Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Mage] *OFFICIAL* Help my Gear thread

Dear mages,

in a continued effort to reduce the clutter on our forums, I am using this opportunity to open a dedicated thread for any and all questions related to gear, gearing, gear choices and anything related.

For this to work, some rules must be set:

1. Always write which specialization the question is about.

2. Always link your character’s armory – if you are new to the forums and cannot yet post links then please write it like this: EU – Shangalar @ Ravencrest

3. Always try to post as much descriptive information about your problem as possible.

4. For stat priority questions, please visit the dedicated guides stickied at the top of our forums or click on one of the links in my signature.

5. This is not a “help my dps” thread. That thread is somewhere around our forums. You can find a link to that one in my signature.

6. Be patient. If you can wait weeks for a new episode of your favourite TV show and if you can wait years for the next A Song of Ice and Fire novel, you can also wait a couple of hours for someone to answer your question.

7. New threads which pop up in which people ask for help with gear will be closed and Cthulhu will visit the posters while they sleep.
    Example questions:

- I can’t decide between these two items because...?
    - Is the set bonus worth losing...?

And whatever else you think of.
    My magic will tear you apart.

Deleted
    People don't like to spend hours looking through 100 pages of out dated information though, that's why they make new threads.. oO

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind people asking the same question 200 times over and over again if all 200 times are in one dedicated thread

Deleted
    Since there are quite a few talented frosties hanging around these forums I wanna ask if anyone has done a thorough testing and managed to rank current trinkets for us.
    I have through various forums got the the impression we rank them something like:
    BotH >= Wusholay > Cha Ye's > Light of Cosmos HC > LFR BotH > LFR Wusholay > LFR Cha Ye's > SPA-trink > Relic > Lei Shen-trink

Keeping in mind I'm only talking Frost here.

Is this somewhat accurate or have I completely been misled in my beliefs?
    How much of a difference will I get from using the top2 together over 1 of them and Cha Ye's?
    I would love to get some simmed feedback as I am crap with the program, cheers!

Not sure if this would go here or on the DPS thread but I have been toying with changing specs and wanted some advice. My Armory link is here:

us.battle.net/wow/en/character/lothar/Pyroblayze/advanced

I have ran simcrafts but I just dont trust it. I currently play frost but am wondering if with my gear I should try either Arcane or Fire? Our guild is working on HToT fights so I am leaning towards Fire but just not sure. I do decent DPS on most fights on normal. Thanks in advance!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyroblayze View Post
    Not sure if this would go here or on the DPS thread but I have been toying with changing specs and wanted some advice. My Armory link is here:

us.battle.net/wow/en/character/lothar/Pyroblayze/advanced

I have ran simcrafts but I just dont trust it. I currently play frost but am wondering if with my gear I should try either Arcane or Fire? Our guild is working on HToT fights so I am leaning towards Fire but just not sure. I do decent DPS on most fights on normal. Thanks in advance!
    Your gear is fine to go either Arcane or Fire; and both have their strengths and weaknesses in HToT, I would personally say just play whichever of the two you prefer. Frost will be fine, too, even for HToT raiding provided you know what you're doing and can maximise your DPS potential a lot. I would talk to Akraen or Kuni or Pete about this, though.

At my estimates you could get to ~11.5K crit (possibly more depending on reforges) as Fire, which results in ~36% crit raid buffed, which is plenty high enough, and as Arcane you have the gear to play HArcane which is fine as you have double RPPM trinkets and the Legendary Meta.

It's honestly just a matter of playstyle choice, you shouldn't find too many troubles in pulling numbers assuming you're playing any of the specs correctly.

Deleted
    Hi!
    with my current gear : eu.battle.net/wow/fr/character/dalaran/Sherog/advanced

I was wondering if i should go for the 7073 haste cap or if i should just get the 5036 haste cap and then reforge in mastery?

I can't seem to see what will be best...

Thanks in advance.
    Sherog.

