Page 1 of 28
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Mage] *OFFICIAL* Help my DPS thread

Dear mages,

in light of the huge number of “help” threads that have been opened recently and based on several messages I received on this issue, I’ve decided to open this dedicated thread for all your performance anxiety problems. I mean, DPS issues. Yes.

You can also learn something about reading logs and searching for information in them. The tips are just below this first post. Shoutout to Serene for setting that up. (It will be posted when Serene's free, within a day)

That being said, there are some ground rules which need to be followed for the success of this thread:

1. Always write which specialization the question is about.

2. Always link your character’s armory – if you are new to the forums and cannot yet post links then please write it like this: EU – Shangalar @ Ravencrest

3. Always try to post as much descriptive information about your problem as possible, including World of Logs links or data.

4. Do not ask rotational questions and basic stuff – most of that information is located within the respective guides that our forum users have written – you can find the links in my signature at the bottom of this post. This thread is for the specific stuff like “How to improve this dps macro?” or “When should I use this cooldown?” and stuff like that.

5. This is not a gear thread. The gear thread is another one which should be somewhere around here as well. You can find a link to that one in my signature.

6. Do not randomly come here to brag about how high your dps is or to show off your gear, unless you are 100% sure that you are helping others by doing so. Douchy behavior will be punished by Santa Claus putting you over his knees and slapping your butt with a pin roller. Also, there are infractions.

7. Be patient. The doctors will be with you as soon as they are available.

8. New threads which pop up in which people ask for dps help will be mercilessly closed and a chunk of the poster’s soul will be devoured by Swizzle.
    Last edited by Shangalar; 2013-06-06 at 05:23 PM.
    My magic will tear you apart.

Deleted
    The most important tabs to look at when you're studying logs are the "Buffs cast", "Buffs gained" and "Damage by spell". I will go into this later.

When you're looking through your Logs or through another Mage's logs, the things to look for are the following:

• Cooldown Usage - look at the length of the fight, see how many times they *could* have used the cooldowns (bearing in mind that using them at 0 also applies to most fights) and see how many times they actually did

• Buff/Debuff uptimes - For Mages this mainly applies to our Bomb talents (so Living Bomb or Nether Tempest uptimes), and the number on this uptime should be around 90-95% of their total uptime. For example, if they don't die and have 99.9% uptime, you'd want their Bomb uptime to be around 95% or thereabouts, assuming very good play. However, don't read lower numbers straight away as bad play - look at their overall uptime and compare it to that.

- With Buffs, you want to be looking at Invocation/Rune of Power/Incanter's Ward uptimes. These should be as high as possible, Incanter's Ward will be lower and it's less important to have at 90%+, but the higher, the better. RoP/Invocation should be as close to 100% as possible, but bear in mind the encounter when you're looking through this (mainly for RoP from that point of view).

- For Fire, Pyromaniac uptime is also very important
      - For Frost, Frostbolt debuff uptime is also very important

- Another note regarding Uptimes. You also want to look at how many times they are applying the specific debuff. In the case of Pyromaniac/Frostbolt it's irrelevant, but in the case of bomb uptimes and Invocation (count number of Evocation casts), it's more important. If people are clipping their bombs unnecessarily early to ensure higher uptime they're still losing some DPS as well as "wasting" a global, and if they are casting Evocation too much to ensure high uptime on the buff then it's even more of a loss. Continued clipping of DoTs means less globals spent on more powerful spells which can lead to a hefty DPS loss overall.

• The spells they are using. It sounds simple, but some people, for example, won't build Combustions properly and will get very low average Combustion ticks/crits, some people will over-use Arcane Blast and some won't use their Fingers of Frost/Brain Freeze procs properly. It's important to look at what they're using to comprise their main damage to see if they're playing properly.

This covers the basics, I'll have another run through and get more into specifics when I have a bit more time on my hands.
    Last edited by mmoc7cd3c912a5; 2013-06-07 at 02:16 PM.

