Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Need to gain weight, need advice!

Well i am a 27 year old dude thats 178cm / 5''10 and my weight is 55kg / 121,2 lbs and would like to gain another 15 kg for my 70kg total goal.

I would also like to become more flexible especially with my legs, since i have knee and feet pains in the joins, or rather it rarely hurts but mostly makes crackling noices.

My food habits for a week is pretty poor, i mostly eat pizza 3 days a week with the others being kebab / burgers for lunch.
    In mornings i eat 1 Litre yogurt and some other good for stomach thing.
    my late evening snack is sandwiches! i do those french looking long ones with a ton of butter and cheese and sometimes ham, i like those alot.
    i use up a large cheese (1kg 28%) and a (0.6kg 70%) butter pack in less than 14 days.
    I also dring loads of coca cola like 1 - 2 litre a day depending on temp outside and work load.
    and i also drink pear juice to, like 1 litre a day.

What am i doing wrong and what can i improve to gain weight?

PS, i never ever get hungry even if sometimes can go without food for days. its like i don't have that feeling.
    I'm a stranger, I'm a changer.
    And I'm danger... maybe...

http://youtu.be/dNEtnyAm6S4

10+ Year Old Account
    Take some of my body mass ...

Hell ... take ALL of it! :'(

10+ Year Old Account
    In the morning you eat 1 litre of yogurt..... I am guessing you want to put on muscle so work out?! lol and eat lots of protein to help build muscle/ repair quicker, and eating "better" will help you too.

10+ Year Old Account
    You eat all the wrong stuff :P
    By reading what you are saying, you're going for "Well, this unhealthy stuff makes people fat, let's eat a lot of it".

That way, you will gain FAT in a very very unhealthy way. You'll end up being a skinny legged/armed guy with a huge bulk of fat on your hips. I'm assuming that's not your goal.

Try eating more pasta's, do some lifting. You'll grow more steady and in a healthy way.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clockworks View Post
    Well i am a 27 year old dude thats 178cm / 5''10 and my weight is 55kg / 121,2 lbs and would like to gain another 15 kg for my 70kg total goal.

I would also like to become more flexible especially with my legs, since i have knee and feet pains in the joins, or rather it rarely hurts but mostly makes crackling noices.

My food habits for a week is pretty poor, i mostly eat pizza 3 days a week with the others being kebab / burgers for lunch.
    In mornings i eat 1 Litre yogurt and some other good for stomach thing.
    my late evening snack is sandwiches! i do those french looking long ones with a ton of butter and cheese and sometimes ham, i like those alot.
    i use up a large cheese (1kg 28%) and a (0.6kg 70%) butter pack in less than 14 days.
    I also dring loads of coca cola like 1 - 2 litre a day depending on temp outside and work load.
    and i also drink pear juice to, like 1 litre a day.

What am i doing wrong and what can i improve to gain weight?

PS, i never ever get hungry even if sometimes can go without food for days. its like i don't have that feeling.
    With what you are eating you will most likely put on fat instead of muscle.
    Also have you ever gotten your thyroid checked? You could have hyperthyroidism, meaning your overactive metabolism is burning up all of those extra calories.

Once you get your health situation checked out, my advice is to eat 5 healthy meals per day and start lifting weights/exercising.
    For your three main meals, eat lean protein, complex carbs and plenty of vegetables.
    Your 2 other meals should be lean protein and complex carbs.

Also you might want to go see a nutritionist on the off chance that I have no idea what I am talking about
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

10+ Year Old Account
    I forgett to add this to, i also eat a big dish of pasta like 1 or 2 times a week.
    As for the other pizza, burgers etc i eat those for i like em, when i order the pizza i ask for less cheese and i only use ketchup on my burgers.
    reasons for fast food is my lack of time during the day and lack of will to prep for the next day.

