Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Fix our Boomkin. His DPS is horrible.

Title says it all. Please fix our boomkin. Logs are provided below. I know that a couple of the other players suck too. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Please advise.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/96d966uodjrgn46k/

Looking at him in the armory.. why does he have Agi and dodge gems in his chest and weapon? that would cause a bit of a problem I have not played my druid in a while and from what I remember... balance druids dont use Agi and dodge tell him to look at his enchants,gems, reforges etc etc and see if that would increase some DPS.

Get the druid to even stand and attack target dummies until they reach a certain amount of DPS and just tell them straight up they need to do some research on their class,gems,rotation,stats etc if they want a raid spot and I am sure it will all come together and have a slightly higher DPS that is all I can say at the moment If I played my druid more I would look into the logs in detail but first he needs sort out gems and stuff first (The basics).

Deleted
    You only posted a log, and im to lazy to look for armory. So if he is actually wearing agil gems etc then you should just ban him from raiding immediately lol.

The log shows an uptime on dots of 71% ish, this is too low. Uptime on our dots should be close to 90%. An explanation that I can come up with is that he cycles to slowly through his eclipses, so he doesnt want to refresh them without nature's grace. That prob has something to do with his haste, or he is sleeping, I dont know. Let him look through the boomkin guide on the MMO forum, if he is too lazy for that, just tell him he cant raid anymore till he sorted shit out.. simple

Quote Originally Posted by Foresightqq View Post
    Title says it all. Please fix our boomkin. Logs are provided below. I know that a couple of the other players suck too. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Please advise.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/96d966uodjrgn46k/
    Theres a couple things he could try out. Try and bare with me as I go through this.

Firstly, he'll need to re-look over his gear and optimize it correctly. Agility and Dodge is not what he should be taking in anything. Intellect, Crit, Haste is good options.

Secondly, he's most likely doing his rotation wrong and not watching the debuffs he applies appropriately. His Moonfire and Sunfire should have 100% uptime. Use starsurge and starfall procs whenever he gets them. Then Moonfire or Wrath depending on what eclipse he's in. He needs to Dot everything up when he uses his cooldowns (assuming he has them macroed) and use Starfall.

Thirdly, his talents could potentially be looked at. Looking at his armory, he's taking talents for more burst damage. That's not really needed in a PvE situtation imo unless there's a burn phase involved. Potential solutions would be he could take Soul of the Forest (tier 4) and Heart of the Wild (tier 6) for more sustained damage. The two trinkets he's using allows for better sustained damage and not as good burst. A on-use trinket would be better for bursting. Chances are he'll be wandering how Heart of the Wild will be useful to him. It's the passive bonuses. As his gear increases, the bonuses get that much better. Having the ability to do tons of burst healing in a high damage phase of boss fight is also very handy. More utility imo. It's really a lot more useful then you think.

And lastly, the biggest culprit (this is also imo) to having low dps is bad reaction time. The best solution I can think of off the top of my head is to keybind his abilities so he can get to dealing with situations much easier.

Best of luck to him and you, hope this helped.

Looked over your logs. Your druid is trash. Get rid of him immediately - there's no fixing stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for help. Yes I know he is trash.. He just started playin but I totally agree. I need him to get better.. QUICK.

10+ Year Old Account
    I should want to help, given the fact his achievement points hint he's really pretty new to all this.

But I've spent the last ten minutes laughing. The name of the thread, the name of the owl and the dodge gems.

I'm struggling to retain a grip.

well i see on Megaera 50 Shooting stars, but but only like 35 starsurges, wich is bad because its insta cast and cd resets,

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serejai View Post
    Looked over your logs. Your druid is trash. Get rid of him immediately - there's no fixing stupid.
    Very helpful post.....keep up the good work, lol < sarcasm of course

15+ Year Old Account
    Keep posts on topic to actually helping the OP, please.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

10+ Year Old Account
    looking at his dot uptimes his Moonfire & Sunfire percentage uptimes are terrible.