Deleted
    hello I Play arcane and have always been, I'd say I'm doing quite ok, but durumu just seems to be going very badly for me. This is my armory eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/frostwhisper/Ekaterina/simple I'd welcome any feedback and help, I currently have 67% mastery with raidbuff and 14% haste without raidbuff, I literally reforged everything I could to mastery, apart from getting the hit cap which isn't a hard thing to achieve nowadays. Any other arcane mages that have had problems with putting out dps on durumu and managed to fix it please let me know what you did. cheers in advance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Durumu has always been a slight pain for Arcane because of the movement phases, but there are some cute ways in which you can do dps without suffering too much.

Firstly, take Glyph of Arcane Explosion for the fight.

Secondly, always make sure that you stand in the blue area during the light phases because you are powerless if you have to kite a beam. If the red or orange beam come on you, that sucks but then dps is also a secondary concern.

During the maze phases, keep up Nether Tempest and spam Arcane Explosion and Fire Blast on cooldown. Use Missiles if you have the manoeuvering space, you can always do at least two waves of missiles. Use Barrage at 4 stacks. This requires some practice, be careful and remember that surviving is your top priority there.

In the normal phases just stand in your rune and nuke, your cooldowns align neatly after every maze. Also, remember to use Power when it is off cooldown, it should be ready between the lights and maze phases.

Finally, I might suggest that you try to hit the 6414 haste breakpoint for an extra NT tick. For any rotational questions, feel free to consult the Arcane guide posted on this forum.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix99 View Post
    hello I Play arcane and have always been, I'd say I'm doing quite ok, but durumu just seems to be going very badly for me. This is my armory eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/frostwhisper/Ekaterina/simple I'd welcome any feedback and help, I currently have 67% mastery with raidbuff and 14% haste without raidbuff, I literally reforged everything I could to mastery, apart from getting the hit cap which isn't a hard thing to achieve nowadays. Any other arcane mages that have had problems with putting out dps on durumu and managed to fix it please let me know what you did. cheers in advance.
    I've had a peek through your Armory; and the main issue I see right now is that you're gemming inconsistently.

Either gem all-out Mastery and go for Mastery in all sockets (ie, Artful in Reds and Sensei's in Blues) or go all out for Intellect. As Mastery Arcane Mastery is your best all-out stat, so it's better to do the former here. Gemming inconsistently leads to an overall loss of secondary stats.

For the other tips related to Durumu, Shang's got it very close.

A "sneaky" tip you can try and take advantage of is to take Incanter's Ward and use the Purple puddles to consistently proc the buff. You'll suffer slightly lower uptime at the beginning of the fight but running over the puddles (aside from the slow) isn't as painful as it sounds and you can consistently proc it in the Spectrum and Maze phases. It's just a slight DPS loss on opener, but it makes it up for it in the other two phases in terms of buff uptime.

Another thing to take alongside Glyph of Arcane Explosion is to take Glyph of Cone of Cold - both require you to be running in melee range anyway so it's just an extra instant you can use which actually does very good damage. It won't generate you any Charges but that's not the overall goal of the Maze phase.

I would say if you're really trying to push for DPS on Durumu, it's best to take Living Bomb unless you're attempting it on Heroic. As this is the case, you'll want to go LB and reforge to 3039 Haste; or 5316 Haste if you don't have a Haste buff in your raids. You can clip LB from ~3 seconds remaining and still gain the explosion and can multi-dot the adds as they appear providing you're in range. It's a DPS loss to move to gain multi-dotting.

Hope this helps! Without logs can't really go into more detail I'm afraid.

Any suggestions for me? Herculenis on Hyjal server.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lenis/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by antiscian View Post
    Any suggestions for me? Herculenis on Hyjal server.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lenis/advanced
    "3. Always try to post as much descriptive information about your problem as possible, including World of Logs links or data."

Deleted

High Combustions - Seeking help/advice

Hello,
    I recently decided to change our raidsetup and to play a firemage going into tot hc. So I rushed to lvl 90 and already got a bit of gear on him and since I will be getting carried on that toon through 12/12 I decided to learn fire immediately to get it down optimally and slow the heroic progress as little as possible for us.

So that means I am doing the fire rotation on very low ilvls (488) and I understand is not competitive on this level etc. However the issue I encounter with my combustion is unrelated to that issue.