I also use Gainer, Protein,omega 3 pills etc, but i usually end up failing to use em every day.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    as a short advice, i will recommend you to go to a gym. This is the start. If you don't know what to eat, how much to eat, when to sleep and when to drink , then you will NOT need a nutritionist, but just to allow some time for yourself to do some research. It will be improper for you to follow an advice like eat that do that and get PROTEIN. Just don't. If you just want to add shitty fat to your belly just to have more weight then eat whatever you want. If you want to do something with your body try bodybuilding.com and take your time.
    This will involve also some $ so you will need a budget. Eating right and adding the right supplements does cost a bit, at least in my country.
    So my advice is to go to gym, set up a meal plan, you will find plenty on that website, choose right exercises at the gym ( as trainers they will def. help you) and last, supplements.
    I don't know if you understand but anyway you can pm me if you want

Deleted
    I have noticed that sitting makes people fat! ...need to start moving. (<200cm >100kg)

Anyway stomach likes to stretch the more you eat at a time, and next day you will feel hungrier and hungier. If you are used to eating little amount in a day the hunger fealing stays away specially if not doing alot of physical exercise. I'd check those cracking joints at doctor before getting super heavy on getting mass. Weight lifting etc exercises are good but it just takes time of getting that muscle mass, fat in general is just bad. The muscle needs protein to grow and junk food don't have much of it, meat, eggs and merry products on the other hand have (body builders EAT ALOT + take supplement protein in powder form (milkshakes etc)). Mass gain powders etc. usually are just sugar. It's a fine balance so the excess protein wont turn to excess fat. +few years of age and the fat will come.
    Last edited by mmoc198caea9b6; 2013-06-06 at 06:11 PM.

Deleted
    gym is the best way to gain some muscle/weight, you dont need fat, skiny with a big belly .. lol no offense, just go to gym 3 times a week, get some good proteins and eat a lot(small meals, every 2-3 hours) food that has a lot of protein, chicken breast, fish(tuna), cheese with low fat, tofu, beans, eggs, nuts you name it, in 1 month you will notice a difference, trust me, i was around 66 kg's and 183 cm's i was looking like sh*t, 1 month i gained 4 kg's, and all my body starts to look great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eating a lot of nuts really helps you accumulate protein, which is what you need to put on body weight as muscles. A friend of mine at Uni brings a lot of nuts to lectures because he has to gain weight for his rowing bracket.

10+ Year Old Account
    Either you're trollling, or you don't understand how to gain weight. Eat the proper foods, almost like you're trying to lose weight... except you need to eat more of them. But you also need to work out. Gaining weight should be done in a healthy manner.

Deleted
    55 kg lol, I lift that much on the butterfly machine. well eat a lot I guess, lots of carbohydrates

Deleted
    eating without training will result in getting fat.. and ot, no one cares how much you lift.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry for being away, been busy.

Keep the advice comming.
    I shall take a look on my habits and try to eat some more real stuff. byw the ''fast food'' i eat here is really good quuality and not some thing you get at say mac donalds.
    The place i get burgers at is a small shack that makes them with care 1 at a time.
    The pizza is the same deal, and i order them with more ham and less cheese.

I also started running abit some days a week with my sister (she goes to gym 3 times a week and invited me to show of, did not go as she expected as i run circles around her and i did not loose my breath as fast as she did!)Suprised me to tbh.

I also think i shall make a appointment with a doctor and get myself tested out for cholestrol levels etc.
    I even heard that you get a really good estimate these days thx to some new scanning tech that calculates it around your bone mass and other stuff insted of the old school way of taking a length measure and saying what weight is normal.

How many calories are you really eating on a daily basis? I guarantee it's a lot less than you think you are eating. Sign up on a calorie tracking website like myfitnesspal and start accurately measuring and recording your daily calorie intake.

