Panorama and lobbying in the UK

For those that haven't seen this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ns_Undercover/

Quick description:
    Three years ago, David Cameron declared that lobbying was the 'next big scandal waiting to happen'. Now this Panorama special goes undercover to reveal lobbying practices which raise serious questions about standards in our political life. The programme's allegations have already contributed to a series of high-profile resignations and suspensions in Westminster.
    Personally I think this is disgusting. This basically means the UK political system has no bearing on democracy but more so on capitalism. It's atrocious and pretty disheartening to know that people can 'buy' power in parliament by paying off MPs and lobbying points. Perhaps I'm blowing this out of proportion (and the people in the video have been ... dealt with) but as an avid political activist in the UK (I'm a member of the Conservative party as well) it's both annoying and terrible.

I personally believe the coalition are doing an awesome job with their ... tough tasks but truly this is going to shake so much ground in Commons. :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Lobbying is nothing new, and has been around in some form since the creation of parliament, and prior to that, every form of government in the British Isles.

Is it undemocratic? Yes.

Will anything change in the forseeable future? Not really. Some heads will roll, but the dust will settle.If new legislation is brought in, then they will find other means to achieve their goal of influencing policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Lobbying is nothing new, and has been around in some form since the creation of parliament, and prior to that, every form of government in the British Isles.

Is it undemocratic? Yes.

Will anything change in the forseeable future? Not really. Some heads will roll, but the dust will settle.If new legislation is brought in, then they will find other means to achieve their goal of influencing policy.
    I think you miss the point. It's that lords and MPs are taking money for doing it.

Oh, Thanks for posting this.

Deleted
    In a few years enough awareness has been raised about how damaging lobbying is and major changes will be applied. I hope...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    I think you miss the point. It's that lords and MPs are taking money for doing it.
    Why else would they do it? For the good of the people? lol.

We have the same thing here, but It's called corruption.