harsh, but accurate.
    Hi

rofl...idiot

OT: Yeah big things I see, GEM! oh no..get those agi/dodge ones out lol. Intel/crit/haste good to go. Secondaly as said before for his talents, I would have him take SoF for tier 4 and HoW for last tier, they should help his sustained dmg. Also mentioned dot uptime should be closer to 100% looking at around 96-98% most likely. If he's unsure of how to go thru the roation quickly, give him some top boomy raid videos to watch so he can learn, and key binding is his best friend (if he doesn't already) He does seem semi-new still to the game, which we have all been there so don't give up on him yet lol. If he still sucks after all these tips and everything...then kick em to the curb. good luck

Infracted. Do not flame.
    Last edited by Sunfyre; 2013-05-29 at 04:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have him look up his class on sites like noxxic.com, elitistjerks.com or just type moonkin dps in a search page and do some reading....looking at his armory I see he has 4p T14...there are haste caps that he needs to reach, w/o T14 4p the haste cap is 5273, but if you have the 4p T14
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.icy-veins.com
    If you have the Tier 14 4-Piece Bonus, Moonfire Icon Moonfire and Sunfire Icon Sunfire tick 8 times, every 2 seconds (up from 7 times). This changes the haste value at which you get a third additional tick, which becomes 31.276%. Balance Druids need 3,706 Haste Rating to reach that value.
    Reforge as much as he can to crit.

10+ Year Old Account
    LOL I know.. I am tryin to get him up to par.. Not going so well. Maybe I will make him go heals.

aabay123, your post is civil and gentle, even when derogatory names are flying in the posts surrounding yours. I approve.

Quote Originally Posted by aabay123 View Post
    Theres a couple things he could try out. Try and bare with me as I go through this.
    Anyone else giggle at the misspelling of "bear with me" in a drd thread? Just sayin'.

Thanks for the Help

Quote Originally Posted by aabay123 View Post

Firstly, he'll need to re-look over his gear and optimize it correctly. Agility and Dodge is not what he should be taking in anything. Intellect, Crit, Haste is good options.

Best of luck to him and you, hope this helped.
    Thanks aabay123. I did my first raid in late January13 and have been trying to find out how to improve. It is frustrating to always be at the bottom of the DPS and it seems not for a lack of trying. Foresight will tell you that about all I consistently do right is show up to raids on time . I am not quite sure how I ended up with the wrong gems, I will go back and fix this immediately (after I finish my honey do list.) I would appreciate ongoing dialog as I work to improve.

Maybe I will make him go heals.
    So he can gem that Agility and Hit?

Infracted.
    Last edited by Sunfyre; 2013-05-30 at 04:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Problem 1, indicated to me by the fact that you're posting this thread,

it seems like you're bothered by it more than he is. Meaning that he's not looking to improve nearly as strongly as you wish your team to do well. Mentality is a big thing, if the will to improve isn't there... You're not going to improve a lot.

Considering the incredible DPS, and the fact that the armory reveals almost nothing but the glaring agility gems (something you could have probably figured out yourself before posting a thread anyways :P), I'd say it's all basic mechanics. Truly, keeping his DoTs up and not refreshing them prematurely, then simply spamming Starsurge whenever available and mashing that Wrath/Starfire button to pieces and pressing all other boomkin buttons directly off cooldown, his DPS would probably increase by a fair bit.
    If you really want to handhold, here's the checklist. Check whether this person is a 100%clicker+keyboardturner or not. Clicking his 5 core rotational spells in non-LFR raids would cause a massive DPS drop, along the lines of what you're seeing. Keyboard turning makes movement take a lot longer, and since boomkins cant cast and move at the same time, it would also explain a fairly big drop. If he does use keybinds, it's kinda worth checking how much time he spends casting. Caster rule nr 1: Always Be Casting. Some people wait before they see that the global cooldown is over, or the previous cast is over, before they start pressing their next spell's button. Human reaction time and latency combined, this can lose you up to 30% DPS depending on how bad it is.
    Next check whether he's gotten 502 or higher shoulder or hand items, and 522 or higher legs or head items. Getting such massive ilvl boosts is easily worth losing setbonuses over, especially when you're not at that skill level that you know how to properly turn setbonuses into massive DPS-gains yet. Even if the itemisation on it isn't great: more int means more flat DPS, meaning that more int is good.
    Last, you might want to get him to do the legendary questchain. It's all small bonuses, but he doesn't have an extra socket on his weapon. He doesn't have an upgraded metagem. And he doesn't have an ilvl 600 cloak (nobody does, but everybody should work towards it, and the fact that he misses those previous 2 things simply mean that he's nowhere near working towards it as of yet.) He's been 90 since december, so that can't be the reason behind it.

