Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What is good/average uptime on blood shield.

Just curious. I checked out a few logs and noticed anywhere from 45-55. Is that pretty much average? I just picked up DK tanking again, And I did Sha of Anger of all things. Noticed I was at 46% with blood shield. I do lag somewhat on the boss and wasn't put quite the effort I would if say tanking TOT. Just curious.

Deleted
    depents on boss, doenst really matter. the value and timing compared to dmg income counts more

As Hafizah said, it's not something that you strive for lots of uptime on so much as making sure you have Death Strikes ready when needed. An example would be a fight like Durumu - it's better that you have a shield right before Hard Stare, and runes to DS again right after, than just spamming DS whenever you can for maximum uptime.

Blood Shield uptime varies a lot so ehh nothing to look at really.

A number you can look at is Death Strikes per minute which should be at 10+
    Last edited by Nillo; 2013-06-06 at 10:40 PM.

hmm wonder how i view that on skada or world of logs

You use a calculator.

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    A number you can look at is Death Strikes per minute which should be at 10+
    10+ for a haste build maybe. A mastery build should be looking at around 7-9.

Quote Originally Posted by Reniat View Post
    10+ for a haste build maybe. A mastery build should be looking at around 7-9.
    Nehhh even without any haste 10 is possible and unless you play extremely conservatively you shouldn't be below 9.
    I know people who are doing 6-8 and they're wasting Death Runes on Heart Strikes....

My average for our last lei shen kill during ph3 (the only part that kills tanks ever) was 8.57. My average during last phase of our last Ra-den kill was 9.65, but that was with 27.9% uptime on time warp, since we lust in ph3. So unless you manage to have ~30% uptime on timewarp for the entire fight, I don't see how you can have 10+ with 0 haste.

That's still much more than 7 ~

7 to 9, not just 7. If you want to quote me in 1 number use the average (8), which is close. you have to realize that pretty much every single target fight has at least SOME downtime. Rarely do you get to beat on the boss for 100.0000000% of the fight. Examples: being thrown on JinRokh, moving between heads on Megaera, Transitioning to nests on Ji-kun, moving to the outside for pools on Durumu (yes it can occasionally target tanks), moving from boss to adds on primordius, Windstorm on Iron Qon, Nuclear Inferno on Twin Consorts, Transition phases on Lei Shen. All of these will automatically lower your DS/min, so if someone just wants to quick look at their rough DS/min on a fight without looking at specific intervals then 7-9 is a reasonable number (for a non-haste build). Sure, if you can guarantee 100% on the boss then 8-9 is more accurate, but mechanics are diverse, and therefore so is DS/min.

EDIT: @OP Not that DS/min actually means anything. As said before there are better ways to analyze your effectiveness as a tank.
    Last edited by Reniat; 2013-06-06 at 11:37 PM.

Sure there's that but except for Ji-Kun I still got more than 10/min even without reforging for haste, because those downtimes don't leave much of an impact on DS usage (since you still regen runes while being unable to hit something)

Do you have logs to backup your 10+ with no haste so we can compare DS/min as well as melee/min?

Hmmm hard to find old logs that aren't already deleted /:
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-dt...=12112&e=12624
    Last edited by Nillo; 2013-06-07 at 12:13 AM.

Do you have logs to backup your 10+ with no haste so we can compare DS/min as well as melee/min?
    9.4 with no haste using RC (the lowest) is theoretically possible:

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/...cal/RPWork.png

Time = 600 s (but we're going to divide this out anyway)
    RP_per_source = 10 RP
    HornCD = 20 s
    Haste = 0.00
    RuneMod = 0.20
    BaseRuneCD = 10 s
    SwingMod = 0.10
    BaseSwingTimer = 3.6 s
    RPMultiplier (RC) = 0.135

==> 4963.4 RP generated
    ==> 67 runes from RP
    ==> 216 runes from natural regeneration
    ==> (67 + 216) / 3 = 94 DS
    ==> (94 DS / 600 s) * (60 s / 1 min) = 9.43 DS / min

AMS soaking also not included, and pretty sure I heard CS-BB doesn't generate RP anymore, so that's not included. Over 10 is certainly doable.
    "I have it all simmed."
    Euliat

Ya guess I still had the prepatch numbers in my head because the CS does hurt quite a bit ~
    Also technically you should never have "no haste" due to AMS absorption and bl/heroism.

---------- Post added 2013-06-07 at 12:34 AM ----------

Meh whatever back to the topic of Blood Shield uptimes:
    There are some fights where the Blood Shield uptime matters.... but this is mainly to due it's synergy with Bone Shield so the interesting number is actually the Bone Shield uptime in this case. (for t15 that's mostly Megaera; t14 it was Gara'Jal)
    I also suspect that the uptimes will be significantly lower in 25's compared to 10's.
    Last edited by Nillo; 2013-06-07 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SSHA778 View Post
    9.4 with no haste using RC (the lowest) is theoretically possible:
    I'm not saying it's not possible, im just saying it's not realistic as a general "aim for this DS/min". Not that I think any DS/min is a "goal", since timing isn't primarily dependant on throughput. I promise you, i'm not wasting resources, and i've shown that my average numbers are closer to 8-9. That's using accurately timed death strikes, using DS to build shield when not tanking, and minimizing time away from melee range

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    Hmmm hard to find old logs that aren't already deleted /:
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-dt...=12112&e=12624
    Something is odd with that log. Your meta gem is getting ~34 PPM, which is about 65% higher than you would expect for a blood DK. Does the meta use the proc multiplier of 2h frost DKs, or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom51 View Post
    Something is odd with that log. Your meta gem is getting ~34 PPM, which is about 65% higher than you would expect for a blood DK. Does the meta use the proc multiplier of 2h frost DKs, or something?
    Hmm idk the ppm on horridon seems to be about 20% lower.

---------- Post added 2013-06-07 at 09:26 AM ----------

I'm not saying it's not possible, im just saying it's not realistic as a general "aim for this DS/min". Not that I think any DS/min is a "goal", since timing isn't primarily dependant on throughput.
    I admit that 10 was a too high estimate especially with the CS nerf, but still people having like 4-7 on a patchwerk style boss often indicates that they're doing something very wrong. (And yes the other raid in my guild has a blood dk doing 4.5 DS/min wasting most of his Death Runes on Heart Strikes)

I never said 4-7 was a good benchmark :S 4-7 means you are doing something wrong. 7-9 means you're probably doing it right with no haste, thought it's fight dependant. with large amounts of haste 10+ is expected. But again, DS/min still means nothing in terms of how well you are timing your death strikes, which is the most important thing.