Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

The Problem with WoW Summarized in one Sentence

"Been challenging for us when folks who play 2 hours a night and folks who play 2 a week want to progress at similar rates." (Source)

This is a blue post from the front page of this very website. This should not even be an issue. The fact that Blizz thinks players who put in 2 hours a week should see similar progression to those who play daily is EXACTLY why this game is in a state of decline. This is not about casual vs hardcore, this is about effort vs reward and it is wrong.

This video is relevant.

Oh hey, another thread written by someone who thinks they know the "problem" with WoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

These threads make me sad can't we all just get along and play nicely together? *goes into her sad panda corner*

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Oh hey, another thread written by someone who thinks they know the "problem" with WoW.
    Realistically there are other issues, including the game's age which is just part of the genre, but yes, the above mentioned Blizz comment is most definitely a shining example of a major problem with this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearshield View Post
    Realistically there are other issues, including the game's age which is just part of the genre, but yes, the above mentioned Blizz comment is most definitely a shining example of a major problem with this game.
    In.

Your.

Opinion.

It's not a fact because my belief is completely different than yours.

Same with Glitch's.

Same with a large majority of this forum.

It's not a fact.

It's.

Your.

Opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll tell you what's wrong with WoW in 2 words.

"The playerbase."

Everyone's so worked up about everything, they forget that it's a game.

Why does it matter whether or not someone gets the same thing from 2 hours a day or 2 hours a week? Neither seem like they'll be pushing end-game content and heroic progression. Let the casuals progress together in LFR.
    "It was the product of a mind so twisted, it was actually sprained." -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by nurabsal View Post
    on an aside, i think Bane Falcon might be my hero
    2-2-2012. We shall always remember the day where Paladins ascended through the Light to become GODS.

Deleted
    "people who keep makeing threads saying everything is wrong with the game because of X and Y" or " the community" i know frinds(and my dad) who have quiet wow because of the some times rotten state of the community

In.

Your.

Opinion.

Same with Glitch's.

It's not a fact.

It's.

Your.

Opinion.
    At what point did I say "FACT" or "Confirmed"? Yes, it is MY opinion as a gamer who played these games well before WoW and remembers the way MMORPG's used to be, before they started watering them down for "instant gratification" players. Like I said, it's not about casual vs hardcore, it's about players thinking that they should be able to put in minimal effort and get the same reward as those who put in double.

problems with WoW:

-popularity and success on previous games can give developers a big head

-game design courses and strategy often talks about ways to make money rather than ways to make a good game; fun is thrown around far too much and is a very subjective word

-entitlement and "no one left behind" culture, it's easy to sell something to players who feel like they're advancing or are getting better at something, it's difficult to make players okay with losing or being bad to improve in today's world because it's a business world.

Games are dying because of business models. See: Music; Justin Beiber is a better musician than ______ because he makes millions of dollars, must be great music right?

Etc.

WoW isn't exclusive to it's problems. It's people who are the dumb ones. We're not patient and don't like to admit to being wrong or inexperienced, so we instead whine and blame until uniqueness and rewarding difficulty gets taken out and then you end up with people AFKing or auto attacking in LFR just to unsubscribe until the next content comes out, which is more LFR.

Heroic raiding is dying because there are much less new players trying to actually get good at the game, many new players end up getting mistaught while leveling and then are expected to know what goes on in normal and heroic modes, which is why LFR is the stopping point for them. They've seen the content, are satisfied enough with their victory, and don't care about the grueling torment of guild organization, strategy and metagaming tactics.

WoW is basically going to become a mini game fest. Sub losses may become more prominent over the years due to new players don't care to be a good player because they're rewarded for being sub par. Cataclysm was tuned too difficult for those more casual or new players, but LFR just makes things too easy and doesn't give any incentive to do better.

Etc.

Look up Jonathan Blow game design videos or Egoraptor's Megaman X sequelitis. Game design is about money and candy coated visuals nowadays, not about good games. The game industry needs to crash first and then restart their methods, players need to learn that losing or being at a novice level is okay, because the content matters. If you blow through content easily, you'll be bored. If you lose, you can always try to improve, but the idiots of today don't understand the importance of improvements or the meaning of content vs. difficulty.

That's just me though. The theorycrafting of problems in gaming just goes back to games being treated like just another product to sell rather than a piece of art to be successful on. Nostalgia isn't always the reason we feel like previous games or expansions were better, even though they could be better. Sometimes, overcoming obstacles feels good, and there's just much less of that difficulty curve than there used to be.
    Last edited by LTCrystallite; 2013-06-06 at 03:20 PM.
    Do not underestimate us.

Deleted
    In.

Your.

Opinion.

Same with Glitch's.

It's not a fact.

It's.

Your.

Opinion.
    And. This. Forum. Is. For. Posting. Your. Opinion.... Jesus..
    If this forum was only for posting FACTS then we wouldn't need it. Main page with news would be just enough.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Playerbase

Quote Originally Posted by Bane Falcon View Post
    Why does it matter whether or not someone gets the same thing from 2 hours a day or 2 hours a week? Neither seem like they'll be pushing end-game content and heroic progression. Let the casuals progress together in LFR.
    The reason it matters is because since Blizz started catering to the 2 hour a week crowd, we've gotten less content and more restrictions on it. Examples: Removal of split lockouts on 10 and 25 man raids, lower caps on VP. They are doing the same thing FFXIV did and finding ways to limit how much time you feel compelled to spend in game which is the exact opposite of how MMORPG's were originally designed. I don't care how much time people put into the game, that is not my point. But the game should be designed to make you WANT to log in daily, not in such a way that you can get everything you need done in 2 hours and not feel the urge to log in again for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Edeta View Post
    And. This. Forum. Is. For. Posting. Your. Opinion....
    Tell that to the majority who claim their opinion is fact.

Not saying you did Bearshield but that was the vibe I received when I read your post.

My apologies regardless.

People care because they can see the larger picture, and all the stupid design choices that go on in this game.

Deleted
    In.

Your.

Opinion.

Same with Glitch's.

It's not a fact.

It's.

Your.

Opinion.
    I think it's pretty much a fact that the age of the game leaking it's subs...not just the age of the game itself but the age of MMORPG's. When WoW grew big it had a really small customer base (compared to other franchises in general) but now theres 10 MMO RPG's for every letter in the alphabet.

If people didn't grew tired of WoW they grew tired of MMORPG's all being the same or failing at releasing a new concept.

On topic: 6 words... CROSSREALM Dungeon Tool / Looking For Raid.

You could do a better summary of the issues with wow by simply looking at this thread.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Edeta View Post
    And. This. Forum. Is. For. Posting. Your. Opinion....
    You can post your opinion all you want but don't go around toting it as a fact.

2 hours a day vs 2 hours a week. You will still make progress either way. But the person who plays more will always progress faster unless they are terrible about time management. It's not a bad thing to appeal to lots of people, despite what a lot of people think. If you can get someone to pay for a subscription and they only play 2 hours a week then why wouldn't you?

Because the more new and casual players you have that get insta loot from LFR, the less players that you get wanting to do normal or heroic raiding. Heroic raiding is dying because there fewer players who actually care about bettering themselves as players. They don't want to be better when the jump from queuing for insta-loot to strategic and organized guild raiding is so big. The game doesn't train you to get ready for raiding anymore.

Less players care about being good > less normal and heroic raiders.
    Do not underestimate us.