It doesn't matter if I have 4 pyros, 5,6 or even 7 instant pyros in a row. The combustion dot will be pretty much the same. The only real difference I can see in my combustions is wether the last procpyro critted or not. At first I thought my haste was so low, that my gcd was too long to keep the ignite from ticking at all and thus loosing in potency as quickly as I would "build" it. By now I have around 3k haste and given, that we only go for 5063 and that is because of an extra tick for combustion I think the problem with my combustions lies with me.

This is exactly what I do to "burst" although due to low crit level it might take a while before it will actually happen:

Fireball until I have heating up.
    I queue another fireball and hit Inferno Blast immediately giving me Pyroblast!
    I queue another fireball until i get heating up (keeping pyroblast)
    Once I have Heating up + Pyroblast (and made sure my bomb won't run out midway)
    I queue the last fireball.
    As soon as the cast finishes I press my alter time macro (/presence of mind /cast alter time /cast pyroblast)
    I spam pyros until I threw the PoM pyro.
    After PoM pyro I immediately activate the alter time macro again thus cancelling it early ( I made sure that I was pressing quick enough to reset within the GCD so there is no delay to be found here. Pyroblast! comes as soon as the gcd from the previous pom pyro is over)
    I spam as many pyros until I throw the PoM pyro.

As the PoM pyro flies I check my ignite level via combustion helper, if it is unusually low for whatever reason I combust after the PoM pyro hit. If it is normal I combust immediately ( this will result in combusting before the last pompyro is actually registered but most of the time this still yields a higher combustion, but I would still love input on this one from experienced fire mages )

Going through the log I would see ignite ticking 2-3 times while spamming all those pyroblasts and thus at the end I reach a pyro mostly around 25k. The absolute best on the dummy selfbuffed was 37k ( crit ticks of course ).

Checking with simcraft it seems, that simcraft is somehow able to dish out combustion ticks that are twice as high as mine unless I read it wrong.

Is ignite supposed to tick? I thought the point of spamming all those pyros was to get insanely high ignites and for that to happen obviously ignite cannot be allowed to tick, so why does mine?

Strangely enough in raidsituations I already had 60k-80k crit combustion ticks without the encounter buffing me. So I wonder - what am I doing wrong on the dummy?

If you want a video of my rotation I can make one.

Armory:
    http:/ /eu.battle.net/wow/de/character/nethersturm/Ibuki/advanced

Deleted
    First off, the main problem for your low combustions is your gear, it's not really viable for fire.
    The other problems are that you pretty much always want to line up all of your intellect procs when using combustion, it helps shit loads.
    "I combust after the PoM pyro hit" - DON'T. The PoM pyro will do 25% less damage due to not having the damage increase from the buff, which in most cases will lead to an ignite of a lower value.
    Get professions, either tailoring + Engineeringor Engineering + Blacksmithing if you can afford it.

Deleted
    This would not explain the difference between my combustions and simc simulated combustions with my char. Nor does it explain why there is no difference between 4 ( minimal amount ) and 7 pyroblasts ( even when I hit combustion before the PoM pyro ). As I stated my combustion is literally determined completely wether my last pyroblast! crits or not. In the case of firing 7 pyros having a couple of pyros crit is already mandatory, but this doesn't change the outcome.

Let me explain further:
    I have HU+Pyroblast!
    I queue fireball -> p! -> p! crit -> combust -> pom pyro
    yields the same combustion level as:
    I have HU+Pyroblast!
    I queue fireball -> p! -> p! -> pom pyro -> p! -> p! crit-> combust -> pom pyro.

How can those two have the same power? That renders my alter time effectively useless and also net me a lower combustion if I have like 3 crit pyros -> alter time and no crit pyros into combust instead of immediately combusting after those 3 crits.

I am not expecting 200k combustions here, I am seeking an explanation how in the very same gear doing hundreds of openers I will literally always get 25k combustion crit ticks and sometimes 40k. Even HT only amounts to RARELY 5k extra combustion dmg on crit.

Without changing gear my combustions dot crits range from 25k ( average ) to 80k. Even given, that 80k was in a raid enviroment, raidbuffs do not amount to this difference.

This is why it shouldn't have gone into this thread, but instead remain a second topic. It isn't about fixing my dps it is about explaining the combustion & ignite mechanic properly, because clearly the fire guide does not.