If you want to put on quality mass #1 you need to start lifting weights. #2 your caloric intake needs to be adequate. The minimums to consume can be roughly stated as 1 gram of protein for each lb of body mass and roughly .45 grams of fat per lb of body mass. So currently you need to consume at a minimum of 121 grams of protein and 55 grams of fat each day. Total daily caloric intake you be roughly 20x body weight so that is 2420 calories per day. The minimums for protein and fat only account for 979 calories, so your remaining calories of 1441 should come from any combination of protein, carbs and fats.

Eat according to those guidelines along with lifting weights and re-evaluate your weight after 2 weeks. If the weight isn't moving in the direction that you were hoping for, add an additional 300 calories per day then re-evaluate in another week. Keep doing this until you are happy with the progress. 1 pound per week would be pretty ideal at your current weight imo.

I was 173 cm and 56 kg 1½ years ago. I just were at home, didn't work very much physically, eat anything that tasted good, healthiness hasn't been very important to me for a long time. Now I'm 174 cm and 69 kg. Eat what tastes good, and enjoy your life.

Ok... wow. Drinking 1-2 liters of soda a day is not the answer to put on weight.

I'm 19 years old, 136lbs. 265 bench press, 29" chest, 15" arms, 21" thighs.

Join the gym, I'll give you a link to the very first workout/diet routine I followed when I was first getting into bodybuilding 2 years ago. Stretch everyday pre and post workout and you will become more flexible. Get on a workout routine and you will notice yourself gaining mass, if you have never worked out before, you will gain it fast. Stick with it. Give it 4 weeks and you will see yourself change. Give it 8 weeks and your friends will start noticing a change. Give it 12 weeks and so will everyone else.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/shortcut-to-size.html

GL

10+ Year Old Account
    Please consult your doctor. He will be able to give you some pointers, refer you to a nutritionist if he sees the need and he'll also want to take a look at your joint thingy, from the sound of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    There's this concept called "fun." I know it's foreign to most of the people on this forum, but perhaps you should look into it; there's a school of thought that suggests it's integral to why people play games.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had the same problem for a while, I'm the same height but was 110. Over a year I just gorged on healthy food (so lean meat, veggies, A LOT OF CARBS like rice, bread, pasta, etc.) 6 times a day. Eating 6 smaller meals a day rather than 3 big ones a day is better for your metabolism and will gain you a lot of weight.

Muscle weighs more than fat, so go to a gym or do something that works you out intensely every day (try and work out 4 times a week at a minimum) but make sure you're eating more calories than you're burning them or you'll be in a weight limbo. To do this you have to pre-make yourself food and refrigerate it so you're not cooking 24/7. So get some Tupperware and get cooking. Try to make your own food as much as you can.

I've been doing this and I gained 40 pounds of muscle after a little more than a year... although recently I got lazy and dropped back to 140 (x
    Last edited by -Zait-; 2013-06-15 at 10:08 PM.

Oats, Eggs, and Flaxmeal for breakfast

Chicken breast/tuna/other lean meats/fish with some fibrous veggies for lunch.

More of the above for dinner.

Greek yogurt, nuts, fresh fruit(in moderation) and cottage cheese are great for snacks. If you're having trouble finding ways to fit in a meal, don't be afraid to use supplements, but remember, Food > powder.

The only time it matters WHEN you eat, is pre and post-workout. the whole 6 meal a day things has been proven to provide no difference.

Find a gym cycle that works for you. Aim to lift 3-4 days a week if you're a beginner. Run 2-3 days a week if you're just starting out. Use free weights, not machines. Start small, don't kill yourself in the first week. EAT SOME FUCKING VEGGIES. Stay the fuck away from white breads, look for whole, and better yet, sprouted grains. Indulge yourself once a week or 2 weeks, not once a day, and don't go to crazy when you do it.

Eat less carbs, and more protein, but don't cut carbs completely. Stay away from refined sugars.
    All you need to do to gain weight is eat more calories than you're burning + get yourself to a gym.

Stay dedicated and good luck OP.
    Last edited by Tranix; 2013-06-15 at 10:17 PM.