I wish you good luck, but like I said, if he's not the one trying to improve himself it won't help much, and if he is it would help a lot more to give him the regular sites with good guides (good ones, not noxxic, and icyveins is not great for the average class either), rather than you giving him a few points. If he doesn't know where to look to get better, that is how you can help the boomkin fix himself.

TLDR: We can't fix your boomkin, you can't fix your boomkin, you can only help the boomkin learn how to fix himself, if he is willing.
    Ex-GM and Raidleader of the MoX Purple Kittens Raidteam on Twisting Nether (formerly Grim Batol), RIP, Winter 2010 - Spring 2013.
    Armory. WoWProgress. Might start streaming Soon(tm) http://twitch.tv/szem/

Quote Originally Posted by georgebanks View Post
    Thanks aabay123. I did my first raid in late January13 and have been trying to find out how to improve. It is frustrating to always be at the bottom of the DPS and it seems not for a lack of trying. Foresight will tell you that about all I consistently do right is show up to raids on time . I am not quite sure how I ended up with the wrong gems, I will go back and fix this immediately (after I finish my honey do list.) I would appreciate ongoing dialog as I work to improve.
    Hi Georgebanks,

First let me apologize for some of the posts here. As I'm sure you're aware, the internet is full of people who try and fill the black void inside of themselves by putting others down. Don't let it get you down!

I'm assuming you're playing WoW for the same reason I am . . . to have fun. Don't worry, I've coached a lot of "low performing" DPS players into pretty solid raiders over the years (I used to run a monthly boot camp for our guild), and I'm sure you're no different than any of them.

As a new player, here's some things I see you doing right:

1. Your DPS curve roughly follows that of your best raid members. Your damage spikes when theirs does, and dips when theirs does (generally), so this tells me you understand the raid mechanics. That's a good sign.

2. You recognize that you're new and have much to learn. That's a huge advantage. Too often, ego gets in the way of improving. Bravo for taking a step out here.

3. Thus far you seem to have a great attitude towards it. Keep your chin up and make the process a fun challenge. Keep challenging yourself to do better each pull, and you'll have a lot of fun doing it.

How to get yourself started:

1. Don't rely on the advice in this thread in terms of your rotation. Much of it is going to be far too advanced for you right now. Your job is to get the basics down first, then layer on the more expert tips/advice.

2. In keeping with that, go to http://www.askmrrobot.com and load up your character. Then click "optimize" and just do what it tells you to do. Maybe in a couple of weeks, go back and start trying to understand why it's recommending the gems/enchants it is, and see if there is a more optimal strategy. But for now you just put on your +Int gearset, and have askmrrobot do the math for you.

3. For your talents, just use this for right now: http://www.noxxic.com/wow/pve/druid/...ild-and-glyphs

4. For your rotation, use this http://www.noxxic.com/wow/pve/druid/...-and-cooldowns . Don't get too caught up in the cooldown section at first, just go to the target dummy and practice the rotation. Then once you're comfortable with it, add in one of the cooldowns listed. After you've figured that out, add in another. Repeat that until you understand how they work and could do it in your sleep.

5. Get a solid single target rotation going, then work on the AoE section.

Do this practice, then run your raid, and report back.

Good luck and have fun!

Have him look up armory of good moonkins in high end raiding guilds and even similar progression content as yourself. Do some research using the resources such as the moonkin guide on mmo and other helpful sites. It seems like he mistakenly gemmed it and just didn't bother looking at the piece or something. Happens to a lot of people that play multiple roles (assuming he plays more then one spec). If you do not want to waste the time in making him a better player, you can replace him with a better solid player. It is up to raid leader to decide what to do with this specific raider.