If the fire mage had all the knowledge about ignite & combustion, then this problem could not occur regardless of ilvl.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because Ignite only lasts 4 seconds which, based on our haste levels, means that only the most recent couple of spells before Combustion will count for Combustion.

Fireball crit = ignite 4 seconds
    Pyro! = ignite 4 seconds (3 seconds remaining from fireball damage)
    Pyro! = ignite 4 seconds (3 seconds remaining from previous Pyro and 2 seconds from fireball damage)
    Whatever = ignite 4 seconds (3 from Pyro, 2 from previous Pyro and 1 from Fireball)

Now, based on your haste levels, at this point the damage from Fireball will have already dropped off because the global cooldown is somewhere around 1.4 seconds. What I wrote above is in an ideal situation where you have only 1 second on the GCD. You can do that only during Time Warp I think.

So chaining 6 spells is near-pointless, the only thing that will maximize your combustion is chaining 3-4 Pyro critical strikes during all trinket/enchant/whatever procs. The reason why it's better to combust after Alter Time is the current set bonus (T15) gives you increased stats after Alter Time ends. Also, the point of Alter Time is to allow you to chain 4 Pyroblasts in a row which would otherwise be impossible.

edit: corrected myself on the Ignite duration two posts below.
    Last edited by Shangalar; 2013-06-09 at 02:25 AM.

Deleted
    If this is indeed true, then why would you let the firemage guide stand as is?

This explains very well, why I had the feeling pressing alter time made no difference, because it actually didnt. I still strongly suggest adding this information directly into the fire guide, because reading it will give you the impression, that you should only combust after you fired your last pom pyro, which is not even true.

If you land 3 crit pyros before alter time you might aswell combust there because it is likely to have less p! pyros critted. Well not less likely, but you would have to take chances.

Why isnt it explained in this fashion:
    Have HU+Pyroblast! ready
    Fireball -> macro -> p! (until you run out of p!) -> pom pyro
    at this point you evaluate. If you had 3x p! in total combust immediately if you had bad luck:
    fireball -> at will cancel -> p! (until you run out)-> pom pyro -> combust.

Are you sure your information is valid because I see the ignite dot length refreshing to 6 seconds, when I had ignite previously on the target. If it was like you stated, why wouldn't I see "several" ignite debuffs, since apparently they run out on a different timer.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are correct, Ignite gets a duration extension. This comment from Wowhead sums it up nicely:

"When Mastery: Ignite is refreshed (i.e. shortly after any relevant spell hits), it distributes the remaining damage plus new damage to tick 3 times every 2 seconds for 6 seconds. The tick timer is not reset however, it just adds one or two additional ticks to make it 3 ticks. For the highest Ignite (and then highest Combustion), you need to land as many high-damage spells (ideally crits) within 6 seconds as possible, for instance a regular Fireball, followed by a Hot-Streak Pyroblast and then maybe an instant Inferno Blast and/or POM Pyroblast to top it off."

But this still only allows for a maximum of 5 spells to affect Combustion. Without serious haste procs it's only 4 spells. Remember that the spell has to fly to the target and the server needs to calculate the damage and reapply Ignite. This takes time.
    Last edited by Shangalar; 2013-06-09 at 02:27 AM.

Deleted
    So moving closer to the boss would also increase my combustion damage as it shortens the traveltime and might allow to squeeze in one more spell before a tick.

This is valuable information and make the mechanic a whole lot more transparent. Thanks a lot, will think about it while going to bed and torture you with a couple more questions tomorrow :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Just remember one more thing. Ignite from one single spell always lasts only 4 seconds. The extra two seconds are just a security measure to prevent ignite munching.

Example:
    Pyro! leaves a 40k ignite. That means that it does 10k dps. Ignite has 2 ticks so it's 20k damage per tick, one at 2 seconds remaining and one at zero.

Second Pyro! adds 60k damage, or 15k dps. The duration of Ignite is extended to 6 seconds.

The first Ignite already did half of its damage so it has 20k left to do. The new ignite added 60k for a total of 80k damage, now split into three ticks over 6 seconds. (thats 27k per tick).