P.S : sorry for the "bad" link but i can't post link yet

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sherog View Post
    Hi!
    with my current gear : eu.battle.net/wow/fr/character/dalaran/Sherog/advanced

I was wondering if i should go for the 7073 haste cap or if i should just get the 5036 haste cap and then reforge in mastery?

I can't seem to see what will be best...

Thanks in advance.
    Sherog.

P.S : sorry for the "bad" link but i can't post link yet
    Mathematically going for 5036 -> Mastery is highest potential DPS.

Hello, my MS is Frost.

us.battle.net/wow/en/character/drakthul/coldvibes/advanced

Although I have no RPPM Trinkets, I've simmed out my stat weights and it says I should be starting to push for raw Haste gemming, I'd like a second opinion from teh proz.

Thanks

Hey everyone,

Quick question about Frost Mage gear. I picked up the heroic thunderforged gloves from Jin'rohk last night and am basically wondering if equipping them and losing 4-piece bonus would be worth it? Don't have tier helm to use yet, so should I wait until I *hopefully* get that before using the gloves?

Can't use links yet, but toon is Logathil on US Zul'Jin. (Have the gloves equipped now because I was playing around with stats after raid) Also, let me know if there is anything else I should change.

Also have heroic legs from Jin'Rohk, but the idea of 2 hit+mastery pieces makes me cringe. Thanks in advance everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    Quick question:
    how close are Soulblade of the Breaking Storm, sword, hc
    and Venomlord's Totemic Wand, wand, hc?
    Im asking only for humans, and only for fire spec.

Thx

So I got those 2 options, which one's better?
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=95473 +
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=96404/ve...s-totemic-wand

vs

http://www.wowhead.com/item=96401/di...tbinding-spire

None of those items is thunderforged, also, consider all of them to be 2/2 upgraded.

Fire mage.

Mh + Oh - crit and overall more int(also crit), same sp.

Further improve with heroic offhand make the combo even better

Deleted
    Hello,

Arcane mage, which trinket between Cha-Ye (530) and Wush (535) ? I guess it'll be Wush...? Other trinket is Breath of the Hydra (543). If Wush really is better, I'll upgrade it next week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely Wush because of it having a passive stat which is more useful than Crit and the proc is amazing in the following way:

Last 6 seconds of the proc = superpower missiles, superpower missiles, refresh NT (wush + other procs + arcane power = roflstomp), another superpower missiles hopefully, superpower 1 million barrage crit.

Deleted
    Okay, thanks dude, I'll upgrade it next week!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Serendepityz View Post
    Frost Spec http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...atyle/advanced (long term plans of Arcane MS)
    what would be better current MH+OH setup? or http://www.wowhead.com/item=98261/im...pandaren-staff Feverflare (haste+mastery)
    I would go for staff providing you 2/2 it. Also turn off that ugly helm graphic :P

Deleted
    OK have a hard time deceding here.

Fire mage.

My char:
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Lactia/simple

I am currently using 4-set with shoulders as off-piece. Got them pretty early, so never bothered to get the tier shoulders.

My dilemma is that I coined:
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=96771 - Upgraded twice of course.

I'm 1% over the hit cap and have no other gear to switch around with. With the head I could get some more stats, and not be too much over the hit cap. Problem is that I would lose my 4-set.

Should I use the new head or stay with my current gear set?

Quote Originally Posted by jimme View Post
    OK have a hard time deceding here.

Fire mage.

My char:
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Lactia/simple

I am currently using 4-set with shoulders as off-piece. Got them pretty early, so never bothered to get the tier shoulders.

My dilemma is that I coined:
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=96771 - Upgraded twice of course.

I'm 1% over the hit cap and have no other gear to switch around with. With the head I could get some more stats, and not be too much over the hit cap. Problem is that I would lose my 4-set.

Should I use the new head or stay with my current gear set?
    Sty with your current gear, your 4 set is too strong to break, but work on getting the shoulder piece as soon as you can as that heroic tforged head is your BiS offpiece, and you should switch to that when possible