night and let me know if you see anything that could be the reason for this as well as anything else you see that could be useful information.

Thank you!

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/f0grlu2vfn079a7w/

---------- Post added 2013-06-06 at 12:27 PM ----------

I also had another thought. For those who have killed it, roughly what health % is Horridon at for the transition to the final phase. I suspect we are not getting enough damage on him because it seems he is at 50% plus for us at the start of the Jalak phase...

Deleted
    2 heal and you'll be fine.

50% health is really good. When first progressing on this boss I remember having 60-70% health on horridon when getting to jalak. Of course now we have to stop dps at 35% and can actually burn horridon without killing jalak.

But like the above poster said, if tank healing is a problem dropping to two healers could allow you to kill it before your tanks die too many times. Have your strongest tank on him first. Take 4-5 stacks calling for external CDs for triple punc if needed. Bubble off his stacks with a hand of protection. Tank him until this tank dies. Braise that tank, and have him pick up horridon after the lesser geared tank runs out of cooldowns or dies.
    Aerzara, Discipline Priest
    <Modest> 14/14H - US 2nd 10m Guild

Our guild was having problems on this fight as well, at some point we were just getting overwhelmed with everything. The trick that worked for us on this fight which helped us down the boss and 1shot him every week since, we switched out the melee with ranged. It really becomes twice as hard if you have a lot of melee in the raid.

The setup we used: Druid(MT) Monk(adds), disc+holy+rdruid, ele,lock,hunter,ele,spriest. Having 2 melee in the raid will reduce the dmg output on the adds, since they have to move out of a lot of things, having ranged is rather easier. Maybe you should try switching one of the melees with a ranged dps and see how it goes.
    GearScore - is directly related to Skill; the More you care about it, the Less you have.
    GearScore - is like a Bikini; what it shows is Suggestive, what it hides is far more Important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Make sure your paladin healer is specced into Clemency. Have the monk tank the boss for the first three gates, bubbling off the stacks after Horridon crashes into the gates. Last gate, tank swap, then put the monk back on the boss for the final phase. I would say two heal it for sure. The faster the adds die, the less healing you will have to worry about.

"I am Rei Shen, prease!!"

Quote Originally Posted by fuknfreak View Post
    Our guild was having problems on this fight as well, at some point we were just getting overwhelmed with everything. The trick that worked for us on this fight which helped us down the boss and 1shot him every week since, we switched out the melee with ranged. It really becomes twice as hard if you have a lot of melee in the raid.

The setup we used: Druid(MT) Monk(adds), disc+holy+rdruid, ele,lock,hunter,ele,spriest. Having 2 melee in the raid will reduce the dmg output on the adds, since they have to move out of a lot of things, having ranged is rather easier. Maybe you should try switching one of the melees with a ranged dps and see how it goes.
    While I agree that would work, we have exactly 10 on our roster. We are losing our dps warrior in a week or two, and we are trying to recruit a ranged (ele shaman or spriest).

For us it seems out Warrior tank is taking substantially more damage than our monk any time he is on the boss. I am not sure why, obviously ilvl may play some role, but he is still like 513 last time I checked.

If you are getting to 50% on horridon before jalak comes out that's really good. Also 2 heal it strongest tank takes him first. Make sure during the last phase everyone stacks up on his leg except for the tank use external CDs on tank and bop off his stacks! Stay cool and focused you will get your first kill to tonight!!

---------- Post added 2013-06-06 at 05:24 PM ----------

Also for your warrior tank he should have a sblock up and a mini barrier to reduce the dmg. Is he hit/exp capped?

Quote Originally Posted by Shiinji View Post
    If you are getting to 50% on horridon before jalak comes out that's really good. Also 2 heal it strongest tank takes him first. Make sure during the last phase everyone stacks up on his leg except for the tank use external CDs on tank and bop off his stacks! Stay cool and focused you will get your first kill to tonight!!

---------- Post added 2013-06-06 at 05:24 PM ----------

Also for your warrior tank he should have a sblock up and a mini barrier to reduce the dmg. Is he hit/exp capped?
    Our monk healer (most geared of the three healers) is fistweaving on this fight. If you look at the dps numbers from our logs he is doing around 100k dps so essentially we are getting 8 people to dps on him. Unfortunately, I have returned from a lengthy break and I am only at ilvl501.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBGreene View Post
    While I agree that would work, we have exactly 10 on our roster. We are losing our dps warrior in a week or two, and we are trying to recruit a ranged (ele shaman or spriest).

For us it seems out Warrior tank is taking substantially more damage than our monk any time he is on the boss. I am not sure why, obviously ilvl may play some role, but he is still like 513 last time I checked.
    Monks have stagger, warriors do not.
    GearScore - is directly related to Skill; the More you care about it, the Less you have.
    GearScore - is like a Bikini; what it shows is Suggestive, what it hides is far more Important.