The next spell didn't crit or whatever and adds a 20k ignite and refreshes the duration to 6 seconds. But, the previous ignite already ticked once and now has 54k to do + 20k of the new one, again split into three ticks for let's say 25k each).

Do you see how it works now? It is indeed better to Combust after a smaller amount of more powerful spells.

Ignite from a certain spell certainly does not only last for 4 or even 6 seconds. Each spell that hits is added to the ignite bank which is then divided by three for each tick of ignite. If you refresh ignite the new ignite will tick 3 times for one-third of the ignite bank and two-thirds of the the ignite bank will remain in the bank. So if you keep refreshing ignite the contribution from your first spell (of, hypothetically, 100k) will look like this:

0 seconds - spell hits (100k in ignite bank)
    2 seconds - ignite ticks (50k from first spell in bank)
    3 seconds - ignite is refreshed (50k from first spell in bank)
    4s - ignite ticks (50k*(2/3) = 33.33k from first spell still in bank)
    5s - ignite is refreshed (33.33k from first spell in bank)
    6s - ignite ticks (33.33k*(2/3) = 22.22k from first spell still in bank)
    7s - ignite is refreshed (22.22k from first spell in bank)
    8s - ignite ticks (22.22k*(2/3) = 14.81k from first spell still in bank)
    9s - ignite is refreshed (14.81k from first spell in bank)
    10s - ignite ticks for 14.81k/3 = 4.94k from first spell

So 10s after a spell that adds 100k to ignite hits, that spell is still contributing 4.94k a tick to ignite, which is not negligible, assuming you are casting fast enough.
    Last edited by Aantu; 2013-06-09 at 05:43 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappus View Post
    -snip-
    First and foremost, do not trust SimCraft Data. SimCraft will adjust to different situations differently and across 10,000 iterations RNG is not a factor, it is however a factor with you.

SimC is fine to work out mathematical stat weights and therefore "optimal" reforging, but honestly beyond that it's very difficult to trust the raw output data it gives.

Secondly; your issue can be fixed quite easily by tracking your Pyroblasts more effectively.

You have a ~4-5 second window in which you can build an Ignite properly for a Combustion. In order to maximise this damage you would ideally want 3/4 Pyroblast! crits, and ideally NO PoM Pyros - this is because PoM Pyros are hitting/critting for 15% less.
    If you set up more efficient tracking of your Pyroblasts! so that you know when they're critting aside from bigger numbers appear on your screen, you'll find judging a Combustion much easier. An "ideal" Combustion assuming you have the correct number of GCDs available is comprised of 4 Pyroblast! crits, no more or no less. Your GCD will not be 1s so 4*1.2 = 4.8s giving you a very small window in which to Combust in. It's tight, but it's doable if you're good enough.
    In an ideal situation, you never want to be using your PoM Pyro. In all honesty it's no longer "needed" for Fire, anyway. It's more of a playstyle choice.

Another thing is, on the dummy you will not benefit from plenty of things. I highly doubt you're pre-potting, flasked or fed on a dummy. Another thing to consider is that in a raid situation, assuming you have all raid buffs your Ignites are 8% stronger, which by default makes your Combustions 8% stronger as well.
    If you're getting 30-40K Combustion ticks on average at 488 iLvl you're doing OK. Just wait for more gear and see what happens then.

Quote Originally Posted by Aantu View Post
    Ignite from a certain spell certainly does not only last for 4 or even 6 seconds. Each spell that hits is added to the ignite bank which is then divided by three for each tick of ignite. If you refresh ignite the new ignite will tick 3 times for one-third of the ignite bank and two-thirds of the the ignite bank will remain in the bank. So if you keep refreshing ignite the contribution from your first spell (of, hypothetically, 100k) will look like this:

0 seconds - spell hits (100k in ignite bank)
    2 seconds - ignite ticks (50k from first spell in bank)
    3 seconds - ignite is refreshed (50k from first spell in bank)
    4s - ignite ticks (50k*(2/3) = 33.33k from first spell still in bank)
    5s - ignite is refreshed (33.33k from first spell in bank)
    6s - ignite ticks (33.33k*(2/3) = 22.22k from first spell still in bank)
    7s - ignite is refreshed (22.22k from first spell in bank)
    8s - ignite ticks (22.22k*(2/3) = 14.81k from first spell still in bank)
    9s - ignite is refreshed (14.81k from first spell in bank)
    10s - ignite ticks for 14.81k/3 = 4.94k from first spell

So 10s after a spell that adds 100k to ignite hits, that spell is still contributing 4.94k a tick to ignite, which is not negligible, assuming you are casting fast enough.
    While your logic (though complex) seems correct, in the context of building Combustions it's completely irrelevant.

