Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    What is more curious is that it is twice as popular than Diablo III that supposedly gets a million people playing it daily. I guess people are still playing the hell out of it. Great job Arena Net!
    You have to compare MMO's with MMO's (other games have different activities in long term play) and as such an MMO without a subscription only took 40% of player actvity compared to a game with a 180 dollars yearly subscription.

That's telling everything really. So how would you explain that a game within the same genre that's buy to play is far less popular than a game which costs at least 4 times more to keep playing, probably more over several years.

Essentially it means that the MMO's no longer evolve, because WHAT would be the player base if GW2 even had a subscription...

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post

because WHAT would be
    if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle

. So how would you explain that a game within the same genre that's buy to play is far less popular than a game which costs at least 4 times more to keep playing, probably more over several years.
    It is a real brain teaser right enough. Its not like one game has had 8 years to build its player base and is released in ever region of the world...oh wait! Anyways that really has nothing to do with anything. GW2 seems to be doing pretty well. That was what the OP was asking.

It is far from dead, but I do notice that less and less people play. Most people I started playing with are back to WoW or real life. There are definitely noticeably less hardcore gamers. But again, it is far from dead.

Also Anet labels their servers very shadily, take all the high and very high praises with a grain of salt.

That's telling everything really. So how would you explain that a game within the same genre that's buy to play is far less popular than a game which costs at least 4 times more to keep playing, probably more over several years.
    I will respond to you even though I have you on ignore.

Because one of the games you are talking about was released before the other can had, at one point, 12 million subscribers. MMO's are a social game and you will read a huge number of posts by people who say they play the said game because their friends do. It's not about B2P or subscription, it's about having an established base. It's highly unlikely that any MMO will match that 12 million figure in the future, regardless of it's payment model. There are far more choices now days. Even the company in question has indicated that their subscriber numbers are dropping and will continue to drop throughout the year. Why don't you stop taking every opportunity to have a pot shot at GW2 and it's client base. It only makes you look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    They are spread like all other mmos, you have lots of people in the low zones, a handful of people spread over the next 40 odd zones then yet more people in the better farming spots or recent update zones. Its not an unpopular game, you'll gnerally run in to a fair few people, but I have been in an overflow server once and once only, its hardly setting the world on fire.
    I am constantly on overflow, my guild mates are even on different overflows than me most of the time, guess you're just lucky/unlucky, however you wanna see it.

Deleted
    Downloading the latest update; not sure why though. I play for a week or so getting tokens for gear and realise it's kind of futile.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triage View Post
    Downloading the latest update; not sure why though. I play for a week or so getting tokens for gear and realise it's kind of futile.
    I got full t14 gear, then restarted the process. Isn't everything futile in the end, even our very existence :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    I got full t14 gear, then restarted the process. Isn't everything futile in the end, even our very existence :P
    True :P

But I'm not very much into my cosmetics.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    According to XFire and Raptr GW2 is still the second most played MMO after WoW, so yes it is still very popular.
    really? God give brain

yes, it is played, but it lost a lot of players. The population is okay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triage View Post
    True :P

But I'm not very much into my cosmetics.
    Me neither, one would say its less futile getting more powerful gear because even questing will see an improvement I was just being facetious.

Quote Originally Posted by JajaBongs View Post
    really? God give brain

yes, it is played, but it lost a lot of players. The population is okay.
    And you know this how? Don't be in denial, GW2 is still doing very well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can vouch for it losing a lot of players that I know, anecdotal of course, but lets face it, its not the only MMO to lack player retention, looking at you swtor, rift, wow, tera...

10+ Year Old Account
    maybe not dead but very very quiet as ive been leveling a new character lately and the only players i see while doing a heart quest or some event is some high level looking for crafting materials or heading to/for a dungeon entrance or doing something related to an current event like dragon bash
    its quite hard to get any of the more difficult skill challenges or events done when i seem to be the only one in the zone and although i joined a new guild or do the odd bit of wvw for some extra exp it still feels less social than before

PVE is still active on high population servers. There are also a number of event tracking websites that can be used to see how many events are being completed in given zone, on any server, so you can guest over and join others if you like. It's really neat! (http://www.gw2state.com/) I started using this one a while back, but there might be a better one now.

WvW is where most of the population is at, but it's certainly not the only place.

I've never had an issue finding people for groups or whatnot and almost anywhere I go in the world I encounter other players. It seems rather active and felt much more alive than that other MMO ppl talk about has in years.

That being said, my personal friends come and go and come back. It's casual so individual people pop in and out all the time, which is totally fine =)

The latest Xfire numbers:

1 League of Legends 83,608
    2 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 45,390
    3 Call of Duty 2 23,820
    4 World of Warcraft 16,259
    5 Dota 2 7,230
    6 World Of Tanks 7,163
    7 Guild Wars 2 6,291
    8 Minecraft 6,273
    9 Star Wars: The Old Republic 4,869
    10 Battlefield 3 4,762

Can't say how accurate they are, of course. GW 2 has been sliding for awhile.
    Last edited by Stellan; 2013-06-24 at 01:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stellan View Post
    The latest Xfire numbers:

1 League of Legends 83,608
    2 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 45,390
    3 Call of Duty 2 23,820
    4 World of Warcraft 16,259
    5 Dota 2 7,230
    6 World Of Tanks 7,163
    7 Guild Wars 2 6,291
    8 Minecraft 6,273
    9 Star Wars: The Old Republic 4,869
    10 Battlefield 3 4,762

Can't say how accurate they are, of course. GW 2 has been sliding for awhile.
    Oh cool. If WoW has 8 million that would put GW2 at a little over 3 million
    Valar morghulis

3 million boxes sold is not 3 million players.

No, but it is 3 millions into the calculations ANet is basing their development on. Unlike other companies, the game doesn't go down the drain because sub money is missing out, because they never expected any. They can plan accordingly. That gives stability to the development I'd say.

Also, the game is still played. From my experience - which may or may not be relevant - GW2 is a nice MMO to play if raiding is not your thing. Or... if you feel that WoW has little else than raiding. I absolutely hate everything in WoW outside of raids. Right now, I raid in WoW and do everything else in GW2. Call me crazy, but I'm having a lot of fun that way. Just the last week, they introduced a few patches that let you play in a noir style crime story in GW2. And if you don't believe it worked well, you'd be wrong.

ANet takes new approaches, they surprise. Sometimes it doesn't work, but so far... more often than not it did work. But we'll never see properr PvE gameplay because the lack of a trinity kind of rules that out. So no PvE raids. Sniff.