We are having a hell of a time on Horridon. Most of the time we manage the 4 door phases quite well. Aside from the occasional mishaps with orbs, poison, etc we make it to the last phase. We are not struggling to get Jalak down before 4 cries go off and the healing is not bad.
    Your logs from the link tell another story as to when you were wiping:

1-4, 6, 8, 10, 11, 13-15 pre-Jalak
    5, 7 Jalak blew you all up

Only on 9 and 12 did you reach the final phase and lose to Horridon.

This isn't to say that your tanks need to do a better job on the final phase, but you cannot fix a problem if you're unable to identify what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by trystero View Post
    Your logs from the link tell another story as to when you were wiping:

1-4, 6, 8, 10, 11, 13-15 pre-Jalak
    5, 7 Jalak blew you all up

Only on 9 and 12 did you reach the final phase and lose to Horridon.

This isn't to say that your tanks need to do a better job on the final phase, but you cannot fix a problem if you're unable to identify what it is.

5 and 7 I believe were both the poor timing of the 2nd or 3rd cry and dire call in a very short time. As I recall one of those they were literally on top of each other.

The doors feel rng to me in a way. It seems sometimes we are taking little to no raid wide damage, but other times, same door wayyy more damage. There is nothing more demoralizing than getting to the final phase with everyone up only to be put back into place.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBGreene View Post
    .5 and 7 I believe were both the poor timing of the 2nd or 3rd cry and dire call in a very short time. As I recall one of those they were literally on top of each other.

The doors feel rng to me in a way. It seems sometimes we are taking little to no raid wide damage, but other times, same door wayyy more damage. There is nothing more demoralizing than getting to the final phase with everyone up only to be put back into place.
    In my experience, the 2nd cry from Jalak lines up at the same time as a dire call. Massive healing CDs should be used here to compensate plus defensive CDs from the group. Watch timers and you'll be able to prepare for that. Our resto druid was able to solo heal through it on an attempt we had this past week with tranq and shrooms alone. The group should be stacked at that point, so shrooms are huge. Plan CDs and you'll make it.

2 heal if you have another strong dps, otherwise keep the fistweaver in full dps mode. Getting to 50% on a progress pull by the Jalak phase whilst running 3 healers is pretty insane btw.

As for your statement about sometimes there being no raid damage and sometimes there is lots, you need to actually read the various mob abilities and you would understand. There is no randomness to this fight. Eg, miss an interrupt on the 2nd door, you get raid dmg, don't miss and you get none. No DK army or low add dps on the 3rd door? You get lots of raid dmg, have dk army ghouls taunting and do some sicks dps, and you get little to none. People dpsing with Hex of Confusion or standing in Totems on the 4th door? You get lots of raid dmg, otherwise, little to none. The story goes on.. this fight is pure execution.

As for Jalak, we never really found him to be a major aspect of the fight, there is maybe 1 point where his aoe and the Dire Call can overlap, blow one raid cd and you negate his difficulty. The Direcalls that Horridon lets off after he dies are far more threatening to the raid than anything Jalak will do, especially the ones that have a Triple Puncture following immediately after.

Make sure your tanks are not getting gibbed when they get Direhorns. Rotate tanks to whichever has a lifesaving/major cd available. DO NOT use any damage reduction or absorption cooldowns on the raid, got Spirit Shell and Barrier? Use them both on tanks, raid will get healed up passively over time and will not take any damage other than Direcalls every 1 minute. Use everything you have available to reduce the damage your tanks take from the puncture.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

Arter Jalak is dead you want your healers more or less healing the tanks fulltime. The only damage anyone except your tanks should be taking is Dire Call, which happens at 1min intervals. Just casually AoE heal the raid up before each Dire Call. Any raidCD's should be used on tanks. Dire Call will not kill a player if they are topped off, or close to topped off.

Quote Originally Posted by oggyowl View Post
    2 heal and you'll be fine.
    Pretty much this. Most people I know lost a tank on the boss @ the end. Just have horridon lower and don't waste your brez.

My advice would be 2 heal it and have both raid and personal cds ready for when jalak jumps down - 3 healing this fight is just a waste cause most things which kill people there would one shot them regardles if u had even 5 healers .

We got it down last night. Our Warrior swapped over to his druid who was a couple ilvls higher. Much smoother all together. Took us a total of three pulls I believe and we essentially 9 man'd it as I dc'd at the beginning of fight, reset things and came back in the 4th door transtition and was up for about 2 minutes or so to the Jalak phase and lagged out again...it was lovely.

Thanks for all the advice. On to Heroic Tortos.

We seem to have more success with 2 healing. Remember that a shorter fight and less adds means less healing is required - it's not necessarily the case that the two healers will have to do the same amount of healing that the 3 of you do now.

Congrats on the kill! You should keep the advice in mind for future instances where it may be applicable