The whole point of Combustion building is to create as large an Ignite tick as possible and Combust that value. To do so, you only have a small window to do so otherwise you're losing too much value off your Ignite to make the Combustion worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Serene View Post
    First and foremost, do not trust SimCraft Data. SimCraft will adjust to different situations differently and across 10,000 iterations RNG is not a factor, it is however a factor with you.

SimC is fine to work out mathematical stat weights and therefore "optimal" reforging, but honestly beyond that it's very difficult to trust the raw output data it gives.

Secondly; your issue can be fixed quite easily by tracking your Pyroblasts more effectively.

You have a ~4-5 second window in which you can build an Ignite properly for a Combustion. In order to maximise this damage you would ideally want 3/4 Pyroblast! crits, and ideally NO PoM Pyros - this is because PoM Pyros are hitting/critting for 15% less.
    If you set up more efficient tracking of your Pyroblasts! so that you know when they're critting aside from bigger numbers appear on your screen, you'll find judging a Combustion much easier. An "ideal" Combustion assuming you have the correct number of GCDs available is comprised of 4 Pyroblast! crits, no more or no less. Your GCD will not be 1s so 4*1.2 = 4.8s giving you a very small window in which to Combust in. It's tight, but it's doable if you're good enough.
    In an ideal situation, you never want to be using your PoM Pyro. In all honesty it's no longer "needed" for Fire, anyway. It's more of a playstyle choice.

Another thing is, on the dummy you will not benefit from plenty of things. I highly doubt you're pre-potting, flasked or fed on a dummy. Another thing to consider is that in a raid situation, assuming you have all raid buffs your Ignites are 8% stronger, which by default makes your Combustions 8% stronger as well.
    If you're getting 30-40K Combustion ticks on average at 488 iLvl you're doing OK. Just wait for more gear and see what happens then.

While your logic (though complex) seems correct, in the context of building Combustions it's completely irrelevant.

The whole point of Combustion building is to create as large an Ignite tick as possible and Combust that value. To do so, you only have a small window to do so otherwise you're losing too much value off your Ignite to make the Combustion worth it.
    THANK YOU!!! I kept wondering why my Ignites were horrid, even at ilvl 526 and above. I very rarely got above a 120K Ignite before hitting Combustion, and now I know the reason. I used PoM as directed in so many forum posts, and you showed that it's irrelevant to building a huge Ignite/Combustion.

I'm going to adjust my macros and then start working on getting better.

Again, thank you, and thank you to everyone on MMO-Champion, who have been so amazingly helpful!!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lkder/advanced

edit - oops... I missed some of the rules.... Worgen Fire Mage, and my logs, both pathetic and just dismal, can be found here: http://www.wow-heroes.com/character/...eras/Vaelkder/

Last edited by Vaelkder; 2013-06-09 at 08:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    PoM Pyro is a way to ensure that Pyroblast is the only spell influencing Combustion because even without Hot Streak, Pyro hits harder than Fireball.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shangalar View Post
    PoM Pyro is a way to ensure that Pyroblast is the only spell influencing Combustion because even without Hot Streak, Pyro hits harder than Fireball.
    This is correct, but there's a good reason why I don't play with a PoM macro and instead activate it myself

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelkder View Post
    -snip-
    PoM Pyro usage won't the difference between good/bad Ignites, it's just the difference between good and insane Ignites. Back when I was playing Fire I think my average on-pull Combustion was in the region of 100K ticks; it just depends on whether procs align and whether RNG is in your favour, to be honest.

I've had a brief peek through your logs and the biggest things to work on look to be your uptimes, sort those out first then work on building larger Ignites. Gotta walk before you can run
    Last edited by mmoc7cd3c912a5; 2013-06-09 at 11:36 PM.